Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  For Sinners Only
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For Sinners Only  (Read 1776 times)
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2004, 12:53:16 PM »

By grace you have been saved through faith . . . ; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. —Ephesians 2:8-9

Many non-Christians know the hymn "Amazing Grace" but may not know what grace means. One day when evangelist D. L. Moody was studying the meaning of God's grace, he dashed into the street and shouted to the first man he saw, "Do you know grace?" Mystified, the man replied, "Grace who?" No doubt Moody then explained grace —that God has compassion on sin-sick people and freely offers them forgiveness and new life through faith in Christ.
I heard of a man who had lived a troubled life and died without understanding the message of God's grace. A minister had talked to him and encouraged him to come to church, but his response was, "I'm too undeserving." He didn't know that God's grace is for the undeserving.

In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, he bluntly described their pre-Christian lives as being "dead in trespasses and sins" (2:1). Then he used two hope-filled words: but God (v.4). They introduce God's mercy and grace that provide forgiveness and new life through Christ. Salvation is through faith, not works, so no one can boast (vv.8-9).

Let's help others to understand that God's salvation is for sinners only-and that includes all of us. That's what makes God's grace so amazing! —Joanie Yoder

Amazing grace— How sweet the sound—
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind but now I see. —Newton

The first step to receiving eternal life is to admit that we don't deserve it.

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
BlackmanX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:19:58 PM »

The  Lord  has  eternity.....we  are  mortal  and  thus, we have only  know.  One  lifetime  in  which  to  love  and live and seek happiness.   Each and  every  single day  that  we live might be our  last.   Let's  try  to  enjoy  the  here  and  now.  There  are no guarantees.   We  have  only  now. peace.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 02:36:02 PM »

Mat 6:19  Do not lay up treasures on earth for yourselves, where moth and rust corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
Mat 6:20  But lay up treasures in Heaven for yourselves, where neither moth nor rust corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
Mat 6:21  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Joh 6:54  Whoever partakes of My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 12:24  Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it abides alone; but if it dies, it brings forth much fruit.
Joh 12:25  He who loves his life shall lose it. And he who hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal.

Tit 1:2  on hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before the eternal times,

Let's  try  to  enjoy  the  here  and  now

Thanks, but I'll save mine for dessert.

Smiley Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Neo
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:04:23 AM »

Tit 1:2  on hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before the eternal times,

God cannot lie, or does not lie?
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 07:38:56 AM »

Hi Neo...

Here's the verse from six different bibles:

Tit 1:2  on hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before the eternal times, (MKJV)
Tit 1:2  In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; (KJV)
Tit 1:2  in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began (ESV)
Tit 1:2  Then they will have the hope of eternal life that God promised long ago. And God never tells a lie! (CEV)
Tit 1:2  in hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before times eternal; (ASV)
Tit 1:2  upon hope of life age-during, which God, who doth not lie, did promise before times of ages, (YLT)

I have 15 different ones, but tend to use the KJV/MKJV or ASV (American Standard Version) most often.

Barnes Notes on the passage:

The fact that God cannot lie; that it is his nature always to speak the truth; and that no circumstances can ever occur in which He will depart from it, is the foundation of all our hopes of salvation.

The dictioneries translating the greek:

Thayer's Greek Dictionery:
apseude¯s
1) without lie, truthful
Part of Speech: adjective

Strong's Hebrew & Greek Dictionery:
apseude¯s
aps-yoo-dace'
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G5579; veracious: - that cannot lie.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 03:53:22 PM »

The  Lord  has  eternity.....we  are  mortal  and  thus, we have only  know.  One  lifetime  in  which  to  love  and live and seek happiness.   Each and  every  single day  that  we live might be our  last.   Let's  try  to  enjoy  the  here  and  now.  There  are no guarantees.   We  have  only  now. peace.
We have hope for eternal life through Jesus Christ!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:55:57 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 10:33:19 PM »

Neo says:
I can understand it if God does not lie.
But if he cannot lie, then doesn't that contradict his omnipotence?

God is good: completely and undeniably 100% good.  Is it possible for even 0.000000001% evil (a lie) to exist in the same “space” as 100% good?  Absolutely not.  It is spiritually and mathematically impossible.

Is white really white, or does it contain some black?

I contend that it is, in fact, impossible for God to sin.  Sin is against God's nature which is why it is sin.  If it is possible for God to sin, then our entire reason for being is worthless; if Jesus Christ is a liar then we are all lost; if there is no perfection to strive toward then chaos should rule.  Yet, chaos does not rule.  Jesus Christ God rules in perfection.  To deny that is to deny God and all creation.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Neo
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:31 AM »

That's fine, JudgeNot. I have no problem whatsoever with that! Smiley

It simply means that God is not capable of doing absolutely anything and everything, that's all.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 02:12:36 AM »

It simply means that God is not capable of doing absolutely anything and everything, that's all.

Hi Neo...

Trying to imply God has a weakness through arguing semantics only shows your own position of weakness.

A friend entrusted me to keep a secret. Another friend found out I knew this secret and asked me to tell him. I told him, sorry, "I can't". I couldn't tell him because I promised my first friend that I would keep his secret.

God can not lie, because He has promised to be Truth. He is so powerful that He has seen to it that He can not lie.

It's not that He couldn't, it's that He won't, and therefore He can't.

Bronzesnake.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 09:10:12 AM »

God is all powerful, (omnipotent),  over His creation. He gave men law.
The law defines sin. Transgression of the law is sin.
God is the lawgiver and omnipotent in its presentation. God gave the law to man through Moses. The law is for man the creation given by God the creator.
His omnipotency has nothing to do with the way man transgresses His law.
Being omnipotent does not mean that because He isn't subject to His laws for man and cannot commit sin that he is not omnipotent.
His being omnipotent, (or all powerful), means He gives the law, man is subject to them and sin exists with the transgression of them.
If there were no transgression of God's law by men, then sin would not exist.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 09:14:19 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 01:48:20 PM »

Neo - I have to admit, you are one of the funnier scoffers I've come across.  But, as with all scoffers, you are so anxious to prove an unprovable point it is really sad to me.

I still don't understand something - maybe you can explain it to me: Why do athiests consider it such great "sport" to invade Christian forums?  I mean seriously - I really am interested in your answer.  Do you come here because you feel superior and it builds your ego?  Do you come here because you think you may be able to talk someone into giving up their faith?  Are you searching for something your secular lifestyle can't offer?  What is your reasoning?

For me, going onto an athiest forum would be kinda like going into the lady's room - I know what goes on there and I have no inclination, desire or need to even consider it.  Someone like you who has a brain that works totally backwards from the way mine works simply baffles me.

But that's okay - a lot of things totally baffle me.  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 04:19:30 PM »

Thanks!
Hey, anytime!  Smiley

Mental exercise.
I can accept that.  What kind of  mental exercise do you get here that you can't get elsewhere?  I'm an engineer (paid to think) so when I get off work I often find myself 'brain-dead'.  I enjoy interacting with other Christians for just the opposite reason; relaxation and inspiration.  When I get a hankering for 'other' mental excercise I play around on a few political boards.  I do have to admit I get a certain amount of 'satisfaction' when liberals tell me how 'hateful' I am for not practicing their "unique" brand of what they indentify as tolerance.  Is that a little "sadistic" of me?  Possibly - but I attribute it to the Adam in me, not the spirit.  (Hey!  I never claimed to be anything near perfect!  Grin )

Except for "atheists" who come raging in, shouting "God is dead" or "Yay, Satan!" Those kinds of people are just stupid, maladjusted, and seeking attention.
A big Amen to that, partner!

1.) What goes on there?
As I said above, I enjoy the interaction here for relaxational and inspirational learning.  And just good old fashion fellowship with folks with the common goal of loving the Lord.  Secular fellowship (is that an oxymoron???  Just kidding  Grin ) isn't my cup of tea.

2.) Why not consider it?
For the same reason I don't consider joining the 'Stone Throwing Team' at the Scottish games - it doesn't interest me and I would be way out of my league!  Wink

Fair enough.
Hey - I'm a lot of things, but I hope 'unfair' isn't one of them!  Grin

Take care,
JN

JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 06:57:08 PM »

Neo,
Now that I’ve socialized (my last post to you) let me gat back to your “Can God Lie” question.  It is actually a thoughtful question that made me think.  (Just what I told you I don’t like to have to do!  Angry  Grin )
Okay – let’s begin with the given (which is actually what you are arguing against)
Given:  God is omnipotent.  
Given:  As omnipotent God is Truth.
Given:  As omnipotent God is Love.
As omnipotent, God encompasses everything (remember that God is spirit: in all places at all times, past present and future - forever).
So, your question is “could God lie”.  My answer remains an unwavering NO.  Absolutely not.  Your retort is “Then if He can’t lie He cannot be omnipotent”.  That is an incorrect assessment.  

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Why would He have to lie?  He is the Word.  A lie is born of man’s self protection, or greed.  God is not man.  God is forever, and everything is His.  What would He have to gain from a lie?  Exactly the same thing he would gain from stealing!  If a man owned everything on earth (hey – we’re talking richer than Bill Gates, here  Grin ) and he walked into a store and picked something up and left without paying, would he be guilty of theft?  No.  How could he be – he already owned it!
I know for a fact that you’ll not convince me that God is other than omnipotent, and I really don’t think you are trying to sway me from my faith.  So, I can only assume that you’re searching for proof the He is, in fact, omnipotent.  Tell me how I can convince you of that my friend.  I’m certainly willing to try.  Smiley

Catch you on the back side,
JN

JPD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the