Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286866 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  guy's Qs on set fate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: guy's Qs on set fate  (Read 1065 times)
mac

LB Navigator

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2004, 05:11:34 PM »

this subject was brought up in a car forum i post on and would like to help shed some light but need a little help.  heres what he posted:

"This thing has been kind of in the back of my mind. I think about it ever so often. And before you read this, I'm not trying to deter anyone away from religion.

Anyways, God is all knowledgable, correct? He knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen, correct? So does that mean that my fate is already set? You would have to believe that your fate is already set, if its not, then God won't know the future, as if everything is changing. So it seems like if I was meant to burn in hell, I can't do anything now to stop it, my fate is already set. But, if I am supposed to be up in heaven, then I'm already set."

thanx

"Never put a question mark where God has put a period" - Richard Petty
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 10:28:16 PM »

this subject was brought up in a car forum i post on and would like to help shed some light but need a little help.  heres what he posted:

"This thing has been kind of in the back of my mind. I think about it ever so often. And before you read this, I'm not trying to deter anyone away from religion.

Anyways, God is all knowledgable, correct? He knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen, correct? So does that mean that my fate is already set? You would have to believe that your fate is already set, if its not, then God won't know the future, as if everything is changing. So it seems like if I was meant to burn in hell, I can't do anything now to stop it, my fate is already set. But, if I am supposed to be up in heaven, then I'm already set."

thanx

The problem with deterministic predestination (which is what the question is getting to) is that it is trying to draw a conclusion based on applying cause and effect logic to an almighty God who is outside of time.  Man's logic simply  cannot handle the issue.  What we know of the understanding of this issue is best represented by those closest to Jesus who taught sound doctrine to His Apostle directly such that they could ask questions and later when inspired by the Holy Spirit pass this understanding on to their followers (the early Church Fathers) such that the Church came away with a proper understanding of it.  That understanding has been shown through out the history to be that God's knowledge does not contradict His gift of free will to us.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 09:35:46 AM »

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Whom he predestined, those he also called. Whom he called, those he also justified. Whom he justified, those he also glorified. (Rom 8:28-30)

A) For whom he foreknew, he also predestined
B) Whom he predestined, those he also called
C) Whom he called, those he also justified
D) Whom he justified, those he also glorifiedc

foreknew - Knowledge of an event before it occurs

predestined - Decree or determine beforehand

called - Order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role

justified - absolve (grant remission of a sin), free (let off the hook)

glorified - metamorphose (change completely the nature or appearance of)

This is my covenant to them, when I will take away their sins." Concerning the Good News, they are enemies for your sake. But concerning the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sake. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (Rom 11:27-29)

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 10:23:52 AM »

thanx
Your fate is not set and God knows that all who come to His Son Jesus Christ will be saved. All who do not will not be saved. Eternal life in Jesus Christ or eternal damnation outside Christ. Theses are the two "fates" or final outcomes that God has given the world. Which one is yours?

Acts 2:21.  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 10:13.  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
 14.  How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
 15.  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
 16.  But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17.  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

1 Timothy 2:1.  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
 2.  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
 3.  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
 4.  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5.  For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
 6.  Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:47:12 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the