Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Stay away from IE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stay away from IE  (Read 14630 times)
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2004, 04:47:40 AM »

US-CERT: Beware of IE
By Ryan Naraine
June 29, 2004

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3374931

The U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser.

On the heels of last week's sophisticated malware attack that targeted a known IE flaw, US-CERT updated an earlier advisory to recommend the use of alternative browsers because of "significant vulnerabilities" in technologies embedded in IE.

"There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies relating to the IE domain/zone security model, the DHTML object model, MIME-type determination, and ActiveX. It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using a different Web browser, especially when browsing untrusted sites," US-CERT noted in a vulnerability note.

The latest US-CERT position comes at a crucial time for Microsoft , which has invested heavily to add secure browsing technologies in the coming Windows XP Service Pack 2. The software giant has spent the last few months talking up the coming IE security improvements but the slow response to patching well-known -- and sometimes "critical" -- browser holes isn't sitting well with security experts.

On discussion lists and message boards, security researchers have spent a lot of time beating the "Dump IE" drum, and the US-CERT notice is sure to lend credibility to the movement away from the world's most popular browser.

US-CERT is a non-profit partnership between the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the public and private sectors. It was established in September 2003 to improve computer security preparedness and response to cyber attacks in the United States.

It has been more than two weeks since Microsoft confirmed the existence on an "extremely critical" IE bug, which was being used to load adware/spyware and malware on PCs without user intervention but, even though the company hinted it would go outside its monthly security update cycle to issue a fix, the flaw remains unpatched.

US-CERT researchers say the IE browser does not adequately validate the security context of a frame that has been redirected by a Web server. It opens the door for an attacker to exploit the flaw by executing script in different security domains.

"By causing script to be evaluated in the Local Machine Zone, the attacker could execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user running IE," according to the advisory.

"Functional exploit code is publicly available, and there are reports of incidents involving this vulnerability."

To protect against the flaw, IE users are urged to disable Active scripting and ActiveX controls in the Internet Zone (or any zone used by an attacker). Other temporary workarounds include the application of the Outlook e-mail security update; the use of plain-text e-mails and the use of anti-virus software.

Surfers must also get into the habit of not clicking on unsolicited URLs from e-mail, instant messages, Web forums or internet relay chat (IRC) sessions

Use the Following Internet Browsers Below:

"Opera's Software - Free Downloads"

"Mozilla Browser - Free Downloads"

Here are some Free AnitVirus Programs that are good and Free.  This Links are in Blue

Yep, Stay away from IE too many Viruses going around.

Use Spybot and Lavasoft to block out unwanted issues. I have both plus Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004 on my computer.  They have free downloads for Lavasoft and Spybot, try them, I think you'll love them as much as I do!

Please Lips Sealed think about the options of really nice free downloads of Very good browsers for the internet.

Opera 7.50 - 7.52 is a very good and stable browser compared to IE.  It comes with a very nice Pop-up blocker, I mean nothing gets through it.  You can adjust the pop-up settings very easy as well.

Opera has a way for you to import all your IE Favorite Places and Hotmail Emails.  I can have as many web pages open in one Window, I can minimize the windows and still be in the main window, this helps in toggling between many web sites! Opera has a Very Neat Password Wand that will remember your passwords and protect them for privacy, sue helps logging into more than one forum or account at once!  Opera is Free to download.  Please try it, Six months ago, I would only use IE, Not anymore, Opera has completely worked for my needs YaY! If you have any questions about my Opera or how to work the many Skins and Settings, please Let me Know, okay!

In my Opera 7.50, I have Two Kristi Ann's Web Sites open, one Christian Unites Forum, one Photobucket account, and one Picture Poster account.

I also have Opera 7.52 running as this how I am typing this here very easy.

Here is the Link too Opera Software below;

Blessings Everyone!   \o/

KristiAnn

I use Opera 7.51, that's how I built Kristi Ann's Haven!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 06:00:58 AM »

I use Mozilla, for my browser. I have had too many problems with IE.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 02:17:44 PM »

My friends are obsessed with Opera. I'll stick with IE, though.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 02:54:50 PM »

My friends are obsessed with Opera. I'll stick with IE, though.

I suppose that is your Choice..... Be careful of the worms and viruses going around on Internet Explorer!!!

I Use DSL and have a choice, Not to use IE at all!

Be careful...

Kristi

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 04:05:11 PM »

I'll stick with IE, though.

Me too. Switching browsers might protect you for a while, but unless you learn how to protect your own system, sooner or later the worms/virii/trojans/scripts etc. are going to be able to affect all the browsers. Personally, I haven't had a bad download from IE because it's protected by software whose developers are not Microsoft. I've gone to sites known to "house" some of those baddies to test it, and come away clean.

The rats who develop these nasties do it for a number of reasons; the challenge being one of them, like a mountain climber climbs the mountain because it's there.

My suggestions: switch browsers if you really like something else, but take the time to learn how to protect your systems properly, no matter what browser or what OS you use.

Also, take the time to learn how to deal with something you do happen to get infected with...don't just rely on an antivirus because they don't always do the job. Some of the stuff out there can disable the antivirus. Like the boyscouts say "be prepared". Don't wait til you've "got it" before you learn about it.

Security and privacy is up to us....you sure won't get it from Microsoft.

http://www.net-integration.net
http://www.spywareinfo.com
http://www.tomcoyote.com

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 09:22:33 PM »

I use "MyIE2" - a free browser software that my LAN Administrator turned me on to.  (You can find it with a simple Google search.) It works great!  It's got all the firewall protection and a great popup blocker - it is extemely functional, plus, in conjuction with my McAffee "super-duper-whooper-blooper-stooper-virus-stopper" (okay - maybe it's just McAffe Delux) I rest easy.

Of course - I still shut my computer down when I'm away for more than an hour or so.  Hey - just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean 'they' aren;t after me!  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:53:24 AM »

I use "MyIE2" - a free browser software that my LAN Administrator turned me on to.  (You can find it with a simple Google search.) It works great!  It's got all the firewall protection and a great popup blocker - it is extemely functional, plus, in conjuction with my McAffee "super-duper-whooper-blooper-stooper-virus-stopper" (okay - maybe it's just McAffe Delux) I rest easy.

Of course - I still shut my computer down when I'm away for more than an hour or so.  Hey - just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean 'they' aren;t after me!  Grin

I also Have MyIE2 it's now named Maxthon. Those of you who want the link, here it is~> Maxthon (MyIE2). They have Free downloads too!

I have many browsers on my computer, IE (YUCK!), MyIE2, Mozilla FireFox, Opera 7.51 & 7.52, Plus my Juno account has a browser similar to IE. I even have AOL loaded on my machine, I don't use it though.

Browsers are Peoples Perferences in Life, they can choose any one they feel meets their needs for the internet. It's still a Free Country last time I checked.

I just wanted to warn everyone about the dangers of IE that is all...  Lips Sealed

iconHis

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 02:17:13 AM »

Thanks Kristi!

Guess that's why I've been getting Trojans every other day!
Not to mention many viruses!

Good thorough information.

Grin
iconHis

HEADS UP Faithful!.... and you are Christ's
                                         and Christ is God's.
                                         1 Cor. 3:23
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 07:12:20 AM »

I have many browsers on my computer, IE (YUCK!), MyIE2, Mozilla FireFox, Opera 7.51 & 7.52, Plus my Juno account has a browser similar to IE. I even have AOL loaded on my machine, I don't use it though.

Do you actually use all those? (well, I see you don't use AOL (ick))  I am wondering....what is the point in so many browsers? (just askin', cause one is all you really need). Am I missing out on something here?

If I really felt the need to change, I probably would go with mozilla, but my IE is so customized I can do pretty much everything I want with it.

blessings
Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 01:39:13 PM »

Hi KristiAnn:

I went and checked out the link for the downloads page you posted for Opera....uh, do you have to put up with advertising through your browser?

The page says:

The user will always see your advertisement in the top-right corner of the Opera browser. The main format for the advertisement is the 468x60 pixel GIF banner.

Buy Opera 7 for Windows
Surf ad free.
When you pay and register Opera, the ad banner disappears.
Access to support. Receive e-mail responses quickly that answer your browser questions.
Opera Web Mail. Get your own Premium Web Mail account for 6 months with 25 MB of storage -- for free
Price: USD 39

ugh...I spent a lot of time and effort trying to avoid ads on the net. A browser that wants you to look at it's ads isn't really free....

Did you buy your browser?

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:04:41 PM »

Hi KristiAnn:

I went and checked out the link for the downloads page you posted for Opera....uh, do you have to put up with advertising through your browser?

The page says:

The user will always see your advertisement in the top-right corner of the Opera browser. The main format for the advertisement is the 468x60 pixel GIF banner.

Buy Opera 7 for Windows
Surf ad free.
When you pay and register Opera, the ad banner disappears.
Access to support. Receive e-mail responses quickly that answer your browser questions.
Opera Web Mail. Get your own Premium Web Mail account for 6 months with 25 MB of storage -- for free
Price: USD 39

ugh...I spent a lot of time and effort trying to avoid ads on the net. A browser that wants you to look at it's ads isn't really free....

Did you buy your browser?

Gracey

Hiya Gracey,  Grin

I am so sorry for my late responding to your questions.  Cry

I did Not Buy my Opera's 7.50 or 7.52 at which I typing this on my Opera 7.50.  With two of Kristi Ann's Haven's Open, another Website I am an Adminitrstor of, Favor Minded Ministries, Ask Jesus.org, and a google window.  All this open in one Opera Window, with all the websites tabbed and I can minimize them in the same Opera Window.

I also have my Opera 7.52 running in it's own Window as well, with eight websites open there.  My 7.50 and 7.52 have small adds above, and they're so small it don't bother me at all. Both Opera's I have come with a built in Pop-up Stopper that Rocks! I don't get any pop-ups at all!!! YaY...

I am Not endorsing Opera, I simply like it for my personal internet browser!!  To each their own, right!

Love Sis,  \o/

MsGuidedAngel
AKA
KristiAnn

George

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 09:13:53 PM »

Everyone should run Firefox in my opinion *grin*
http://getfirefox.com

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 12:01:18 PM »

Everyone should run Firefox in my opinion *grin*
http://getfirefox.com

Hi George.....believe it or not, Mozilla browsers are not a happy thing on my computer. I personally like it (mozilla), however, IE seems to have developed a mind of it's own and refuses to allow any other browser....(shades of "Hal").

Actually, I'm quite sure it's the ops, more so than the browser, but anyway, my computer could easily take it's cue from Hal!

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
InChrist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »

I have been using firefox for 2 or 3 months. I really like it. It is faster than IE, and more easily customized.  Grin

It does have small glitches from time to time, like getting a "cannot locate web page" once in a while. But this in very minor compared to the security flaws in IE.

NOTE: If you use firefox, do not download the ActiveX plug-in. The ActiveX control in IE is one of it's biggest security flaws. If you go to a website that requires ActiveX (like windows update) then use IE for that website and then go back to firefox when done.

May His peace go with you.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 04:13:53 PM »

NOTE: If you use firefox, do not download the ActiveX plug-in. The ActiveX control in IE is one of it's biggest security flaws. If you go to a website that requires ActiveX (like windows update) then use IE for that website and then go back to firefox when done.

Are you aware that just having IE on your computer affords the same opening as if you were using it, even when you aren't?  For instance, for some people, even with mozilla set as a default, have found when access their "hotmail" acccount (personally, I would ditch hotmail)  msn will automatically use ie to open email. Microsoft is a big pain. I wonder what would happen if  IE wasn't installed? Would msn just use the browser that's there? Or would it not open the mail at all?

There's ways to uninstall  IE(but not without a lot of headaches and then, maybe, windows update won't work and various other ms goodies may not either-personally I don't think that's any big loss), but if not, you should have "protection" provided by outside developers.

There is a program (forgotten the name as you need to purchase it, and I didn't) that was developed to replace IE (something or other lite) and the developers specifically developed it to work on all those sites that will only work with IE.

Personally, when I can find a way to completely uninstall IE without wrecking my op system totally (that would be a miracle since it's pretty crummy to begin with), I probably will do it and put out the money for something else.

I do know, though, that IE is more fully integrated with Windows XP than with previous ops, and that makes it harder to uninstall (although, probably not impossible for one so inclined).

†† Guided by God ††
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the