Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Christian View
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Christian View  (Read 4651 times)
Luke O

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2004, 08:07:41 PM »

I thought i'd be very genderated (i dunno if thats even a word) a put this topic in the 'Men Only' section.

What i was wondering what the Christian view is on proffesional wrestling.  I wrestle myself and i would imagine the depiction of violence and t&a would not conforom to a Chrstian's likings (or maybe i'm just being stereotypical). Most wrestlers are actually firm Christians, such as the person who helping me turn Christian (Nora Greenwald), also amazing quite a number of wrestlers have become evangelists (i hope thats spelt right Embarrassed)

Anywayz, What is everyone's view on wrestling?

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 08:24:02 PM »

I "LOVE" Pro Wrestling

Sting
Million Dollar Man

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 04:41:32 AM »

I watched wrestling thursday night on UPN. Wrestling has changed since the last time I watched it. Some how it has become dirty in the last 20 years. But who am I to judge wrestling?

Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 11:24:07 AM »

I "LOVE" Pro Wrestling

Sting
Million Dollar Man

<Smiley))><

Yeah Million Dollar Man is an evangelist now.

graphxguy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:33:47 AM »

Well, this is probably not going to go over very well, but....

I'm sure that many of you view professional wrestling as harmless since, in reality, none of it is real. However, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

First, it feeds a carnal desire to see someone suffer at the hands of another. Yes, I know it's not real. But some of those things that the wrestlers do have a high chance of resulting in pain if not performed to perfection. I've seen a few documentaries on wrestlers where they have talked about breaking bones, having concussions, and other injuries. And I think that we can all agree that the crowd is not going wild because they approve of how wonderfully executed the fake maneuvers are.

Second, it wasn't this way in the early days of the "sport", but today's televised wrestling has turned women into objects, rather than portraying them with the beauty and uniqueness that God designed them with. They are eye candy whose only purpose is to get more men to watch, which obviously increases revenue. They come out scantily clad in outfits with bodies that have been generated by science, not the Father. And they parade themselves around because they know that's what the viewers want. They may as well work in a strip club. Satan's pretty smart, isn't he?

Third, this kind of "entertainment" is right up there with R-rated movies. It would be interesting to find out how many of you would approve going to them. God has told us to "be holy for I am holy." Please tell me how allowing ourselves to view such filth can be seen as holy through the eyes of a holy God. The two simply do not go together.

As far as wrestlers being evangelists or claiming to be Christians let me say this. If the Million Dollar Man (Ted DiBiase) is an evangelist now, does he still promote the sport? If he does, then I question his calling.

I went to the Nora Greenwald site and found nothing there that says she's a Christian. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place but I found myself being very leery of surfing through the site after I saw some of the links that she has on there. It seemed to be all about her with nothing about Jesus. And that's just a little out of whack.

DreamWeaver, you said, "Who am I to judge wrestling?" I don't see it as a judgement as much as it is an observation. And I hope that none of the comments I made here will be seen as judging either. I simply use God's Word as a filter of sorts. And if it passes through, then great. But if it doesn't, then there's something wrong. And professional wrestling does filter out.

In Christ Alone,

Stephen
Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:32:26 PM »

I'm sure that many of you view professional wrestling as harmless since, in reality, none of it is real. However, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

You'd be suprised how much even landing normally in the ring hurts, plus bouncing off the ring ropes hurt a lot.  I wrestle myself, but we try to keep each other as safe as possible everytime we set foot in the ring.

Second, it wasn't this way in the early days of the "sport", but today's televised wrestling has turned women into objects, rather than portraying them with the beauty and uniqueness that God designed them with. They are eye candy whose only purpose is to get more men to watch, which obviously increases revenue. They come out scantily clad in outfits with bodies that have been generated by science, not the Father. And they parade themselves around because they know that's what the viewers want. They may as well work in a strip club. Satan's pretty smart, isn't he?

Believe me women's portrayal in wrestling is somhing that bothers me aswell, and hopefully over time that will change, there are actually fantastically talent women's wrestler that do actually wrestle on WWE programs, Nora is a perfect example, and it may be noted that she is very much anti-t&a.

As far as wrestlers being evangelists or claiming to be Christians let me say this. If the Million Dollar Man (Ted DiBiase) is an evangelist now, does he still promote the sport? If he does, then I question his calling.

That just depends totally on what your outlook on wrestling is my friend.  Most wrestlers are very religious, i pray that God keeps my safe when i'm in the ring, is that wrong?

I went to the Nora Greenwald site and found nothing there that says she's a Christian. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place but I found myself being very leery of surfing through the site after I saw some of the links that she has on there. It seemed to be all about her with nothing about Jesus. And that's just a little out of whack.

Well you can take my word that Nora is extremely religious, there is not much on her offical site, but if you look on 'facts about nora' you will find some religious references there.  "It seemd to be all about her with nothing about Jesus"...well there is religious stuff on there, just for the record Nora Greenwald is a wrestler, not an evangeist thats probably why you see so much stuff about her, it is her official site.

Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 01:42:48 PM »

Please refer to this link  http://www.noragreenwald.net/nora/favorites.html

graphxguy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 02:34:20 AM »

Luke O:
While I appreciate and respect your comments, I just don't see the validation for the sport.

When you started this thread, you wanted Christian views of professional wrestling, of which I stated mine. In your reply to my post, you presented the individual perspectives (including yours) from participants in wrestling.

What really needs to be addressed is the foundational aspects of professional wrestling. It's violent and portrays women as objects, whether these women set out to be viewed in such a way or not. It glorifies punishment to the human body inflicted by another. Just because other "religious" people are participants, doesn't mean that it should be acceptable to us as Christians or from a biblical point of view.

If you get right down to it, it's not even wrestling at all. As a former wrestler in my youth, these people that I have seen on tv are more of a kind of fighting acrobat. Don't get me wrong, they do possess athletic ability which helps them with various high risk maneuvers. But there's very little wrestling that actually takes place.

In Christ Alone,

Stephen

Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 02:35:45 PM »

It's violent and portrays women as objects, whether these women set out to be viewed in such a way or not.  

Don't get my wrong i am no way trying to have you change your opinion or anything.  Your opinion is your own and you are entitled to it.  With the women as objects points, i agree with you, i wish it would change, but there Nora Greenwald is no way a conformist to these stereotypes, but unfortunately pretty much every other diva is.

On the point of violent sports, come to think of it pretty much every sport is violent to certain extents, and with sports like american football we also see women undermined in a cheerleading form.

If you get right down to it, it's not even wrestling at all. As a former wrestler in my youth, these people that I have seen on tv are more of a kind of fighting acrobat. Don't get me wrong, they do possess athletic ability which helps them with various high risk maneuvers. But there's very little wrestling that actually takes place.

Now again this is your opinion, based purely on facts though i must disagree.  Yes, certain wrestling has turned into all high risk stuff, but the majority of wrestling is not like that at all.  Pretty much every 'wrestler' in the WWE is a wrestler.  Maybe the nostrgic view would suggest 'wrestlin ain't what it was like back in my day', but to be fair everything evolves, including wrestling.

But i appreciate your comments on the thread.

jj

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 02:48:03 PM »

Cool Nora Greenwald said on WWE that she was a christian: a male fan called in on Byte This and asked Molly was she christian?  and Molly said YES! so that is how the rumours got started --- of her being a christian. The character she portrays said Yes! ! But I do not think the real Nora is Christian but the character is ---ect.  Think of all the deciples in the bible none would even consider being a wrestler because it advertises violence. Of course the adults know its acting but children think its real. The apostles of the messiah would never advertise sin. Like the storylines that Molly has insulting people and beating them up ect. People must realize that the christ taught compassion and mercy!  not play fighting ect. I think people forget that it is only TV.  I do not think she is religious in real life or a righteous person. She had on a shirt called HOOTERS off TV and a fan snaped a photo of her . Do you know what Hooters are? It is a chain of restaurants that play old 1965 music and they serve hamburgers fries ect. but the waitresses are without bras -mostly business men and Constrution workers go there to lust for woman with big breasts, so is this christian? None of the saints in the bible was into that there main focus was church and Yahweh worship and nothing else.
Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 06:36:22 AM »

not to be disrespectful, but its not like i don't know anything about Nora, and i also know the difference between a shoot and a work, regradless what she said on Byte This, i know for a fact that Molly is a genuine christian.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 04:52:57 AM »

Luke O, in what state do you wrestle?

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Luke O

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 08:15:45 PM »

Well i live in the UK, so we have countys instead of states over here.  I live in Manchester, England.......so FSW and FWA.....not much choice really for people who live in the UK.  But i will be working in the US in my 2nd year of university which is in a couple of years.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 11:28:01 PM »

Jim Elliott was a wrestler.  He and several other missionaries tried to take the gospel to the Auca Indians in Equador in the 1950s.  The Aucas were remote, hard to reach and, apparently, known for their prior distrust and killings of white men.  Apparently oil men, like from Shell or other cos., had abused or misused tribes years earlier, in the 20s or 30s.

The remains of Jim and party's aircraft, a piper cub with canvas wings, was found on a river bar in the jungle.  Also the remains of the five missionaries, in various spots up and down the stream.  Their camera film was found intact.  Photos of Aucas approaching.

Jim's wife, Elizabeth, carried on in ministry for some years afterward and, I believe, went back to visit and work among the same tribe.

But Jim had been at least an amatuer wrestler, I'm not sure about pro.  He used it as a self-disciplining tool and, I believe, grew up in Oregon.  There have been a number of books  about his life.
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 02:29:46 PM »

Hi Guys

This is my first proper post on these boards and hopefully many more to come.
Found this thread really intresting as it is something i think about often. I live in the UK and over here, on Satellite TV, we have wwe wrestling on most days. I often sit down with my son and watch the wrestling and on the whole find it enjoyable and good entertaiment. But recently, i have been asking myself if it is appropriate. A couple of my concerns would be, as others have mentioned, the way females are protrayed and the way they dress and then there is the question of certain wrestlers with there names and what they represent. One that come's straight to mind is the undertaker and the stunts he comes up with. Now i know its only acting, but i have to ask myself, is this something that we should be watching and more importantly, should we be allowing our younger children to watch it? Would be intrested in what other dads think, where letting children watch these programs are concerned.

In Christ
Joey
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the