Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Teaching of Self-Esteem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Teaching of Self-Esteem  (Read 1825 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2004, 05:15:26 PM »

"Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince [refute] the gainsayers." -- Titus 1:9

Satan never rests in his insatiable desire to corrupt the Word of God. A case in point is the present-day teaching of self-love, self-esteem and self-worth.  The influence of this unsound doctrine has nearly permeated every strata of Christendom, including the Grace Movement.  Like the beat of a drum, this theme is heard almost constantly from the pulpits of America and frequently appears on the pages of Christian literature.  Beware when you hear or read: "It is important to feel good about yourself," "Learn to love your-self," "Probe your innermost self to under-stand why you think and feel as you do," "God sent His son to die for you because you are of great value."

On the surface these phrases may seem commendable, but in reality they are diamet-rically opposed to the Scriptures.  The above has been weighed in the balance and found to be wanting.  For example: "The heart [innermost self] is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jer. 17:9).  Paul concurred when he said, "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh, [old nature or self]) dwelleth no good thing" (Rom. 7:18).  The old man (self) is at enmity against God.  He hates God and the things of God and left to himself he will not seek God.  The Scriptures, from beginning to end, speak with a unified voice that the old nature is rotten to the core (See Rom. 3:9-18).

Consequently, our old man (self) has been crucified with Christ.  Paul made reference to this when he wrote to the Galatians, "I am crucified with Christ [i.e. his old man]: never-theless I live [Paul's new nature]; yet NOT I [self], but Christ liveth in me."  We are to put off the old nature and put on the new, which is created in holiness and righteousness (Eph. 4:22-24).  It is futile to improve one's self-image, especially since God abhors any attempt to do so.  Rather, we are to conform ourselves to the image of His dear Son. Thus, those of the household of faith are to live accordingly:

"Let nothing be done through strife or vain-glory; but in lowliness of mind let us esteem other better than themselves.  Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 2:3-5).

Self takes great pleasure in acclaim, indul-gence, approval and praise.  It glories in all these things.  But are we not robbing God when self is esteemed more highly than His glory?  "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have of God, AND YE ARE NOT YOUR OWN?  For ye are bought with a price:
therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's" (I Cor. 6:19,20).

Shall we permit the "love of one's self" doc-trine to overshadow the love of God in Christ Jesus?  God forbid!  May God help us to stand against this insidious teaching that essentially robs God of the glory that is right-fully due Him.

By Paul M. Sadler,

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 07:05:42 PM »

I'm so glad you brought this up, Ambassador. Real self-esteem is NOT boastful or proud behavior. I am ONLY loveable because God has forgiven me. My self-love comes from God, not narcissism. Unfortunately, those who have not received his love have no choice but to boast about themselves because that's the only way they feel loveable. Thanks for posting.
nimble

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 03:38:15 PM »

is self-esteem bad? I agree that narcissism is bad. But is having a true firm belief that you are good, and that you deserve whatever you earn is a bad thing? Without self esteem, where would we be?
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 05:36:16 PM »

is self-esteem bad? I agree that narcissism is bad. But is having a true firm belief that you are good, and that you deserve whatever you earn is a bad thing? Without self esteem, where would we be?

For Christians, there must be a proper balance between knowing and acknowledging that we owe everything to God, and that we belong to Him, and there is no intrinsic good in us, and at the same time rejoicing in what we are in Christ -- sons of God, heirs of God, friends and brethren of God, kings and priests before God. These are tremendous privileges accompanied by tremendous responsibilities.

Because God has blessed His children so richly, we must be careful to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God and walk in humility and love. At the same time, we must be careful to remember that God lives within us, and we are indeed sons of God and heirs of God. Without this balance, Satan will gain the advantage over us.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the