Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Evangelism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evangelism  (Read 2877 times)
Subs

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2003, 10:41:24 AM »

Is there any hope in evangelism in modern society?
Anselm

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 12:03:04 PM »

No.  There is no hope in the act of prosyletizing in and of it self in the modern world.  Man is just as much antogonized by the word of God today as he ever was.  He is a hopeless wanderer rationalizing his autonomy from God.  But with God all things are possible.  And God still sends His Holy Spirit to bring the truth home to His chosen.  Many are called but few are chosen.  God is rich in mercy where the modern world is rich in selfishness.  And remember even when we were His enemies, Christ died for us.
John the Baptist
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 10:12:27 PM »

Hi, John here:
I will get hung for this, but here goes anyway. Read Matt. 10:5-6? Christ Commanded.. 'GO TO THE LOST SHEEP OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL' (That is us in Rom. 2:28-29!!)

Todays denominations have to figure out the purpose of evangelism first! Christ taught to teach them to observe ALL things whatsoever that I have COMMANED you! (see Matt. 28:20) Read the forum here & your will see 'mass' confussion! Cry

Christ's Words call for an end time SLAUGHTER of His professed church in Eze. 9. So the message when read there, cannot hardly find any, but for an extreme few (by today's standards) saved when one reads the whole chapter? Huh

Then there are the Anti/Christ great whore & her daughter denominations of the Rev.? Evangelize with these??? They do not even understand Acts 5:32 or the Born Again life! See 2 Cor. 3:3. Cry

Notice what the Master says in Matt. 23:15 about the past/tense ones who are in this todays condition, (see Rev. 3:9) and think EVANGELISM?
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land [to make one proselyte, and when he is made, YE MAKE HIM TWOFOLD MORE THE CHILD OF HELL THAN YOURSELVES]." Cry

If there [was] any hope at all, it would need to start with finding Christ INSIDE the denomination! See Josh. 7:12's last part of the verse? Evangelism would need to be laid aside & a WHOLESALE CLEANUP JOB DONE INSIDE THE FILTH for Christ to ever [COME BACK] to these wholesale pretenders!

That is, if one believes Christ Word in the first place?? Check Matt. 25's ALL SLEEPING? And Rev. 3:16-17 BLIND? LUKEWARM? And 'NAKED' of CHRIST RIGHTOUSNESS! Yet, all the while these ones are thinking that they are RICH??? And 1 John 2:4?
John's description of 'LIAR' seems strong enough to discribe a cheapened powerless profession! Whatcha think? See Phil 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9.

---John
asaph
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 12:16:19 AM »

Mat 16:13  When Jesus and his disciples were near the town of Caesarea Philippi, he asked them, "What do people say about the Son of Man?"
Mat 16:14  The disciples answered, "Some people say you are John the Baptist or maybe Elijah or Jeremiah or some other prophet."
Mat 16:15  Then Jesus asked them, "But who do you say I am?"
Mat 16:16  Simon Peter spoke up, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Mat 16:17  Jesus told him: Simon, son of Jonah, you are blessed! You didn't discover this on your own. It was shown to you by my Father in heaven.
Mat 16:18  So I will call you Peter, which means "a rock." On this rock I will build my church, and death itself will not have any power over it.
Mat 16:19  I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and God in heaven will allow whatever you allow on earth. But he will not allow anything that you don't allow.
Mat 16:20  Jesus told his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Mat 16:21  From then on, Jesus began telling his disciples what would happen to him. He said, "I must go to Jerusalem. There the nation's leaders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law of Moses will make me suffer terribly. I will be killed, but three days later I will rise to life."

Who is bulding the Church?
answer-Jesus.

What is the Church?
answer- The risen Christ and His Body.

Will death prevail against Christ and His Body?
answer- NO!

1 Do not let your heart be troubled; believe into God, believe also into Me.

2 In My Father's house are many abodes; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you to Myself, so that where I am you also may be.

4 And where I am going you know the way.

5 Thomas said to Him, Lord, we do not know where You are going; how can we know the way?

6 Jesus said to him, I am the way and the reality and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.

Are we to have troubled hearts?
answer- no

How many abodes are there in the Fathers house?
answer- many

Is this passage talking about heaven?
answer- no

Then what is Jesus talking about?
answer- Himself as the Fathers house; another way of describing the Body of Christ.

Where was Jesus at the time of this speaking?
answer- in the Father

Why did Jesus say: "that where I am you also may be"?
answer- Jesus desires us to be in the father also. John 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

What is the Kingdom of Heaven?
answer- Christ and His Body-the Church

What is evangelism?
answer- Christ at work through His Body bringing many sons to glory.

Will Christ cease to do His work?
answer-no!

Heb 2:10  For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
Heb 2:11  For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
Heb 3:6  But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
1Co 12:27  Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
Eph 5:30  For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31  For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

asaph

chanelle

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 12:30:31 AM »

Believers are called to spread the gospel of Christ to the world.  Luke 12:8-9

It does seem hopeless as the world's condition worsens all the time and Satan runs rampant.  There are also people within the churches that are lost and thus there are false prophets also.  The bible warns of this repeatedly.

If you want to understand what the church's responsibility to the world is, read the letters of Paul and Acts.  These books are easy and interesting to read. Smiley

Jesus does not want any person to perish but all to come to repentance.  The purpose of evangelism is to spread the word and help others to repentance.  NOT HOPELESS.
servant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 03:57:29 AM »

Evangelism does often seem hopeless. Speaking from personal experience, the burden needed, in prayer and action, to bring a single one of the lost to a saving knowledge of God can take years.

The fact that evangelism is difficult does not provide us with an excuse, however. Neither does the dross in the present-day church. No church was perfect; if you take a hard look at the church of Acts and of Biblical times, you will find that even though many were filled with the Spirit more than it sometimes seems today, there were still very divisive issues, including things as apparently simple (to us) as the salvation of Gentiles. Regardless of anyone's imperfections, be they ours, be they the church's, or be they those of the people we witness to, evangelism is our responsibility and our duty as Christians.

Observe these words spoken by God to the prophet Ezekiel:

"Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them,

When I bring a sword upon the land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: If when he sees the sword come upon the land, he blows the trumpet, and warns the people; then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet, and takes no warning, and the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took no warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that takes warning shall deliver his soul.

But if the watchman sees the sword coming, and blows not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword comes, and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand" (2-6).

There are, in essence, three possibile outcomes of our choices regarding evangelism. If we picture ourselves as the guard, we can see these three possibilities:

1.) If we warn the people, we fulfill our duty. They listen, and are saved.

2.) If we warn the people, we fulfill our duty. Nonetheless, they do not listen, and by their own fault are they saved.

3.) If we do not warn the people, they cannot know to be saved. Their blood is on our hands.

Evangelism is very difficult, and always has been. People do not confess before the Lord easily. But this should give us pause: If we simply do not bother even trying to share our knowledge of the Lord, then it is us whom he questions regarding their lack of faith, as well as they themselves.
servant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 03:58:45 AM »

For easy reference, that passage in my above post is from Ezekiel 33. Sorry for not mentioning that.
John the Baptist
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 07:02:16 AM »

Mat 16:13  When Jesus and his disciples were near the town of Caesarea Philippi, he asked them, "What do people say about the Son of Man?"
Mat 16:14  The disciples answered, "Some people say you are John the Baptist or maybe Elijah or Jeremiah or some other prophet."
Mat 16:15  Then Jesus asked them, "But who do you say I am?"
Mat 16:16  Simon Peter spoke up, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Mat 16:17  Jesus told him: Simon, son of Jonah, you are blessed! You didn't discover this on your own. It was shown to you by my Father in heaven.
Mat 16:18  So I will call you Peter, which means "a rock." On this rock I will build my church, and death itself will not have any power over it.
Mat 16:19  I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and God in heaven will allow whatever you allow on earth. But he will not allow anything that you don't allow.
Mat 16:20  Jesus told his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Mat 16:21  From then on, Jesus began telling his disciples what would happen to him. He said, "I must go to Jerusalem. There the nation's leaders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law of Moses will make me suffer terribly. I will be killed, but three days later I will rise to life."

Who is bulding the Church?
answer-Jesus.

What is the Church?
answer- The risen Christ and His Body.

Will death prevail against Christ and His Body?
answer- NO!

1 Do not let your heart be troubled; believe into God, believe also into Me.

2 In My Father's house are many abodes; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you to Myself, so that where I am you also may be.

4 And where I am going you know the way.

5 Thomas said to Him, Lord, we do not know where You are going; how can we know the way?

6 Jesus said to him, I am the way and the reality and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.

Are we to have troubled hearts?
answer- no

How many abodes are there in the Fathers house?
answer- many

Is this passage talking about heaven?
answer- no

Then what is Jesus talking about?
answer- Himself as the Fathers house; another way of describing the Body of Christ.

Where was Jesus at the time of this speaking?
answer- in the Father

Why did Jesus say: "that where I am you also may be"?
answer- Jesus desires us to be in the father also. John 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

What is the Kingdom of Heaven?
answer- Christ and His Body-the Church

What is evangelism?
answer- Christ at work through His Body bringing many sons to glory.

Will Christ cease to do His work?
answer-no!

Heb 2:10  For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
Heb 2:11  For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
Heb 3:6  But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
1Co 12:27  Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
Eph 5:30  For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31  For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

asaph

Hi, John here:
There are good verses in the above post. There are also troubling statments beside them. Rather than to remove most of the post that I read, let me just give a couple verses for ones to compare with the 'added' instruction by the post?

Christ's church is what? Heavenly Zion is agreed on, surely?
With Christ Himself BEING THE CHIEF CORNER STONE! Yet,
we are on His earth & He has STATED HIS TRUTH that there is to be a DENOMINATION ORGANIZED upon earth, that the GATES OF HELL WILL NOT MOVE!

These ones are intrusted with the KEYS of the KINGDOM BY HE HIMSELF. (CHRIST)  Membership ON EARTH add to or deleat from THE ZION CHURCH IN HEAVEN'S DENOMINATION! (Christ states in Matt. 18:15-18 & 16:18-19)

And yes a whole denomination can be, was, and will be again removed, an another put into its place! Israel for one, see Rev. 2:5 for this Truth that it WILL happen! And Rev. 3:9 for IT HAPPENING AGAIN!! (compare Rev. 3:16-17's SPEWED OUT DENOMINATION)

There IS ONLY ONE BODY of believers today with Virgin doctrines. (NOTICE THAT VIRGIN DOCTRINES SAVE NO ONE. BUT IT DOES TAKE *BOTH CHRIST WITH HIS PURE VIRGINAL TEACHINGS TO BE ZION'S CHURCH) See Matt. 23:2.

The Seventh-day Adventist denomination is that Virgin denomination, yet they qualify with PURE DOCTRINES ONLY while not with having the Rightousness of Christ in their fellowship. (see Rev. 3:16-17 & Isaiah 5:3 & verse 7)

And surely there some there that will leave who hold to the best light that they so far have! Yet this 'light' is not in doctrinal error, but as it was stated by Christ to His own in Matt. 23:2.

"ALL therefore whatsoever they [bid you observe, that observe and do;] but [do not after their works: for they say, and do not.]"

These are the ones that came [out] of the above EVANGELISTIC CRUSADE with the Master going to His [OWN] and then sending his new church denomination BACK in Matt. 10:5-6 in real evangelism! And so it is & will continue to be the same history done today! (see Eccl. 1:9-10 & Eccl. 3:15!)

OK: Was there an EARTHLY DENOMINATION WITH 'KEYS' OF THE KINGDOM? SURELY! MANY members? HARDLY! (broad & narrow pathway) Can CHRIST DO A NEW THING Huh NO! Not without telling us so. Like a world flood or that 'sin WILL NOT areise a SECOND TIME'. Na 1:9.

It is just that simple, CHRIST REQUIRES ORGANIZED UNITY!! ALL ELSE IS 's'atans stuff as can be seen in his last heavenly rebellious work of DIS/ORDER! (earthly Babylon error)
[Here they are] as seen in Rev. 12:17. Notice their IDENTIFYING TRUTH along with the READINESS of doing His evangelistic work.. (and again, *read Eze. 9)

"  And the dragon was wroth with the woman, (the devil had the first woman! see Matt. 23:38, who took over?) and went to make [WAR with the REMNANT OF HER SEED, WHICH *KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD (did you catch that? the original ten of GOD in the O.T.) [AND] the [TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST]." Rev. 12:17.

The TESTIMONY of CHRIST??
Notice the WORD'S WORD OF 'EPISTLE' in 2 Cor. 3:3! This Word means [LETTER OF CHRIST], or [His Testimony]! CHARACTER TRAITS. HIS COMMANDMENTS REPRODUCED INTO THE FLESHEY TABLES OF THE HEART & Mind by the HOLY GHOST! (John 3:3)
Born Again, Converted! These ones OBEY BECAUSE THEY *LOVE THEIR MASTER! Acts 5:32.

Now for the hanging process, huh? (beheading perhaps)

---John

PS: Got to run.. you blink at the spelling errors ect.!

ollie
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 07:46:39 PM »

The hope through faith that comes from the word of God says, "Yes".
The gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation.
I don't think God has removed that power yet.

Romans1:16.  For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 01:01:03 PM by ollie » Logged
John the Baptist
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 08:04:17 PM »

No, just a few 'narrow way' ones Ollie! And it is the REJECTING of the Power of God that IS THE PROBLEM! See Phil. 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9

You can put yourself in a bo-bo corner Cry. 'To SAY otherwise is not rejecting the Power of God!' By the way, perhaps 2 Cor. 4:2 would be a good verse for ones study?

---John

Yes!

To say other wise would be to reject the power of God, His Son Jesus Christ, and His Word.

Romans1:16.  For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
ollie
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 06:35:38 AM »

2 Timothy 4:3.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
 4.  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
 5.  But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Verse 5 tells us there is hope. Paul is telling Timothy that even though people will turn their ears from the truth, he should endure and do the work of an evangelist.

Preach the word of God and it will call people to Christ.
2 Thessalonians 2:14.  Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ACTS 2:39.  For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 06:35:54 PM by ollie » Logged
John the Baptist
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 02:11:46 PM »

2 Timothy 3.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
 4.  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
 5.  But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Verse 5 tells us there is hope. Paul is telling Timothy that even though people will turn their ears from the truth, he should endure and do the work of an evangelist.

No Ollie,
that is not what the verse says!

Numbers are meaningless. Only a few are to be saved in comparison. The only thing we can be, or [should] be concerned with is Isaiahs 55:11's verse.

"So [shall my Word be] that goeth forth out of My mouth: [IT SHALL NOT RETURN UNTO ME VOID,] but it shall [ACCOMPLISH THAT WHICH I PLEASE, AND PROSPER IN THE THING WHERETO I SENT IT]."

Some plant seed, some watered the seed. BUT GOD GAVE THE INCREASE as the Everlasting Gospel teaches! That of personal [unconditional] acceptence of Christ. (see Matt. 28:20-Acts 5:32) Freedom of DECISION on our part is the only way the God will HAVE us! See Gen. 4:7.

And: By the way, is it a sin to just say that you made a mistake & move on? And also, your referance of 2 Tim. 3? Do you mean 2 Tim. 4:3-5?

---John
ollie
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 01:15:37 PM »

No, just a few 'narrow way' ones Ollie! And it is the REJECTING of the Power of God that IS THE PROBLEM! See Phil. 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9
Yes, narrow is the way and few will enter therein. Yes, the rejection of God's power is a problem with many but not all. There are still hearts receiving Jesus Christ. There are hearts receiving Satan.

You can put yourself in a bo-bo corner Cry. 'To SAY otherwise is not rejecting the Power of God!'
You are right. I misworded my statement. It wasn't what I wanted to say. It has been changed. To say there is no hope in evangelising is not necessarily rejecting the power of God. However it would not show the enthusiasm for God's word that I am sure He expects from His people.

By the way, perhaps 2 Cor. 4:2 would be a good verse for ones study?

---John

2 Corinthians 4:2.  But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

I don't understand the relevancy of this verse to the topic?
 Huh

Yes!

To say other wise would be to reject the power of God, His Son Jesus Christ, and His Word.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 01:18:40 PM by ollie » Logged
ollie
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 01:39:24 PM »

2 Timothy 3.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

No Ollie,
that is not what the verse says!

Numbers are meaningless. Only a few are to be saved in comparison. The only thing we can be, or [should] be concerned with is Isaiahs 55:11's verse.
I said nothing about numbers, but hope from Paul to Timothy to keep on preaching, no matter what. Paul did not mention Isaiah in these words to Timothy.
I hope that same hope exists today; to keep on preaching and teaching the good news of Jesus Christ. No matter what!

"So [shall my Word be] that goeth forth out of My mouth: [IT SHALL NOT RETURN UNTO ME VOID,] but it shall [ACCOMPLISH THAT WHICH I PLEASE, AND PROSPER IN THE THING WHERETO I SENT IT]."

Believe it. It is true.

Some plant seed, some watered the seed. BUT GOD GAVE THE INCREASE as the Everlasting Gospel teaches! That of personal [unconditional] acceptence of Christ. (see Matt. 28:20-Acts 5:32) Freedom of DECISION on our part is the only way the God will HAVE us! See Gen. 4:7.
True.

And: By the way, is it a sin to just say that you made a mistake & move on?
I don't know about you, but I make a lot of mistakes and even sin, but have God's forgiveness for sin if I ask it of Him and have forgiven those that sin against me. The mistakes I usually have to work out myself, sometimes with much prayer.
If you are apologizing for a mistake in one of your posts and are asking if it is sin and want to move on. I say, why don't you move on and if you think it is sin ask for forgiveness.

And also, your referance of 2 Tim. 3? Do you mean 2 Tim. 4:3-5?

---John
It is corrected. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

In Christ's love,
Ollie
geralduk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 06:07:11 PM »

If you SOW sparingly you will REAP sparingly.
Likesie if you SOW bountifully ypou will REAP bountifully.

The quesation is WHAT are we SOWING?
The WORD of God(which "is a SEED") or our church?
Are we more intersted in the filling of our pews up and increasing the offering or the SOULS of men amnd the EXTENTION of the kingdom of God?

tHE KINGDOM OF GOD is likened unto a man who went out to SOW!
sOME fell here soem fell there.
But he CONTINUED sowing!
Does a FARMER stop sowing after the aFIRST HARVEST?
OF COURSE NT.
But SOWS CONTINUALY that he might continually REAP!
Does he sow sparingly in case some fails?
NO! but BOUNTIFULLY.
For though one seed might fail toi find soem good ground.
Yet another seed   will find good  ground and from that ONE seed will spring forth 49 at least other seeds in the ONE HEAD of corn that comes forth.
It is the DEVIL that would not wnat us to SOW but rather" to look at the clouds"
did not Jesus say the HARVEST is BOUNTIFULL but the LABOURERS ARE few!?
its not the lack of souls ;there are MANY; its the WORKERS that are FEW!
"PRAY YE THEN THAT THE Lord of the harvest will send more LBOURERES!
fOR HOW CAN htey be SAVED unless they hear the GOSPEL and how can they hear unless it si PREACHED AND who WILL GO FOR US?
tHEREFORE the question is wrong.
Fotr its not the few souls needingf to be saved.
But it is the MIGHTY NUMBERLESS NUMBER who are NEEDING TO BE SAVED but thier are not ENOUGH WORKERS to haul in the nets!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the