Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Who should we help?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Which group of people do you think it's most important for Christians to help?
Blood related family members - 0 (0%)
Brothers and sisters in Christ - 2 (25%)
Whoever asks first - 0 (0%)
The most needy (physically AND spiritually) - 4 (50%)
Friends - 0 (0%)
Enemies (for this poll it's assumed that "enemies" are not Christians) - 2 (25%)
Whoever helping will bring us the most benefit - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who should we help?  (Read 2842 times)
JitC
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:28:28 AM »

Blood relatives: Our blood relatives are likely not among the world’s most needy people. But it would be polite, and is often socially expected to help a blood family member. Even though their needs are likely trivial compared to those of others in the world.

Brethren in Christ: There are many Christian brothers and sisters who are almost, or equally as physically needy as the most needy people in the world. However, we likely don’t know these people personally, so ignoring their needs can be easy. For the most part we aren’t socially expected to help them either. And they aren’t as spiritually needy as non-believers.

Whoever asks first: If we only help those who ask, and start with those who ask first, we will not have a long list of people to help. This will lessen our “burden” and can make life more pleasant.

The most needy: These people are likely in desperate need of food and medicine. But most of all, being that they are the most needy, they not only need physical help, but spiritual as well. However, we likely don’t know these people personally, so it’s easy to ignore their needs.

Friends: Our friends are likely not among the world’s most needy people. But it would be polite, and is often socially expected to help them, even if technically it’s done instead of helping others.

Enemies: Jesus said to do good for our enemies. It wouldn’t be socially acceptable to help them though.

Whoever helping will bring us the most benefit: We could help people AND help ourselves in this case. These people are likely not in as much need as others, but it could be better to help two people instead of just one (especially since one of the two is our self).

Hypothetically, I'm not sure whether I should help out my family in Christ, or those in the most need. But in actuality many members of our family in Christ are among the most needy, so I choose option two: Brothers and sisters in Christ.
FaithfulFollower

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:23:07 AM »

JitC,

Unfortunately I am going to have to disagree with you in regards to our enemies and aiding them. For did Jesus not come to save the lost, not the found? I am not trying to question your beliefs, so please do forgive me if that is how it sounds. I am merely trying to understand where you are coming from on this.

The ones out there who truly need God the most are not brothers and sisters in Christ, but those who have yet to come to know him in their hearts. Are we not supposed to love our enemies? In loving them would it be wrong to share God's word with them?  

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

With Love In Christ,

Danielle

With God ALL Things ARE Possible!
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 10:45:17 AM »

Isa 58:6
[Is] not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (7) [Is it] not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

I fail to see in these words any conditions as to "who" they are, other than hungry, poor, homeless, naked, oppressed and/or bound.

Paul does specifiy that we should help those of the "household" (meaning brethren) first, but I would have to ask the same question Jesus asked. Who is "brethren?"

I'm afraid that once we begin putting any kind of restrictions on acts of charity, then we immediately begin setting up a checklist that conforms to OUR opinions, OUR desires, and OUR goals.

"my thoughts are not your thoughts, saith the Lord, and my ways are not your ways..."

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 11:13:24 AM »

You left out one choice: all of the above.

Also, "help" is a very broad word....how do you define it? Helping ones enemies can mean praying for them; sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with them, feeding them....it can also mean "aiding and abetting" which you don't want to do.

Jesus died for all of us. How can you pick and choose who to help? How do you know that the enemy has not been put in your path for just such an occasion as to allow him/her to see Christ? Sometimes, it's the wealthy who need help the most. Different help from the poor, maybe, but still they are/can be as lost as the street beggar.

I guess I'd have to say we decide who to help based on who Jesus would help.

When somebody comes across my path who needs help they get it (if I can do it....and I can do all things through Christ) and if it is helpful...the glory doesn't belong to me, but to God.

blessings
Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
JitC
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:24:35 AM »

FaithfulFollower, you made some good points. What you say makes sense, and I will have to keep them in mind next time I read the NT. Maybe that'll help me get something different out of it.

I fail to see in these words any conditions as to "who" they are, other than hungry, poor, homeless, naked, oppressed and/or bound.
Also, it can be noted that some of both Christians and non-Christians meet these descriptions.
...I would have to ask the same question Jesus asked. Who is "brethren?"
Brothers and sisters in Christ. Christians. Disciples.
Do you disagree?
I'm afraid that once we begin putting any kind of restrictions on acts of charity, then we immediately begin setting up a checklist that conforms to OUR opinions, OUR desires, and OUR goals.
Hmmm, I didn't think of it like that. But our acts of charity only compose a small amount of how most of us help others.
JitC
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:34 AM »

Also, "help" is a very broad word....how do you define it?
I suppose in anyway that it could be defined. Prayer, donations of money, time, labor, other acts of kindness...almost anything that we have the ability to do for the benefit of others.
Helping...can also mean "aiding and abetting"...
Good point. I didn't think of that, but I had been thinking more along the lines of helping within the boundries of the law.
How can you pick and choose who to help?
I don't know. That's what the discussion's about. We can obviously help everybody by praying for them. But in other ways, such as using our time and money to help people, we can't possibly help everybody. Since we can't use our limited resources to help everybody, who should we use them to help?
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

Brothers and sisters in Christ. Christians. Disciples.
Do you disagree?

Yes...so does Jesus. Read the story of the Good Samaritan.
Hmmm, I didn't think of it like that. But our acts of charity only compose a small amount of how most of us help others.

And right there we begin to see the "list" of restrictions. "Charity" (from the Gr. charis, a gift) does not mean what you imply that it does. Replace that word (charity) with the word you use....help....because that's what it really means.

Some can help with money...some with time...some with labor....some with knowledge, or wisdom, or even silence.

Jam 2:2-4
For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;Jam 2:3
And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

1Jo 3:17
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels [of compassion] from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
brother: adelphos
1) a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother
2) having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman
3) any fellow or man
4) a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection
5) an associate in employment or office
6) brethren in Christ

BroHank
InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:25:50 AM »

As Christians that give themselves to God, we will help those that God positions us to help. God is in control and He will put us where He wants us. Those are the ones we will help. Regardless of who or what they are.

May His peace go with you.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 12:39:55 PM »

As Christians that give themselves to God, we will help those that God positions us to help. God is in control and He will put us where He wants us. Those are the ones we will help. Regardless of who or what they are.
ATA!!!! Grin

BroHank
JitC
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 05:50:37 AM »

I would have to ask the same question Jesus asked. Who is "brethren?"
Brothers and sisters in Christ. Christians. Disciples.Do you disagree?
Yes...so does Jesus. Read the story of the Good Samaritan.
Jesus gave the parable of the Good Samaritan after somebody asked who his neighbor was. From the parable (Luke 10:29-37) it is abundantly clear that your “neighbor” is anybody who shows you mercy. “Brethren”, on the other hand, is just another word for brothers. But in the bible, “brethren” is used to include all family members. Jesus said “For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” (Matt 12:50) In other words, Christians are Jesus’ brethren. An atheist can be a neighbor if he shows mercy to you, but since he isn’t doing the will of God he isn’t among the brethren.

As far as what you were saying about "lists" of who to help being developed by deciding who needs help more, I partially agree, and I partially disagree. I agree, because nobody should be excluded from being helped. But the ways in which people are helped must depend on the situation. It would be good to help a rich person by praying for him. But to help by giving him money would be wrong. (He who oppresses the poor to increase his riches, And he who gives to the rich, will surely come to poverty. - Proverbs 22:16) I was trying to get at the fact that we often help people in the wrong way. We often give to the rich, which prevents ourselves from being able to give as much to others who need the money more desperately. The rich should be helped, for sure. But not with money. That would be an irresponsible use of the money God entrusted us with. Also, we often "help" ourselves. I'm not just pointing the finger at others. I'm included. Sometimes I "help" myself by buying something I really didn't need, and was only buying it for my own entertainment. I'm not trying to draw a line, and say we should NEVER spend money on ourselves. I'm just pointing out that we need to always question if maybe we can go without something, or not buy such an expensive gift for a rich family member. As long as we can afford to eat, we easily forget that others cannot.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 10:09:41 AM »

JitC:
“Brethren”, on the other hand, is just another word for brothers. But in the bible, “brethren” is used to include all family members.

I would ask that you re-examine the meaning (biblical) of the word translated brother, already given and repeated here.
brother: adelphos
1) a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother
2) having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman
3) any fellow or man
4) a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection
5) an associate in employment or office
6) brethren in Christ

Please note that the word is NOT restricted as you suggest, but is rather all-inclusive.

As to lists, I don't believe that I indicated that there was a restriction of any kind on the way someone could be helped. The "lists" though, are those developed by most Christians and churches as to "who" they will help, and the conditions they attach to giving any help.

I have seen churches:
1) require membership before assisting someone in need.
2) require a 1 year waiting period so that their actions could be observed to see if they "really" were getting right.
3) require proof of conversion.
4) require that they speak in tongues first
and the list goes on.....as many people and churches as their are is how extensive the list of requirements may be.

I have seen a pastor get his salary withheld, his utilities cut off in the parsonage, his children sent home from school for no reason, and his charge account at the local food market suspended.

I have seen an elderly woman with her social security check stolen from the mailbox refused food by a church run food bank, and refused monetary assistance for utilities because she didn't go to that particular church.

And the list goes on......ad nauseum.

Peter was taking a nap on a rooftop one day, and got a vision. Several times, he refused to partake of what God set before him, preferring instead to recite the "list" of what was or was not allowed.

A little later, Peter received a request for help from a person who was not a "brother."

The rest of what you say, I'm in agreement with. What we need to pay much closer attention to, is what the LORD wants......not what we think. Rest assured, though, that if the Lord brings someone into our path, there is a reason....not just for them, but also for us.

BroHank
street preacher

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »

I'd like to chime in on this if you will allow me to.

First of all, I appreciate this discussion.  I love to see brothers and sisters who love the Lord so much that they simply want to please him through serving him.  I know that you all are giving the Lord everything you have and the reason for this poll is to learn how to live a life that is pleasing to Him.  I thank God for all of you and how you are serving the Lord!  

I'd like to ask a few questions (in absolute brotherly love)  in  response to the original poll if I may....

First question....  If you saw a group of people who were all sleepwalking and walking torwards a cliff  what would you do in that moment?  Would you categorize them?  Would you selectively choose the ones that should be helped or not helped?  Of course not.  You would do everything within your power to wake them up and stop them from heading for sure death.  That is what Jesus would have us do.  Help those who we know are headed to hell.  

Second question.... What did the Bible model for us?  The church that was modeled on the day of pentecost and in the book of Acts did not pick and choose who was to be helped.  They were enpowered by the Holy Spirit of God and they just went for it.  They didn't stay in the upper room debating how they were going to raise money for the "building fund" or what color flowers they would place on the alter for Sunday service...... NO. they headed out and started "helping people" by giving them the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  They didn't sit around and debate what to do like the 21st century church would do.  And it said that the Lord added daily to those being saved.  We fail to see much of this in America because we have learned to rely on a committe meetings  or consultants to help us with what we should do instead of the Holy Spirit.   Let us take our lead from the biblical model.  Jesus gave us the parable of the sower to illustrate the fact that seed (gospel message) will fall on different types of soil.  We need to be proclaiming (with everything that we have) the message of Jesus Christ without prejudice. Just like we would for those who were walking torwards that cliff.... If they are breathing, they need Jesus.

As far as the specifics of which charity to give to or where you should plant your ministry etc. etc.  The Holy Spirit will guide you.  Pray for wisdom and dissernment as far as how to use your finances and time to further the kingdom.  Pray. Pray. and Pray.   That's not a cop out.  That's just what we are commanded to do.  Then watch the Lord use you in some powerful ways.  

Go with God today.

starrleicht

I'm a Christian!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 05:29:57 PM »

You forgot one response on there that IMHO would have been correct - we should help all our "neighbors" - friend, foe, enemy, family - it doesn't matter, and no one should be put into "first place".

Blessings.

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 01:00:16 AM »

Who should we help?

The Needy,

The Disabled,

The Homeless,

The Sick,

The mentally ill,

The Childern with no Parents,

The People Awaiting SSDI, or SSI,

The List can go on and on forever!!!

Yoyostick

L.E.A.H. and the Trashmobile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 09:40:17 PM »

You forgot one response on there that IMHO would have been correct - we should help all our "neighbors" - friend, foe, enemy, family - it doesn't matter, and no one should be put into "first place".

Blessings.

Amen!

Jesus is Life!
"For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting LIFE." -John 3:16
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the