Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Gay Christian priests: A contradiction in terms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gay Christian priests: A contradiction in terms  (Read 3994 times)
Shwynix

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:28:26 AM »

Hi all,

If this is discussed in another thread then i would be happy to be directed to this.

I have been hearing and reading about a lot of instances where churches are opening their priesthoods to gays and allowing them to lead flocks of Christians.

I’m struggling with this issue lately. Am I being judgmental in not accepting a practicing gay priest or a confessed celibate gay priest as spiritual leader? Surely to be a leader of anything you must set an example of clean living according to a standard you want others to live by.  I do not approve of the sin of homosexuality, how can I? I would be keeping that person in bondage and if I did this then I do not love my neighbor.

Am I being judgmental by not condoning this practice?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:09:14 AM »

Hi all,

If this is discussed in another thread then i would be happy to be directed to this.

I have been hearing and reading about a lot of instances where churches are opening their priesthoods to gays and allowing them to lead flocks of Christians.

I’m struggling with this issue lately. Am I being judgmental in not accepting a practicing gay priest or a confessed celibate gay priest as spiritual leader? Surely to be a leader of anything you must set an example of clean living according to a standard you want others to live by.  I do not approve of the sin of homosexuality, how can I? I would be keeping that person in bondage and if I did this then I do not love my neighbor.

No such thing as a Christian (priest)

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Shwynix

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 04:24:33 AM »

According to the rules of this forum, only one side of the case can be presented.

OK, but some Christians, (or should that rather be followers of Christ Brother Love?), are condoning this practice and it is dividing churches in their beliefs. If there are no persons who condone this then the discussion is pointless and only one side may be presented but if there is then the discussion is not that pointless, is it?

Anyway, i'm signing off. May God watch between you and me.

with love
GD
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 07:13:43 PM »

Hi all,

I&#8217;m struggling with this issue lately. Am I being judgmental in not accepting a practicing gay priest or a confessed celibate gay priest as spiritual leader? Surely to be a leader of anything you must set an example of clean living according to a standard you want others to live by.  I do not approve of the sin of homosexuality, how can I? I would be keeping that person in bondage and if I did this then I do not love my neighbor.

<Smiley))><
Revelation 1:4.  John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
 5.  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
 6.  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 2:5.  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:9.  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Support your local Christian.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »

Here in Canada, I once heard a newly appointed "gay Bishop" explain away his sin this way...
 This is not verbatim, but it went somewhat like this...

When confronted with verses about the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah, as well as Romans -1:26 - 27,  the  Bishop responded by saying that "there were no homosexuals in those days, and those warnings were advanced simply because such a thing was so unthinkable to the ancient people"...

That sort of blows the theory of "being born that way" out of the water doesn't it?

It was a lame explanation. He did what so many liberal Christians do - he insinuated the bible was merely a man made book, and not necessarily the way God intended it to be - in order to legitimize his sin. In the minds of liberal Christians - the God of the Holy Bible is incompetent - and not able to present His Word the way He intended it to be. How can these people believe any of the Bible, if so much of it is simply a "mistake of man" or "out of date" ?

I treat everyone with respect - regardless of their beliefs. However, I do not accept Christians who profess that homosexuality is not a sin, simply because they don't want to give it up and repent. I treat homosexuals with respect, but I do not candy coat my beliefs. When and if the subject of eternal salvation comes up - I inform that unrepentant sin does not go unpunished. I am not in any position to tell anyone who goes to Hell or who doesn't - that's God's job. However, those answers can be found in the Bible - whether you choose to believe it, is your business - just don't be surprised to find yourself in Hell when the end comes.

Same goes for adulterers. There are Christians who have affairs while being married, and they are also on a slippery road. God doesn't mince His words when it comes to such sins. In the end - we either take the Bible literally - or we take our salvation in our own hands.

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:  

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.  

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;  

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,  

Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,  

Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:  

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I would not attend a Church which legitimized homosexuality - nor would I accept a gay paster.

Bronzesnake.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 09:04:25 PM »

If someone's sexuality rules their life to the point of making it a primary focus, (whether they are a pastor, a doctor or a lawyer), even if they aren't a "practicing" homosexual, they are guilty of idolatry. Period.
I want my pastor's number one focus to be Jesus Christ - not sexuality.  I don't want a pastor who idolizes sex - AC or DC.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 05:34:28 AM »

Hi all,

I&#8217;m struggling with this issue lately. Am I being judgmental in not accepting a practicing gay priest or a confessed celibate gay priest as spiritual leader? Surely to be a leader of anything you must set an example of clean living according to a standard you want others to live by.  I do not approve of the sin of homosexuality, how can I? I would be keeping that person in bondage and if I did this then I do not love my neighbor.

<Smiley))><
Revelation 1:4.  John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
 5.  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
 6.  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 2:5.  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:9.  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Poor Ollie

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 05:49:05 AM »

Same goes for adulterers. There are Christians who have affairs while being married, and they are also on a slippery road. God doesn't mince His words when it comes to such sins. In the end - we either take the Bible literally - or we take our salvation in our own hands.

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:  

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.  

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;  

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,  

Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,  

Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:  

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I would not attend a Church which legitimized homosexuality - nor would I accept a gay paster.

Bronzesnake.
Excellent verses Bronzesnake, I have to agree with you. I wouldn't attend a Church which legitimized homosexuality or would I accept a gay pastor.

Leviticus 18:22 "Man shall not
lie with man as he does with woman
which is homosexuality. I refuse to judge anyone because of this .........................

I am not God, therfore I can't judge anyone. All I can do is to remind people that homosexuality, is a sin.

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 05:55:00 AM »

I am not God, therfore I can't judge anyone. All I can do is to remind people that homosexuality, is a sin.  

AMEN!!!!!

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 04:03:13 PM »

I would be afraid, very afraid if my pastor had "man problems".  As a single Christian woman I know just how far off track I can get if there's "man problems" in my life.  I lose my focus and I can't function.  

But I agree with the scriptures Ollie posted.  We're ALL responsible to spread the gospel. If a person is a homosexual and he believes His Lord, and he's working on overcoming sin, isn't he lumped in with all the rest of us who have yet to reach perfection?Huh?
The scriptures do say, "Above reproach" and "not even a HINT of sexual immorality"

In my small and judgmental mind, however, I would think that a person who Champions their church obove a relationship with Christ   . . . .
and an organization who put mere men in the place of God . . .
saying that we have a relationship to them them instead of a relationship with God, are violating greater commandments and stomping over more important principles then the gay folks who decide to evangelize in an organized fashion.

Personally, I prefer a gay person that preaches the gospel than a straight person who preaches evolution.

That's my two cents. . .

Peace
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 04:06:34 PM by Candice Cavalier » Logged

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 06:06:08 PM »

Hi all,

<Smiley))><

Poor Ollie

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Huh Huh Care to elaborate on why "Poor Ollie"?

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 06:20:29 PM »

Hi all,

<Smiley))><
Huh Embarrassed
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 06:21:37 PM »

Hi all,

<Smiley))><

Wink Wink
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 08:01:23 PM »

But I agree with the scriptures Ollie posted.  We're ALL responsible to spread the gospel. If a person is a homosexual and he believes His Lord, and he's working on overcoming sin, isn't he lumped in with all the rest of us who have yet to reach perfection?Huh?

I would guess that depends whether or he/she has repented of the sin.... if he believes His Lord and knows it is an abomination in the eyes of God, wouldn't it follow that he would repent and abstain, at least?

True, we are not perfect; never will be here on this earth, anyway. So, even those things we are repentant of sometimes creep back up on us.

In my small and judgmental mind, however, I would think that a person who Champions their church obove a relationship with Christ  . . . .
and an organization who put mere men in the place of God . . .
saying that we have a relationship to them them instead of a relationship with God, are violating greater commandments and stomping over more important principles then the gay folks who decide to evangelize in an organized fashion.

Sin is sin...I don't know, is there anything else called an "abomination in the eyes of God" in the bible? I'd have to go look it up, and my computer is havin' a nervous breakdown.

peace
Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 08:15:53 PM »

candice said Personally, I prefer a gay person that preaches the gospel than a straight person who preaches evolution.

well i cant knowingly receive my spiritial guidance from a pastor, preacher or priest , that has not repented and cotinues liveing in sin willing and knowingly, no matter what life style it may be, gay, bye, wife beater, thief you name it. if its a on going life style than they need to stop.
yes we all fall short , but we must at least not live a constant repeatting life style of sin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the