Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "This generation shall not pass" Matthew 24:34
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "This generation shall not pass" Matthew 24:34  (Read 2132 times)
emtmedgrl

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2004, 08:03:21 PM »

Hey there everyone.  I have a question regarding Jesus speaking about his 2nd coming.  In Matthew 24:34 He says:
34I tell you the truth, this generation[1] will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
Does Jesus me race in this verse?  I have met some people who believe that Jesus already came back in 70 A.D.  Why do some people believe that.  I am fairly new to studying up on the end times my self so some guidance would be great.  I personally believe the end times are still to come.  Anyway, any comments/feedback would be appreciated on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 08:29:55 PM »

Some people believe Elvis still lives, Emt, and most people do NOT believe that Jesus is the only way to God. It is a fact that in every generation there are many who think that we are in End Times. That's the nature of the human being.
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:45:37 AM »

I've often wondered about that verse myself.

We do have to remember that God is not bound by time. He created time for us.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 10:57:31 PM »

I think that "this generation" refers to Christ's church rather than an actual paternal 'generations'.  Obviously – I have no scripture to back that up (or I would have posted it), however I believe Christ was speaking about His church as ‘this generation’ – the church ‘generated’ by His coming which will not have passed away before His second coming.  
Thoughts?

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Lionroar0

I'm a Lion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 01:09:35 AM »

hi emt

I took a secular class called the Bible as Literature. I will give the interpretation from that class.

70 ad refers to the destruction of the temple and jerusalem. Their thinking is this: Other times that jerusalem or the jews were conquered God would send someone to reistate them and since Jesus said that he was cmoing back; for them it would be logical to make the assumption that Jesus would come back to reinstare the jerusalem and the jews after the romans destroyed jerusalem and the temple. This is based on OT scripture were the jews were conquered and then God would send someone to restate them.

Although i don't agree with this i do see the logic behind.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 05:19:28 PM »

70 ad refers to the destruction of the temple and jerusalem. Their thinking is this: Other times that jerusalem or the jews were conquered God would send someone to reistate them and since Jesus said that he was cmoing back;

This to some extent agrees with what I had believed also. From my very limited understanding, the greek word translated as "generation" is (according to strong's lexicon, which may or may not be totally accurate):

ghen-eh-ah'
From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

It says from a presumed derivative of G1085 (another greek word):

ghen'-os
From G1096; “kin” (abstractly or concretely, literally or figuratively, individually or collectively): - born, country (-man), diversity, generation, kind (-red), nation, offspring, stock.

Some scholars believe the "generation" to mean Jerusalem.

My own personal opinion is yet uncertain.

I think that "this generation" refers to Christ's church

This could be too, since the word appears to also mean "nation" or "offspring"...the church being the "offspring" of Christ could qualify.

These previous verses give me pause for thought also...

Mat 24:14  And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Mat 24:21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

I'm not much on the grammatical stuff, but 24:21 sort of gives a pretty open time period: from the beginning to "this time" (which time? the time of His telling of it or the time He speaks of, which would make it future?), and it ends with "nor ever shall be".

....pause

Gracey †

†† Guided by God ††
Lionroar0

I'm a Lion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 05:51:53 PM »

hi gracey

Yes i agree it's pretty open.  That's y i don't agree with the other explantion.
Xtreme

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 10:48:29 PM »

Greetings Friends!
      Hello everyone I'm back safe and sound from a missions trip to Belize. Anyways, back on topic. I think he meant simply the NT generation. I have no clue when, but I do believe it is sooner than most people think. Well, that's it for now. Be Blessed, and Be Loved.

Praise The Blessed and Loving Savior, Jesus Christ!
Xtreme
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 11:13:20 PM »

Welcome back Xtreme.
Hopefully you had time for some fishing while you were in Belize!
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Xtreme

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 11:46:21 PM »

Greetings Friends!

Nope, so time for fishing JN. We went to a boys school down there, and helped them with lots of things around the school. Plumbing, roofing, bats, painting, etc... But the best was watching those boys except Jesus Christ into their hearts. It was amazing! The whole experience was awesome, the scenery, the people, everything. That's the first time I've been out of the country, and I can't wait to go again. Well, Be blessed, and Be loved.

Praise Thy Father In Heaven!
Xtreme
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the