Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  If Jesus is God in the Flesh?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Jesus is God in the Flesh?  (Read 7894 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 08:04:39 PM »

MalkyEL,

I was not attempting to take away from the God part of Christ.   Clearly however, Christ was dealing with the stress of his humanity in the garden....

To quote the same passage....

Mat 26:37  And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
Mat 26:38  Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
Mat 26:39  And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Mat 26:40  And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Mat 26:41  Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Mat 26:42  He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

and

Luk 22:42  Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
Luk 22:43  And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
Luk 22:44  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

This is stress my friend!   Jesus asked several times, if it were possible, let this cup pass!  Yet He (the word/flesh) was willing to obey and embrase His Fathers will.   Jesus was 100% God as you say, but He was also 100% man capable of experiencing all of the emotions and stress we experience.   He was equally both!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 01:36:01 AM »

I do not know why there is an issue here when there shouldnt be. I believe this issue has run amuck over the semantics of the word anxiety.

I could have just said the anguish he felt for having to carry the weight of the world's sin on him; or the stress he felt for having to face the consequences of the sin of the world; or the agony he had for having to take the sins of mankind on himself.......and I WOULD HAVE MEANT THE EXACT SAME THING AS:
Jesus faced anxiety as he was praying in the garden.

The problem is probably because there are negative connotations to the word anxiety that we normally wouldnt attribute to God. The err is believing that if Jesus suffered from some problem, then He is not God because God is basically immune to all of that. As pointed out, Jesus was man in that he suffered everything a man would suffer, yet Jesus was God because He was willing to take all that suffering upon Himself for the sake of His Father and every single one of us. I do not worship or love Jesus because He is an all powerful God that created everything. I love and worship Jesus because He died for me so that I would be redeemed from my own sins.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:38:49 AM by felix102 » Logged
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 07:55:14 AM »

Probably right Felix.....symantics!

I understood what you were trying to say though.   Wink

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
vsj

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 09:02:31 AM »

How come Jesus prayed to God and asked him to take this cup from him(That he would'nt have to die on the cross is my understanding)?  I am really trying to understand all this but it is very confusion to me.  I need all the help I can get!
  Thanks again

Hi, Bawilli;

I struggled with this question for years until Jesus enlightened me that, being fully God and fully man, the flesh part of God, Jesus -- the man part -- had to pray to God just as do we. Just as we are flesh, Jesus, being man (God in the flesh), did not know what the Father knew and he had to pray. In the following Scripture, we can transpose Jesus in place of Elias. Even though Jesus was God, when he was incarnated in the flesh, he became subject to the same passions (feelings) just as we experience feelings.

James 5:17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

When Jesus taught, He was teaching as God, and knew all the Father's will and thoughts.

Matthew 7:29 For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes.

I hope this helps, Bawilli.

Blessings ><(((:>
vsj
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the