Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:36:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What to say?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to say?  (Read 2478 times)
Tuomoko

In Yeshua I got my salvation

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2004, 07:33:48 PM »

..to people who say that

'I just don't understand what makes christianity better than living ordinary, good life so that you don't hurt anybody and you try to do as much good as you can.' 'I can't believe that i will go to hell. That makes God evil if he's gonna put me into hell.'

I have many friends who say that to me and I really cannot explain it the way THEY could understand. I mean, reading Bible verses to them isn't gonna help. :/

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 10:34:21 PM »

'I just don't understand what makes christianity better than living ordinary, good life so that you don't hurt anybody and you try to do as much good as you can.' 'I can't believe that i will go to hell. That makes God evil if he's gonna put me into hell.'

How 'bout:

Well, I must be God, in order for me to claim that God is evil.

Or,

"Oh, then, you're without sin?!"

Or,

"Oh, well, I never make any mistakes either."
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 08:10:14 AM »

"good"...cannot wash  a  sin stained soul...but the blood of Gods Son can.  Would an evil God make such a sacrifice for you or I?

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:25:47 AM »

hello brother tuomoko,

I see many people say that too, "If I just live a good life, why would I still go to hell?" It's a logical question and there is an answer. In most cases, the problem isnt that we can't provide an adequate answer, the problem is that your friends just can't accept it into their hearts. This we can only ask God in prayer.

If they just can't understand what you are saying or the bible verses you're showing them, you can use an approach like this:

They say
"I just don't understand what makes christianity better than living ordinary, good life so that you don't hurt anybody and you try to do as much good as you can.' 'I can't believe that i will go to hell. That makes God evil if he's gonna put me into hell."

We can say
"That's a good proposition but let me ask you a question: can you live a life without EVER doing anything bad? You may be striving to live a good life but we know that no one is perfect. At some moment down the road you are going to do something bad. You may say, "Well, I'm not like a rapist or a serial killer." That may be true, but regardless, you still have disobeyed God and you are accountable for every single action throughout your entire life. The truth is, you can't live a good perfect life even if you try.

You say, 'I just don't understand what makes christianity better than living ordinary, good life.' Think for a second: you are born on earth but you know for sure you are going to die. It's the one thing in our life that we know is inevitable. Is there really a purpose for being famous, rich, reputable here on earth when you know that you will lose it? You live a life without purpose. You were meant to live a life with purpose; a life with God. Christianity is not about having a set of rules you must follow; its about having a relationship with God! This is why Christianity is better than living an ordinary, good life.

You may try to live a good life but the truth is you can't. You may feel you dont deserve to spend an eternity in hell, but God just cannot allow sin (disobediance) into heaven. God is not evil, it's just not possible. You feel that God is so evil because you've tried to live a good life and you're still going to hell. NEWS FLASH: God already provided a way for you to get to heaven and its a lot easier than trying to live a good life! It's simply faith; faith in Jesus. You yourself are too weak to earn your way into heaven. God knew this and provided a free gift to any who would listen. He is not evil, He loves you. The time to listen is now..."

May not exactly go that way...but the things you must point out is that:
1) They are sinners
2) They cannot earn they're own way into heaven; They can't save themselves; They're too weak to lead a perfect sinless life.
3) They understand that Jesus knew this and willingly accepted the punishments of their sins so that they may live with God in heaven. They need to know to put their faith into Jesus and what He did for them

Please refer to these threads!!!!!!
http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=5023

and another good one that will grab their attention
http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=5246

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 05:24:51 AM »

..to people who say that

I have many friends who say that to me and I really cannot explain it the way THEY could understand. I mean, reading Bible verses to them isn't gonna help. :/

Please Remember God Loves you! He Sent Jesus to Die for your Sins, and He has a  ~> Free Gift for you!!. Just Ask Him and He'll be there!

I Love you Brother and so does God!!! Grin

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn
MsGuidedAngel

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 05:14:30 PM »

..to people who say that

I share your frustration with these arguments.   Its difficult to get some people to view it from Gods perspective.   Felix makes some good points in his post.

As people, when we start to view life from our own standard of morality rather than Gods, its a no win situation.   This is a trap that even some Christians fall into.  e.g. Well, I don't think God would disaprove of such and such etc.   As sanctified believers, we are set aside for Gods Holiness in our lives, and must base our morality on Gods view, not mans.   So this must be the starting point when answering questions like this.   Any reasonable human being knows very well they are not perfect, and fall short of perfection and holiness.    Christians are not perfect, they are forgiven!   When God views the heart of man, He is looking for pure perfect holiness.   Christians die to self, and allow the holy spirit to take up residence in our hearts, to guide our lives, and live by Gods standard of Holiness.   Even though we are not perfect, God see's His Son in our lives.   His forgiveness removes us from our sin as far as the east is from the west.  

Its hard to get this through to some folks who don't accept scripture as Christians would, but you simply have no alternative for explaining Gods perspective.   Speak the word of truth from scripture!  Let the Holy Spirit do the rest.  When you speak it, the holy spirit is capable of moving the hearts of men.   Simply share it, and let God do his thing.   Its not about making a sound argument for God....thats already set forth in scripture.   Its about sharing that truth and letting Him do the rest

Rom 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Joh 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

It sounds too simple to be effective doesn't it?   But it isn't.   Most times this will move the conversation to whether or not the bible can be trusted which will open the door to talk about scripture.   Prayer is often overlooked in these cases.   Pray for them, that God will tenderize their hearts to hear his gospel.

Listen to there responses carefully.   If you don't know the answer tell them you will look into the matter for them and try to find the answers....follow up! by doing research in the word.   Not only will this help them, but it will help improve your witness in the future.

Keep a prayerful heart and ask God to make you a better, and more effective witness for Him....He will!   I will be praying for you also Tuomoko, that God will give you the right words to speak, and in the process strengthen your own walk with the Lord.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Tuomoko

In Yeshua I got my salvation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:50:33 AM »

Thank you very much for your help. I liked this very much:

We can say
"That's a good proposition but let me ask you a question: can you live a life without EVER doing anything bad? You may be striving to live a good life but we know that no one is perfect. At some moment down the road you are going to do something bad. You may say, "Well, I'm not like a rapist or a serial killer." That may be true, but regardless, you still have disobeyed God and you are accountable for every single action throughout your entire life. The truth is, you can't live a good perfect life even if you try.

You say, 'I just don't understand what makes christianity better than living ordinary, good life.' Think for a second: you are born on earth but you know for sure you are going to die. It's the one thing in our life that we know is inevitable. Is there really a purpose for being famous, rich, reputable here on earth when you know that you will lose it? You live a life without purpose. You were meant to live a life with purpose; a life with God. Christianity is not about having a set of rules you must follow; its about having a relationship with God! This is why Christianity is better than living an ordinary, good life.

Also I am only now really starting my new life so it's not a surprise i don't really know what to answer to different questions. But I will know someday! Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the