Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is choosing Jesus a "work"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is choosing Jesus a "work"?  (Read 1221 times)
Bronzesnake
« on: July 11, 2004, 04:31:20 PM »

There are some who believe that choosing to accept Jesus is a "work" and therefore, a sin. That God has pre-selected everyone who will be saved. So - Jesus' promise that whosoever, accepts Him will be saved, is in effect, a lie.
I don't believe this....Other opinions?

Bronzesnake
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »

I don't believe it either!
Can't be because it is His will that none will perish. Yet, the sad reality is that people do perish. Unfortunately, His will isn't always done.
If He predestined us, then all would be predestined because that would be His will.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Lionroar0

I'm a Lion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »

Ditto. NOt much to say on the subject really.  
I think the confusion is coming from verses taken out of context, what those are i have no idea. If someone knows or has an idea maybe they can post them and we can have a better sence of were this confusion is coming from and we can hopefully sort it out.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 06:36:35 PM »

There are some who believe that choosing to accept Jesus is a "work" and therefore, a sin. That God has pre-selected everyone who will be saved. So - Jesus' promise that whosoever, accepts Him will be saved, is in effect, a lie.

Bronzesnake
John 6:27.  Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
 28.  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
 29.  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Believing on Jesus is a work. The work of God. When we believe on Christ and come unto HIm we are working the work of God.

The devil is talking when it is said that accepting Christ is a work and a sin. Many are so confused about the works of the law and the work of God.
 Imagine choosing to accept Christ being a sin because it is a work!
Oh Satan, Get thee hence!

Ollie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:44:32 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 07:45:26 PM »

Bronzesnake
John 6:27.  Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
 28.  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
 29.  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Believing on Jesus is a work. The work of God. When we believe on Christ and come unto HIm we are working the work of God.

The devil is talking when it is said that accepting Christ is a work and a sin. Many are so confused about the works of the law and the work of God.
 Imagine choosing to accept Christ being a sin because it is a work!
Oh Satan, Get thee hence!

Ollie

I agree Ollie.
However, I should clarify...

When I said "work" it was taken in the context of being a sin.
In other words - There are some who believe God has pre-selected those of us who will be saved, and we can not choose Jesus - we have no "free will" - and to believe we can choose Jesus - is a "work" of sin - in the same manner as those who believe we don't need Jesus, as long as we are "good" people and do only good things.

I simply reject this. Jesus says - whoever believes in Him, shall be saved. We are created with FREE WILL!

Bronzesnake.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 08:09:30 PM »

There are some who believe that choosing to accept Jesus is a "work" and therefore, a sin. That God has pre-selected everyone who will be saved.

I don't believe this either.

If God has "pre-selected" everyone, there would be a lot of things we wouldn't need to do...like spread the Good News, or witness. Since God had already chosen those whom He would save, I guess they'd get the "Good News" first hand.

Why would He have given us the great commission? Just to see if we'd do it? Didn't He give us that charge so that as many as heard it could have the option of choosing Christ and being saved?

Jesus says - whoever believes in Him, shall be saved. We are created with FREE WILL!

Yep. Hallelujah!

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Bronzesnake
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 09:07:39 PM »

There are some who believe that choosing to accept Jesus is a "work" and therefore, a sin. That God has pre-selected everyone who will be saved.

I don't believe this either.

If God has "pre-selected" everyone, there would be a lot of things we wouldn't need to do...like spread the Good News, or witness. Since God had already chosen those whom He would save, I guess they'd get the "Good News" first hand.

Why would He have given us the great commission? Just to see if we'd do it? Didn't He give us that charge so that as many as heard it could have the option of choosing Christ and being saved?

Jesus says - whoever believes in Him, shall be saved. We are created with FREE WILL!

Yep. Hallelujah!

Gracey

You made some excellent points my friend.

1Jo 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [to be] the Saviour of the world.  

1Jo 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.  

Bronzesnake
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 05:23:33 AM »

Bronzesnake

On this I agree with you Bronzesnake Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the