Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Does This Matter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does This Matter?  (Read 5362 times)
BFWard

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:57:51 AM »

I am talking about Bible versions.  I have had a run in with a few unofficial members of the KJV Only cult, and am asking the average Christian here, does it matter what version of the Holy Bible you use?  My Preacher and 99.9% of the congregation of my Church does not mind at all that I use the NAB.  

"51: Call to remembrance what acts our fathers did in their time; so shall ye receive great honour and an everlasting name. "
1 Maccabees 2:51 (KJV)
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:06:24 AM »

Hi BFWard: welcome to the forums.

I can only give you my opinion.

To a certain extent, the version or translation used is moderately important, simply because there are a number of versions that have been put out that drastically alter the meanings of some words from the original texts and understandings. A few of them have even gone so far as to delete certain passages.

Even within the KJV bunch, there is argument over which particular edition is used, or which TR (Textus Receptus) was the basis for translation.

Keep this always in mind, since none of the many versions phrase it differently. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will "lead you into all truth". John later writes that "you have an unction (speaking of the Holy Spirit)", and that "you have no need that any many should teach you". These passages certainly indicate that when we approach the Word of God with a heart set toward learning from Him, He will teach and show to us what He wants. If there is a question about a certain phrase, or word, He is more than capable of producing a check in our hearts and minds about it, with a little whispered "check that out".

Personally, I like the language of the KJV...it's much less gutteral than some of the newer versions, but I also know that some of the words have been "mis-translated" to a certain degree. Simply, in the 1600's, the translators operated from a knowledge of classical Greek, but it was not until the 1900's that it became clear that the originals were written in Koine, or Common Greek....and there is a difference between the two in some important areas.

I have a Parallel, which gives four translations side-by-side, plus a Greek-English Interlinear based on the Stephanus TR. Sometimes it's helpful.

Happy reading!!

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:30:09 AM »

Keep this always in mind, since none of the many versions phrase it differently. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will "lead you into all truth". John later writes that "you have an unction (speaking of the Holy Spirit)", and that "you have no need that any many should teach you". These passages certainly indicate that when we approach the Word of God with a heart set toward learning from Him, He will teach and show to us what He wants. If there is a question about a certain phrase, or word, He is more than capable of producing a check in our hearts and minds about it, with a little whispered "check that out".

Superb answer!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:42:54 AM »

I may be opening myself up for some brow-beating, here – but I like the KJV, the NIV and the NAB and the NKJV.  Why?  Because besides the spiritual and learning aspects of the Bible, I love the bible for its literary value as well – and some passages just “sound better” to me in some versions verses others.  For instance, before I post scripture here on the forum I will read it in several different versions just to see which ‘sounds better’.
I know – pretty lame – but surely there are others who also do it.
 Huh

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
BFWard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 06:19:06 PM »

Thank you all for your insight.   Grin

"51: Call to remembrance what acts our fathers did in their time; so shall ye receive great honour and an everlasting name. "
Jesusinme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 06:36:31 PM »

I prefer The KJV It was hard to read at first.
 I read a chapter out loud each day to my husband (he doesn't have good comprehension when he reads) We pray for complete clarity and understanding before we begin. What I found out, when I started to read I stumbled and stuttered over the words, but now it seems they flow easily. The Lord has blessed our time together in reading his word! I know it doesn't answer the question but I wanted to share this. besides, Evangelist answered this question beautifully! Smiley
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:48:58 AM »

I am one of those KJV Only

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 07:23:11 AM »

I am talking about Bible versions.  I have had a run in with a few unofficial members of the KJV Only cult, and am asking the average Christian here, does it matter what version of the Holy Bible you use?  My Preacher and 99.9% of the congregation of my Church does not mind at all that I use the NAB.  

Hi and welcome.  Smiley

Why do you consider those who read KJV only as being a part of a 'cult'?

What is the NAB?

"10 Never trust your enemy, for his wickedness is like corrosion in bronze.
11 Even though he acts humbly and peaceably toward you, take care to be on your guard against him. Rub him as one polishes a brazen mirror, and you will find that there is still corrosion."
Sirach 12:10-11

And what is "Sirach"?

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 08:01:17 AM »

BFWard :

"10 Never trust your enemy, for his wickedness is like corrosion in bronze.
11 Even though he acts humbly and peaceably toward you, take care to be on your guard against him. Rub him as one polishes a brazen mirror, and you will find that there is still corrosion."

And what translation is this you have quoted?

Matthew 5:43.  Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
 44.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
KJV

Luke 6:27. But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
 28.  Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
 29.  And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
 30.  Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
 31.  And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
 32.  For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
 33.  And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
 34.  And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
 35.  But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
 36.  Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
KJV

Romans 12:20.  Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.KJV

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 09:19:45 AM »

10 Never trust your enemy, for his wickedness is like corrosion in bronze.

I must be blind.  I totally did not see this in the original post.   I am concerned by what a web search turns up however.   Not wanting to jump to assumptions here BFWard, but I for one am a little confused now.  Do you believe that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh and is of God?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

BFWard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:44:17 PM »

Yes I do believe Jesus Christ is God in the Flesh. He is the only way to God's kingdom.

That Bible quote was from my sigline.  Since we are at war, and some Muslims speak a friendly speech to us at times, I saw this Scripture fitting.

The KJV ONLY people I refer to are the ones that try to constantly lecture you about what version of the Bible that they use to a point of ad nauseum. For some reason, they think God inspired a group of scholars from Cambrige and Oxford Universities in 1611 to come out with "the" English translation. To me, they worship the book, not the Lord, and are therefore a cult. These people are not to be confused, however, with honest folk who use the KJV out of personal preference, and will not disrupt a Church Fellowship over the issue.

Finally, that passage from another thread was from the NAB (New American Bible), Book of Sirach. If you have a copy of a KJV Bible made in America before 1885, you will find the Book of Sirach there as well.  Sirach was one of the book Catholics refer to as Deuteroconical.  Protestants call those books the Apocrypha.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:10:45 PM by BFWard » Logged

archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 04:41:08 PM »

I think perhaps the King James version is sometimes hard to read when you are new to the faith and are trying to learn to study the bible, but I don't consider those who prefer that version to be members of a cult.  As for myself, I also prefer to compare several versions when studying but find the King James with Strong's numbers an essential starting point.   For quick reading, for a dose of comfort, encouragement,etc. I usually pick up my New International Version.  Most important to me,  I always pray for understanding and help from the Holy Spirit before reading.  By the way BEP is right...e-sword is really nice and I enjoy using it to create study notes.

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 04:56:30 AM »

Which Bible Is The Right Bible?

The most popular bible on the market right now is the New International Version also known as the N.I.V. but is it the right bible for you? At BBC we believe, practice and teach the King James Bible is God’s word without error. We cannot say that about the NIV. Let me show you…

This is the KJV reading of Col.1:14

"In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:"

This is the NIV reading for the same verse.

"in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

Here is the KJV reading for Acts 8:37

"And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Here is the same reading for the same verse.

(blank)

The space above is blank because the NIV doesn’t have Acts 8:37. This is only 2 of over 5,000 differences between the NIV and the King James Bible. The differences are "textual not translational" in nature. This simply means the text from which the NIV was taken is different than the text of the KJB. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t trust a Bible that leaves out the blood of Christ and omits entire verses. Would you? You may contact us for more information on "manuscript evidence".

By Pastor Doug Dodd s.b.g.

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 08:30:21 AM »

Yes I do believe Jesus Christ is God in the Flesh. He is the only way to God's kingdom.

This is great to hear.

That Bible quote was from my sigline.  Since we are at war, and some Muslims speak a friendly speech to us at times, I saw this Scripture fitting.

SNIP=======

Finally, that passage from another thread was from the NAB (New American Bible), Book of Sirach. If you have a copy of a KJV Bible made in America before 1885, you will find the Book of Sirach there as well.  Sirach was one of the book Catholics refer to as Deuteroconical.  Protestants call those books the Apocrypha.

Quite honestly I will have to claim ignorance on this.  I am not familiar with Sirach but I have heard of the Apocrypha.   I guess I will have to do a little research to understand.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

BFWard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 10:10:49 AM »

We will always learn something from each other.  This is one of the purposes of a Christian Fellowship. Grin  Again, I thank all who have sounded off to my question.

To be nice, I changed my sigline to the KJV (original)Format. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 10:33:22 AM by BFWard » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the