Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:51:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Forgiveness
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Are Christians truly called to "forgive & forget"?
yes - 3 (75%)
no - 1 (25%)
maybe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgiveness  (Read 1988 times)
beautiflnblessed

God chose 2 love U-What will U choose 2 do today?

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2003, 11:09:39 PM »

Tell me what you think...

One Love & God Bless
Bronzesnake
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 11:22:50 PM »

Hello BnB.

We are required to forgive and not necessarily to forget.
If for example, a person was to mollest my child I am required to forgive, but I can tell you I would never forget. That person would never get the chance to commit that crime again.

Another less serious example would be, if I lent my car to a friend and he went out, got drunk, and crashed. I would forgive my friend, but he would never get a car from me again.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 11:24:40 PM by Bronzesnake » Logged
chanelle

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 11:29:04 PM »

We are for sure called to forgive.  Forgetting is a different story sometimes.  It is not the same thing but I can see that the two words are used together often, sometimes for good reason, sometimes for not good reason.. Example, to forgive means to get beyond using the misdeed to hurt or retaliate(revenge), forget means total absence of memory of the deed.  When someone has done a wrong, we must forgive for our own benefit, when we don't we end up suffering because of the unforgiveness.  However in some cases, it is wise to remember to not let ourselves be put in the same position again.  Hope this explanation helps.  I have found it much easier to forgive others since looking at the whole issue from this perspective.  God bless.
SonofAslan

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 12:00:28 AM »

I disagree. Forgiveness is the restoration of a relationship that was broken by another person's actions. This is what it means to be forgiven by God. We are restored to the relationship we should have with God. And this is what it means to forgive others. Restore them to teh relationship that you had with them previously. This is why "forget" is often associated with forgiveness. God says "I will remember your sins no more".

The car or the child molester? Forgiveness doesn't mean we overlook other people's weaknesses. I may forgive my friend for getting drunk and committing sin "A", but once I know he has a problem with alcohol, I'm going to do everything i can to prevent him from drinking. So also, I will never let my child near a child molester again. As much for the molester's sake as for teh child's. The car, I'll make sure my friend doesn't drink and drive again. Again, as much for his sake as for anyone he might hit in the car.

THAT is, i believe, what it means to forgive and forget. God forgets our sins because He is going to heal us so sin isn't a weakness for us any more. If we let Him.
Krazeekkc

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 06:22:40 PM »

"Forgive & Forget" is the most stupidest saying that has come to be!  Angry You can't forget what has happened in the past! It's in your memory! Your brain isn't a computer you can't just delete something like that! Ugh, I hate that saying!  Angry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the