Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  communion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: communion  (Read 4269 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 08:29:14 PM »

I believe Lutheran churches do every week and believe in transubstantiation.
We attend a Lutheran congregation (notice I didn't say 'church', ollie!  Wink) and they do not have communion every Sunday. I believe theirs is every three months, but it may be just a local practise to do it that way. (More often we attend at a Reformed Baptist, and their communion is every month.) The Christian United Reformed church down the road does it every three months (but they prefer that those who take it are registered members of their 'church').
"We attend a Lutheran congregation (notice I didn't say 'church', ollie!  Wink)"

When I was Lutheran we refered to the Lutheran organization as "the Lutheran church". I never could find "the Lutheran church in the Bible, but I accepted such before I really got down to business of studying the Bible and came to the conclusion that the church is God's through Christ and not Luther's.

:)Ollie

Support your local Christian.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 08:42:31 PM »

does any church give communion out every sunday besides catholic. and why do so many do it once a month?
Hi Butcha!  When I first started attended the PLACE OF WORSHIP WHERE I NOW ATTEND....how's that Ollie?...I was surprised to find that the congregation took communion every Sunday.  My first thoughts were that the importance of that sacrament would be diminished and that it would become just another ritual.  I was mistaken.  I am not Catholic nor Anglican, but I have come to look forward to taking communion each Sunday because in doing so I am constantly reminded of the sacrifice my Lord Jesus made for me.  It is my special time (during the worship service) when it is just Him and me as close as I can be to Him in this world.  When I miss communion now..I miss it from the bottom of my heart.
"When I first started attended the PLACE OF WORSHIP WHERE I NOW ATTEND....how's that Ollie?..."

Not sure I understand what the intentions of your words are?
A christians place of worship should be within his inner self 24/7/365. However we assemble together to do it collectively a few times a week. The only difference being that we are sharing and offerimg the worship to God with those of like faith instead of as an individual.

Ollie

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 08:55:31 PM »

so does anyone know why "ROMAN CATHOLICS" parishes(not church) has communion weekly and others dont. were did this practice of doing it weekly come from.
Many believe the breaking of bread on the first day of the week refered to at Acts 20:7 is the Lord's supper due to the fact that Paul admonished one congregation to eat their common meal in their homes and not at their assemblies thereby infering that the breaking of bread in Acts 20:7 is communion.

Ollie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 08:58:14 PM by ollie » Logged

BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 03:04:45 PM »

so does anyone know why "ROMAN CATHOLICS" parishes(not church) has communion weekly and others dont. were did this practice of doing it weekly come from.
Many believe the breaking of bread on the first day of the week refered to at Acts 20:7 is the Lord's supper due to the fact that Paul admonished one congregation to eat their common meal in their homes and not at their assemblies thereby infering that the breaking of bread in Acts 20:7 is communion.

Ollie
im wonderring if you dont mind witch assembly to you go to?place of worship?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 10:01:23 PM »

In the Early church (and still now for many) the Eucharist is the REASON for meeting. Of course, they did more then just had communion, however, our Sunday morning church stemmed from this tradition. You didn’t just have communion at the Sunday meeting in the early church, you had a meeting on Sunday morning for the purpose of communion.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 05:26:40 PM »

:)JudgeNot, I grew up in a Congregational Christian church where we also took communion every three months and I felt that it was a way to set that special time apart from the other services we had each week.  That was why I was unsettled at first about taking communion every Sunday.  Bottom line is I guess that it will be special whenever I partake but I do believe that as Tibby said that it may have been for that very purpose that the early congregations assembled in the first place.  To be together and remember His sacrifice.

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 11:17:32 PM »

Threadbear,
I'm not sure where the tradition of weekly communion came about - Tibby can probably fill in that blank, as a student he's pretty good with 'blanks' the rest of us wrestle with.
I know that Jesus, during the Passover, said "Do this in rememberance of Me".  But as far as I know, he didn't give instruction as to how often that should be: Just during Passover?  Quarterly?  Monthly?  Weekly?

Tibby or ML or Butcha or... (you note I'm asking Catholics  Grin) Can you help us out here?  Does it stipulate in the Bible how often we "remember" through communion?

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 01:42:27 AM »

Tibby or ML or Butcha or... (you note I'm asking Catholics  Grin) Can you help us out here?  Does it stipulate in the Bible how often we "remember" through communion?

In the original text, the word was much deeper then Remember. It would be better to define the word as “relive.” The word in the original text means to be taken back to the moment. I could pronoun the word with grace for you, but I’m not even going to try for a spelling! Besides, I’m not going to be into that debate.

The point is, I wish to relive that as much as possible. Experience the power of God, be allowed to partake of him, mind, body and soul. Most Catholic churches allow for daily communion. I believe doing so is part of the priestly vows, and anyone may come and partake with him if they so choose. There is a limit on WHO may partake, but I doubt there is a limit of how much.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the