Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286839 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is smoking cigarettes a sin?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is smoking cigarettes a sin?  (Read 3658 times)
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 11:06:37 PM »

Is being anarexic a sin? I mean, if you eat enough to keep yourself alive? The answer to that one is pretty obvious to me.

Now, here's a more reasonable question, and I really do want to know what all of you think.

What's the difference between smoking and being anarexic? In both cases, the person does it to make themselves feel beter. In both cases, it's bad for one's body.

I'd like to be corrected on this view, and I'm waiting for the rebutal Smiley

-Matt

I personally feel they are both sins.
As long as mankind has free-will, mankind will be inclined to sin.
That doesn't make it right.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 11:40:23 PM »

So you think you have a choice to sin, Hischild? Then be perfect, right now and forever. I, for one, would love to be perfect.
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 11:47:28 PM »

So you think you have a choice to sin, Hischild? Then be perfect, right now and forever. I, for one, would love to be perfect.

We make a lot of choices in this world, including the choice to sin.
The flesh is weak therefore I do not believe that we will ever be free of sin before we reach Heaven.
Does the word repentance ring a bell?
When we sin we should repent and try to abstain from that sin. God does not make us sin. He is perfect and holy and pure.

Can't invent His deity.
Matt
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 11:54:47 PM »

Why should I even try to be perfect, Heidi, if I can't make the right decisions no matter what I do? What would be the point in trying? Btw, I'm still waiting for you to answer my other questions.

-Thank you, Matt
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 12:24:11 AM »

Actually, my comment was not in reference to smoking being a sin, it is in reference to those who say smoking is a sin on the basis that it hurts your body, and yet still eat McDonalds. I think you are a little confused. I do not believe either is a sin. However, is one was to call smoking as sin on the basis that it is unhealthy, then that person also my treat their body with respect. This includes injecting only health things.

But, to asnwer your question. If, hypothetically, smoking was a sin, the difference is the type of sin. Anorexia is vanity, and smoking can be gluttony.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2004, 12:34:01 AM »

And just who do you think TAKES AWAY YOUR SINS, Matt? You or Jesus's death on the cross? Do you even have a clue WHY he suffered agony and torture? Do you have ANY idea WHY HE WENT THROUGH ALL OF THAT? Romans, 7:7, "For I would have not known what coveting really was if the law had not said; "Do not covet". But sin, SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY AFFORDED BY THE COMMANDMENT, PRODUCED IN ME EVERY KINd OF COVETOUES DESIRE." Paul is saying that we not only CANNOT obey the law but can in fact, ONLY do the OPPOSITE! That is precisely WHY we NEEDED Christ's death on the cross! This is basic Christianity! ALL of us are TRAPPED in our sins and ONLY Christ's death can free us! Therefore, instead of TRYING to love our neighbor, which isn't real because it's forced, ALL we can do is admit the TRUTH, that we do NOT love our neighbor, ask for forgiveness and it is God's forgiveness, love, and mercy that we give to our neighbor! That is how Jesus takes our sins away! As we confess them, one by one, he REPLACES THEM with his spiritof forgiveness, love, and mercy, until one day, all that's LEFT in us is the spirit. That is how christ FULFILLED the law for us. IT IS FINISHED. that is also why ALL we have to do is BELEIEVE that we are forgiven and from that comes thankfulness, forgiveness, and genuine love! It ALL comes from God! Not one bit comes from me!  
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2004, 01:01:33 AM »

Heidi- Is God perfect and holy and pure?

Can't invent His deity.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2004, 07:43:57 AM »

Ok how can you sin if you do not think it is wrong?

There's a verse in the Bible that says we can sin in ignorance. It happens. However, you are partly right - most sin is because of heart condition - what your intent is.

For an example of a sin in ignorance, say gossip. That sin can easily work it's way into somebody's life - almost all of us do it. We drop little mean, critical statements about our family members or boss or somebody else that we wouldn't have said to the person's face. We don't even really think about it. It's still a sin.

-Matt

The sacrifice they made for the sins made in ignorance was to try to fulfill the letter of the law.  It was like trying to cover all the bases, so no it does not apply any more.  We fulfill even the laws we don't realize we are breaking through love for it fulfills all the law.  That is why we don't worry about the specifics of whether a thing in and of itself is offensive to God - only whether we intend it to be offensive.  If we are trying to offend God or man we obviously aren't loving them and if we are intent on loving them then we aren't possibly intending to offend them.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2004, 09:52:27 AM »

The biggest exampe of sin in ignorance is PRIDE. ANY time we glorify OURSELVES instead of God, we are engaging in the sin of pride. ANY time we try to extract attention for ourselves instead of giving it to others, we are engaging in the sin of pride, which is everyday! Any time we boast, saying that WE do good instead of that it is GOD who does good THROUGH us, we are indulging in the sin of pride. Without God's unconditional love in us, we have no CHOICE but to boast about ourselves because thatt's the only way we feel loveable! Those who DO have the unconditional love of God in them have no CHOICE but to be humble because we KNOW that whatever good in us comes from God alone! That is PRECISELY why when addressed by the rich man as "Good Sir", Jesus said; "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." Humility comes from the Holy Spirit and Jesus was LOADED with it, NOT arrogance! Jesus was COMPLETELY FILLED WITH GOD'S SPIRIT IN HIM and he knows more than the rest of us just where his good works come from! Boasting comes from the sin of pride which is from the devil.
SavedByGrace02

MY BOSS IS A JEWISH CARPENTER!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 08:35:07 PM »

One thing that I keep in mind (and this is also in the Bible) is that our bodies, they are the temply of God. Even though the bible does not mention smokeing to be a sin, that one has to at least say something about it though. in the meanwhile i'll try to find that verse for you.

"I love the Lord...You see! I looove the Lord! and if loving the Lord is wrong, I DONT WANT TO BE RIGHT!" ~The crazy Rev. from the movie Comming to America~
Shwa

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

I always make a decision on whether or not a sin is a sin by this:  Will it ruin my whitness?  I don't think there's a better way to make a judgement.  WWJD used to be the popular thing, and it's still valid in my opinion.  But I believe we are on earth for 2 (main) reasons.  1 - Worship god with all our lives (Mark 12:30) 2 - Help bring others to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:19).  If we are doing things that hinder our worship or our ability to whitness to others, we aren't glorifying God.  Whether you call it sin or not, that's up to you.  God gave us all the ability to judge the difference in right and wrong.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:18 PM »

Hiya Amanda,

I will Pray for you! I know this is hard on you, with God anything is Possible.

Blessings to Amanda!!  \o/

KristiAnn

PS. I have never smoked in my life. With my birth defect, I already have very weak lungs..  Undecided

C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »

I'm an Ex-Smoker, smoker.  Grin I've failed quitting more times than I can count, but I think it did start again at least one more times than I quit.  Otherwise, I'd be NOT smoking right now.  So, I lost count of the times that I've quit and I've lost count of the times that I started again, but I know I started one more time than I quit.

Grin  If I don't stop this, they're going to have to create one of those smilies with YELLOW teeth.   Grin

Good luck!

Smoking only ruins your witness to judgmental folks.  The church is full of judgmental people so don't worry, we wont miss out on them if they don't join because of your smoking.   Grin

That was a joke!

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 05:06:26 PM »

Grin   Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin     Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

I think I'm going to be smoker's rights advocate, and I'm going to start by suing because they don't make these smilies with Yellow Teeth.  

Grin  I think us smokers are being misrepresented on the web!

More jokes . . . Grin

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2004, 03:16:56 PM »

Hey there everyone.  I am a new Christian and I am a smoker.  I would like to quit and I am working on doing so.  I wanted to know if smoking is a sin?  One of the main reasons I ask is because a few Christian friends of mine have told me I am going to hell whether I accepted Christ or not because I do smoke cigarettes.  I definetly do not want to appear to be a hypocrite.  Can someone give me some feedback as to whether this is a sin or not?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda
Romans 14:13.  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
 14.  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
 15.  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
 16.  Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
 17.  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
 18.  For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
 19.  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
 20.  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
 21.  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
 22.  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
 23.  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 06:30:24 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the