Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:42:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  DEBATE CHALLENGE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DEBATE CHALLENGE  (Read 2726 times)
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2004, 10:59:46 AM »

Brother Love has proposed a discussion of a study from my website entitled "Is there more than one gospel?", apparently (it's unclear at this point) contending that my study (and conclusion) is in error.

Since the point of the study is to establish firmly that there is only ONE Gospel, I intend to jump the gun at this point and propose the following:

This will be a relatively formal debate, with myself as the "proponent" (FOR the resolution), and Brother Love as the "opponent" (AGAINST the resolution).

Basic rules of debate should apply, with the resolution clearly stated, and beginning with an opening statement from the proponent, followed by an opening rebuttal by the opponent, followed by a counter-argument by proponent, and then followed by a counter-rebuttal by the opponent.

Finally, a "closing argument" by the proponent, and the same from the opponent, followed by questions from the readers (hearers) concerning points made during argument, and addressed specifically to either the proponent or opponent. I would ask that any person desiring to question limit themselves to one question, or two IF the second question is closely related to the first.

Finally, after questions and answers are made, the readership weighs in with a "vote" as to whether the proponent or the opponent "made their case."

If this is agreeable to Brother Love, BEP and administration, and the forum members, I will post a beginning, outlining the resolution to be argued.
 Smiley

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:29:00 AM »

* bump *

BroHank
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:56:20 AM »

Evangelist,

Brother, this sounds like a fascinating discussion and debate. I look forward to it and hope Brother Love will explain his stance, something more than just saying "Wrong".

Love In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 01:55:28 PM »

Evangelist,

Brother, this sounds like a fascinating discussion and debate. I look forward to it and hope Brother Love will explain his stance, something more than just saying "Wrong".

Love In Christ,
Tom
Let us pray that the debate is backed by the words and doctrines of Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Spirit inspired word and not mere men's opinions on these words and doctrines. In other words, book, chapter, verse, folks.

Have at it.
Ollie
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 05:28:13 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

Let us pray that the debate is backed by the word's and doctrines of Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Spirit inspired word and not mere men's opinions on these words and doctrines. In other word, book, chapter, verse, folks.

Wouldn't have it any other way.  Grin

BroHank
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 02:14:43 PM »

Resolved:

That, according to scripture, the ONLY means of redemption for man is by grace through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and that this means applied, and applies, to all who have ever lived or will live, and this constitutes "The Gospel".

That, according to scripture, there is only ONE Gospel, and this Gospel has been the same since the Garden of Eden through to the present age, and will continue to the end of all ages. Thus, any Gospel other than the one that can be seen in scripture is a FALSE Gospel, and is to be shunned.

That, according to scripture, one of the currently touted doctrines of different ways of salvation for different groups of people or according to the ages in which they lived is exactly the same as the "other gospel" proscribed by the Apostle Paul, and which he called those who preached it "accursed."

Definitions:
Grace: unmerited favor (gift) from Gr: Charis, Heb. Chen (stooping, bending down).
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Gospel: the good news of redemption by God. Gr. euaggelion; good tidings, declaration of grace
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Proponent: Evangelist

Opponent: Brother Love

"House Rules": according to the intitial posting in this thread concerning rules of debate. Moderated by BEP, who has full authority to edit posts that contain offensive material or fall into the category of ad hominem, argumentum ad ridiculum, or other inflammatory phraseology or commentary. All postings to be limited to the forum limits of word count allowable for one single posting (no continuations or part 2's).

Are you ready to ruuuummmmmmmmmble?  Angry  Cheesy  Grin

BroHank
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 03:38:24 PM »

AMEN!!![/b][/u]

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »

Evangelist,

Love In Christ,
Tom
Let us pray that the debate is backed by the words and doctrines of Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Spirit inspired word and not mere men's opinions on these words and doctrines. In other word, book, chapter, verse, folks.

Have at it.
Ollie
AMEN!!   ollie, I couldn't say it better myself.

I made your post bold ollie. I agree with your statement, 100%.

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 07:41:39 AM »

Let us pray that the debate is backed by the words and doctrines of Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Spirit inspired word and not mere men's opinions on these words and doctrines. In other words, book, chapter, verse, folks.

Have at it.

Agreed.

In other words, book, chapter, verse, folks.

†† Guided by God ††
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 02:27:56 PM »

I have posted my opening statement as a new thread.

Please use this thread for any commentary, remarks, or discussion of whether or not there is "book, chapter and verse".  Grin

BroHank
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 01:47:31 AM »

oooohhhh this sounds good,

musicllover, gets a glass of pepsi, finds a good seat, FORBIDS any tall spec to sit in front of her (I'm not a very tall person). Claming house a tosis or something........ Grin

quickly cell phones the pizza thread and envites them all over with there fav pizza of coarse Tongue

Let the games begin!

musicllover
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 08:17:29 AM »

I have posted my opening statement as a new thread.

Please use this thread for any commentary, remarks, or discussion of whether or not there is "book, chapter and verse".  Grin
Your opening statement is very well backed up with, book, chapter, verse.
I will never understand the perversion of the Bible that comes from the idea of other gospels, when it tells of only one through Christ for all. I do understand the Biblical concept of another gospel of which Paul speaks. Well we will see what BL has to say.

Ollie
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:20:08 AM by ollie » Logged

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 03:38:11 PM »

Wouldn't have it any other way. Grin

I will never understand the perversion of the Bible that comes from the idea of other gospels, when it tells of only one through Christ for all.

I can't either.

I do understand the Biblical concept of another gospel of which Paul speaks.
Gods whole point throughout the bible is that there is no other gospel...only one, and Paul specifically states that "..which is NOT another...". THE Gospel, the good news, is that "while we were yet sinners, God sent Christ to die for us...". Grace, through faith, and any other admixture of do this, or do that, or Bartimaeus has to believe AND be baptized AND be circumscised AND go to the temple....yada yada is, and always has been, a false gospel...it is NOT good news, it is bondage.

Well we will see what BL has to say.
Ollie

Um Hmmm.

BroHank
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 08:02:21 PM »

Wouldn't have it any other way. Grin

I will never understand the perversion of the Bible that comes from the idea of other gospels, when it tells of only one through Christ for all.

I can't either.

I do understand the Biblical concept of another gospel of which Paul speaks.
Gods whole point throughout the bible is that there is no other gospel...only one, and Paul specifically states that "..which is NOT another...". THE Gospel, the good news, is that "while we were yet sinners, God sent Christ to die for us...". Grace, through faith, and any other admixture of do this, or do that, or Bartimaeus has to believe AND be baptized AND be circumscised AND go to the temple....yada yada is, and always has been, a false gospel...it is NOT good news, it is bondage.

Well we will see what BL has to say.
Ollie

Um Hmmm.
"Gods whole point throughout the bible is that there is no other gospel...only one, and Paul specifically states that "..which is NOT another...". THE Gospel, the good news, is that "while we were yet sinners, God sent Christ to die for us...". Grace, through faith, and any other admixture of do this, or do that, or Bartimaeus has to believe AND be baptized AND be circumscised AND go to the temple....yada yada is, and always has been, a false gospel...it is NOT good news, it is bondage."
Yes, and that is my understanding of Pauls's words. There is no other gospel.

Paul proclaims what is the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15.
Peter preaches the same in Acts 10.

Smiley

ollie
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:11:30 PM by ollie » Logged

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »

* bump *

Lotsa lookers....not too many talkers.  Grin

BroHank
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the