Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover  (Read 1283 times)
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2003, 11:20:37 PM »

A lady in a faded gingham dress and her husband, dressed in a homespun threadbare suit, stepped off the train in Boston, and walked timidly without an appointment into the Harvard University President's outer office.  The secretary could tell in a moment that such backwoods, country hicks had no business at Harvard and probably didn't even deserve to be in Cambridge.  "We want to see the president," the man said softly. "He'll be busy all day,"the secretary snapped. "We'll wait," the lady replied. For hours the secretary ignored them, hoping that the couple would finally become discouraged and go away. They didn't and the secretary grew frustrated and finally decided to disturb the president, even though it was a chore she always regretted.

"Maybe if you see them for a few minutes, they'll leave," she said to him. He sighed in exasperation and nodded. Someone of his importance obviously didn't have the time to spend with them, but he detested gingham dresses and homespun suits cluttering up his outer office.  The president, stern faced and with dignity, strutted toward the couple. The lady told him, "We had a son who attended Harvard for one year. He loved Harvard. He was happy here. But about a year ago, he was accidentally killed. My husband and I would like to erect a memorial to him, somewhere on campus."

The president wasn't touched.... He was shocked. "Madam," he said, gruffly, "we can't put up a statue for every person who attended Harvard and died. If we did, this place would look like a cemetery." "Oh, no," the lady explained quickly.  "We don't want to erect a statue. We thought we would like to give a building to Harvard."  The president rolled his eyes. He glanced at the gingham dress and homespun suit, then exclaimed, "A building! Do you have any earthly idea how much a building costs? We have over seven and a half million dollars in the physical buildings here at Harvard." For a moment the lady was silent. The president was pleased.  Maybe he could get rid of them now. The lady turned to her husband and said quietly, "Is that all it costs to start a university?  Why don't we just start our own?" Her husband nodded. The president's face wilted in confusion and bewilderment. Mr. and Mrs. Leland Stanford got up and walked away, traveling to Palo Alto, California where they established the university that bears their name, Stanford University, a memorial to a son that Harvard no longer cared about. You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing.

----- A TRUE STORY----- by Malcolm Forbes

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Seven_Tides
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 01:09:11 AM »

Ah, saw that's how Stanford got it's name.

Well forrest, you have the best stories to tell on this forum.

Grin
JesusFreak001

I'm a follower!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 03:12:04 AM »

Just like judging someone by outside appearance n not looking in the inside, you cant judge the Bible by its outside just because usually it has a plain black cover or something of the sort. Because, if you look on the inside...it cannot be described with words such as : plain, boring, worthless, unimportant, trash...etc. you see my point. Usually people use this statement when talking about any genre in general, but the Bible is a good example which you cannot judge by its cover. That's all I wanted to say...GB Smiley

May God bless you today, tomorrow, and forever!
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 10:26:27 AM »

Forrest, That is a great story. I enjoyed it very much.
JesusFreak, true. Very true.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 05:17:05 PM »

GRRRRRRRRRREAT Story Forrest, Thanks Bro Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Alfie

Jesus is Our Bridge Over Troubled Waters

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 11:57:08 PM »

Hey Forrest,

You do come up with the good ones. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

Blessings to you,

Alfie

God Bless the Beasts and the Children  
for they are truly the Innocents, and
         the Sweetest of Spirits.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the