Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Just a question...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just a question...  (Read 1777 times)
Hariko

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2004, 03:54:17 PM »

I’m sorry if this sounds like blasphemy in anyway but it’s something I’ve been pondering for awhile...

Pride is supposedly the “mother” of the seven sins in the sense that if you turn it into an arrogance of sorts it causes you to commit all the others. Is this actually 100% accurate? I find the answer here to be no.

Envy, greed, and wrath can all stir up after someone gets their pride hurt so that part is true, yes... however both lust and gluttony seem unrelated to it. Does getting your ego hurt really have anything to do with shallow relationships or over-eating? No, in fact I for one actually don’t eat much of anything when I’m exceedingly hurt inside. Therefore, can someone explain to me exactly how pride is the “mother” of the seven sins?

.... there’s also another thing I don’t get about that though. Gluttony... how come it is a sin? Physical appearance doesn’t matter to God, does it? No, being obese only hurts the person in question physically anyway. It would make sense if drunkenness was counted as part of gluttony yet it doesn’t.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 04:06:53 PM »

Greetings Hariko, welcome to C-Unite!

You don’t sound blasphemous at all – just curious, and it’s a very good thing to be curious and want to learn more about our Lord.

To be truthful, I’m not even sure where the list of “seven deadly sins” got its origin.  However I do know that pride is dangerous because prideful people tend to put themselves before God (not a good thing!).
Gluttony is sinful because the Lord lives in you (via the Holy Spirit), therefore your body is also His temple.  It’s always good to take care of the Lord’s temple!
 Smiley

That's my take on your questions - I'm sure others here who have a lot more brain-power than I can give you a more complete answer.

God bless,
JN
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 04:12:11 PM by JudgeNot » Logged

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
asaph

Call on Jesus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 01:00:38 PM »

I’m sorry if this sounds like blasphemy in anyway but it’s something I’ve been pondering for awhile...

Pride is supposedly the “mother” of the seven sins in the sense that if you turn it into an arrogance of sorts it causes you to commit all the others. Is this actually 100% accurate? I find the answer here to be no.

Envy, greed, and wrath can all stir up after someone gets their pride hurt so that part is true, yes... however both lust and gluttony seem unrelated to it. Does getting your ego hurt really have anything to do with shallow relationships or over-eating? No, in fact I for one actually don’t eat much of anything when I’m exceedingly hurt inside. Therefore, can someone explain to me exactly how pride is the “mother” of the seven sins?

.... there’s also another thing I don’t get about that though. Gluttony... how come it is a sin? Physical appearance doesn’t matter to God, does it? No, being obese only hurts the person in question physically anyway. It would make sense if drunkenness was counted as part of gluttony yet it doesn’t.
Hariko,
One of the fruits of the Spirit is temperance. Gluttony is against this fruit. I think that drunkenness is a form of gluttony because temperance is needed here also. Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach problem. He also says to be not drunk with wine... but be filled with the Spirit. I think pride is involved with gluttony and drunkenness if only indirectly. Some people refuse to be temperant in all things because they will not humble themselves under the hand of God.
Proverbs 23
20   Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:
21   For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

asaph

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 05:37:31 PM »

Sin is sin. What does it matter if one leads to another. One is enough if not forgiven.

Support your local Christian.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 09:06:28 PM »

Actually, imho, the seven deadly sins are man's contrived list. Here is God's list:

Proverbs 6:16 These six things God hates; yea, seven are hateful to his soul;
17 a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that plots evil plans, feet hurrying to run to mischief,
19 a false witness who breathes lies, and he who causes strife among brothers.

If you consider each of the seven things the God hates, pride appears to give birth to each of them.  If there is anything that keeps you from God's standard of living, it is pride.  Why? because pride is what elevates a person into thinking they are right in their own eyes.  

Remember that satan's sin was pride and it got him thrown out of heaven.  Or think of Eve - what was the first sin? knowledge to equal God's = P R I D E

True submission to God is humility, the realization that He must have full reign in us and the opposite of pride.  Every part of us that is kept from Him is pride - from which all sin is birthed.  If He is not Lord of all, He is not Lord at all.

Shalom, MalkyEL

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the