Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is smoking cigarettes a sin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is smoking cigarettes a sin?  (Read 3637 times)
emtmedgrl

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »

Hey there everyone.  I am a new Christian and I am a smoker.  I would like to quit and I am working on doing so.  I wanted to know if smoking is a sin?  One of the main reasons I ask is because a few Christian friends of mine have told me I am going to hell whether I accepted Christ or not because I do smoke cigarettes.  I definetly do not want to appear to be a hypocrite.  Can someone give me some feedback as to whether this is a sin or not?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:08:19 PM »

Hi emt,
I also smoke and I believe that smoking is a sin. I think it falls into the sin of gluttony, but that's just my opinion. Paul said; "everything is permissible for me-but not everything is beneficial...food for the stomach and the stomach for food, but I will not be mastered by anything." I have asked God to tak away my smoking many times but to no avail. Paul als had a thorn which he asked God to remove also but God's answer was that His grace was sufficient for Paul. In either case, it can't be good for us. The best thing to do is pray about it. God will meet you where you're at and only give you what you can bear. Good luck!
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 01:38:38 PM »

I was an ex-smoker.  Cry
Now I'm a soon to be ex-smoker.  Wink
Maybe we could be stop smoking buddies?  Smiley
Smoking is a sin and I like Heidi's comparision to gluttony.

I wonder what kind of friends you are hanging out with who would make you think that you are going to hell for smoking?
It sounds a lot to me like the WOF or name it and claim it crowd.

We don't get saved and suddenly have our sins disappear. If we did I would have been sin free for over a decade now.

I like the saying I once heard a preacher say on the topic of smoking:
Smoking won't send you to hell, it'll just make you smell like you've been there.  Wink

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
emtmedgrl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 01:54:58 PM »

Yeah, the friends i'm talking about are sadly the only friends I have in the area who are believers however I do think their doctrine is a bit off.  They attend the International Church of Christ and their church is very legalistic.  They already think i'm going to hell because I don't believe that Baptism saves me.  I believe it is a command and I have gotten baptized but not with the belief that baptism is what saved me.  
So... the fact that I am not a believer in their doctrine as well as a smoker I apparently am major sinner who believes false doctrine as well regarding salvation.  Oh well.  I know the truth.
Thanks for the input on smoking.  I do agree with the glutteny theory.  
The way I look at it is this...  If Jesus was physically standing right next to me... would I light up a cigarette?  Nope.  Why should it be any different right now even though I can't see him.
Smiley

Thanks again,

Amanda
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »

Yeah, the friends i'm talking about are sadly the only friends I have in the area who are believers however I do think their doctrine is a bit off.  They attend the International Church of Christ and their church is very legalistic.  They already think i'm going to hell because I don't believe that Baptism saves me.  I believe it is a command and I have gotten baptized but not with the belief that baptism is what saved me.  

I don't believe that Baptism saves you either.  Grace is what saves, Baptism is one of the instructions Jesus gave us as a means to show our loving obedience and true belief in Him by embracing His teachings.

So... the fact that I am not a believer in their doctrine as well as a smoker I apparently am major sinner who believes false doctrine as well regarding salvation.  Oh well.  I know the truth.

Thanks for the input on smoking.  I do agree with the glutteny theory.  

The way I look at it is this...  If Jesus was physically standing right next to me... would I light up a cigarette?  Nope.  Why should it be any different right now even though I can't see him.
Smiley

Thanks again,

Amanda

Sin requires more than the act it requires intent to do something you know to be wrong.  If you did not think smoking was bad for you and you did not think it was against the instructions of our Lord Jesus Christ then it would not be sinful.  But it sounds as if you know both of these things so I would think it is a sin for you.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:02:38 PM »

Hi Amanda-
I would encourage you to look at other churches and to read God's Word daily.
You are right on the baptismal issue. I'm sure there are threads addressing this issue.
I will pray for you.
You can reach me on aim as Hischild1994.
Roberta

Can't invent His deity.
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 02:06:07 PM »

Sin requires more than the act it requires intent to do something you know to be wrong.  If you did not think smoking was bad for you and you did not think it was against the instructions of our Lord Jesus Christ then it would not be sinful.  But it sounds as if you know both of these things so I would think it is a sin for you.

So something is only a sin if one thinks it's a sin?  Huh
Thats an interesting theology.

Can't invent His deity.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 02:37:37 PM »

So something is only a sin if one thinks it's a sin?  Huh
Thats an interesting theology.

Ok how can you sin if you do not think it is wrong?

If you run someone over in your car but didn't intend to are you sinning?  But if you intend to hurt the person and aim at them then the same act becomes a sin.  It is not the act it is the intent behind the act.

Paul extends this concept to eating food offered to idols.

1Co 8:4  As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

So it is not a sin if you realize there is no reality behind the idol.

However we should be careful not to lead those to sin who have not made the more mature assessment of the situation.

1Co 8:7  Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

So yes if you do not think something is an offense to God (a sin) then you mean no offense by it and therefore it becomes not a sin for you.

That is why nothing is unlawful for us as long as we are not under its power.

1Co 6:12  All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Matt
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 02:56:50 PM »

Ok how can you sin if you do not think it is wrong?

There's a verse in the Bible that says we can sin in ignorance. It happens. However, you are partly right - most sin is because of heart condition - what your intent is.

For an example of a sin in ignorance, say gossip. That sin can easily work it's way into somebody's life - almost all of us do it. We drop little mean, critical statements about our family members or boss or somebody else that we wouldn't have said to the person's face. We don't even really think about it. It's still a sin.

-Matt
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 03:03:57 PM »

I have a co-worker who really gets on my nerves. She gets on most everyone's nerves. Next time she opens her mouth I think I should smack her.
I don't think it's a sin and most of my co-workers wouldn't either. Therefore, it can't be a sin.

I've decided that housework is a sin, therefore I will not do it anymore.

Sorry Micheal- your analogy doesn't work very well.

Can't invent His deity.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »

I have a co-worker who really gets on my nerves. She gets on most everyone's nerves. Next time she opens her mouth I think I should smack her.

I don't think it's a sin and most of my co-workers wouldn't either. Therefore, it can't be a sin.

If you REALLY feel that smacking someone is not a sin then it is not.  There is justified violence in the world - though I don't suspect your example qualifies because I think you are being sarcastic when you say that you think it would not be a sin to smack someone who gets on your nerves.  But say that person was someone you caught moleting a child then smacking them would be entirely justified and it would not be a sin because you might not feel it was not an offense to God (some still would not strike even in this situation but that is up to the person).  Your co-workers are not involved in this decision - it is how you see the act yourself not how others see it.  That is the whoel point to fulfilling the spirit of the law through love.  If you believe you are acting out of love for God and man then your act cannot be wrong even though it appears to violate the letter of the law, like when Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

I don't know if housework is a sin or not for you - I have never seen how badly you keep house ( ;Dducking and running for cover Grin)

His_child

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 03:24:35 PM »

If you REALLY feel that smacking someone is not a sin then it is not.  There is justified violence in the world - though I don't suspect your example qualifies because I think you are being sarcastic when you say that you think it would not be a sin to smack someone who gets on your nerves.  But say that person was someone you caught moleting a child then smacking them would be entirely justified and it would not be a sin because you might not feel it was not an offense to God (some still would not strike even in this situation but that is up to the person).  Your co-workers are not involved in this decision - it is how you see the act yourself not how others see it.  That is the whoel point to fulfilling the spirit of the law through love.  If you believe you are acting out of love for God and man then your act cannot be wrong even though it appears to violate the letter of the law, like when Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

I don't know if housework is a sin or not for you - I have never seen how badly you keep house ( ;Dducking and running for cover Grin)

Believe me, you don't wanna see my house.  Smiley

My co-workers would have a party if someone would put this annoying co-worker in her place.

As far as the child molester- it's different when defending or protecting someone.

Can't invent His deity.
Matt
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 06:08:05 PM »

Hebrews 9:7 "But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance."

I know that this was under the first covenant, but it still remains that sin committed in ignorance exists.

-Matt
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 07:23:17 PM »

I smoke every now and then. It is a social thing for me. On top of that, if you can find out when your profs smoke, it really helps your grade to become his smoking buddy.

No, it is not a sin, I see nothing that would make it a sin. Last person that told me it was a sin because it was hurting my body was drinking a coke at the time, if you get what I'm saying... Wink

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Matt
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 10:37:17 PM »

Is being anarexic a sin? I mean, if you eat enough to keep yourself alive? The answer to that one is pretty obvious to me.

Now, here's a more reasonable question, and I really do want to know what all of you think.

What's the difference between smoking and being anarexic? In both cases, the person does it to make themselves feel beter. In both cases, it's bad for one's body.

I'd like to be corrected on this view, and I'm waiting for the rebutal Smiley

-Matt
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the