Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:07:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Romans 8v3 God's victory over sin through His Son
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Romans 8v3 God's victory over sin through His Son  (Read 1511 times)
TrevorL

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2004, 06:01:31 AM »

Romans 8v3 God's victory over sin through His Son

Romans 8:3 (KJV): "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:"

This is an important verse because it stands between two sections. Chapter 7 was considering the environment of the Law and the failure of all to keep it. Chapter 8 considers the victory that can be received for those in the environment of the "Spirit of life".
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh
The Law only revealed sin, it did not have power to create a holy life Romans 7. When the Law came in contact with the flesh, human nature, it even awakened sin Romans 7:7-9.
God sending his own Son
The work of salvation was from God the Father. It was necessary for Jesus to be the Son of God Luke 1:35, John 1:14, to achieve the holy character of Jesus, and the fulness of grace and truth.
in the likeness of sinful flesh
Or in the likeness of sin's flesh. Jesus came in the same human nature as all mankind Hebrews 2:14. In all others this flesh, this human nature had Sin as its Master or Lord. He was tempted in all points as we are tempted, but he never sinned.
and for sin
Some would render this "for a sin offering" because of the LXX usage. It could simply mean, because of sin, on behalf of sin. He came to represent sinners to God and to rescue Adam's descendants from sin and all its effects.
condemned sin in the flesh
He overcame the lusts of the flesh within himself, rendering them of no effect. He overcame sin at its very source. He crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts as a pattern for all to follow Galatians 5:24. In Christ was achieved what the Law could not accomplish, the overcoming of sin and its effects.

The word condemned echoes Romans 8:1 (KJV): "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus", showing that this victory is centred in Christ, and this victory is by means of the condemnation of sin in a member of Adam's race. We partake of the atonement when we are in Christ Jesus. We are in Christ Jesus by a belief of the gospel and baptism Acts 8:5,12 and when we "walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit".

Galatians 2:20 speaks of this new active crucified/resurrected life motivated by the love of Christ:
Galatians 2:20 (KJV): "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Kind regards
Trevor
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 06:06:38 AM »

Galatians 2:20 (KJV): "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 12:25:26 PM »

Gal 5:1 --  Standfast therefore in the LIBERTY, wherewith
Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the
yolk of bondage.

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 03:40:07 AM »

Hello Ravenloche,

Brother, it's great to see you back - WE MISSED YOU!

Back on topic:

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:  Romans 5:1

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?  Romans 8:32

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.  Romans 10:4

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.  John 8:12.

Our liberty, peace, and salvation is IN THE LIGHT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the