Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Earthquakes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 42328 times)
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »

I was thinking today after reading about 9,000 killed in an earthquake that the Lord's coming must be soon--I hope.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

I was thinking today after reading about 9,000 killed in an earthquake that the Lord's coming must be soon--I hope.

Hello Jon-Marc,

I hope so too. TODAY WOULD BE JUST GREAT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2008, 09:21:50 PM »

Hello Jon-Marc,

I hope so too. TODAY WOULD BE JUST GREAT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

AMEN!!

I know, I'm ready to go to my real home.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »

An earthquake of 6.0 just hit the Rat Islands, a portion of the Aleutian Islands, just off the Alaskan Coast. This is the second one of this or greater magnitude in the last several weeks in this area. This area is a portion of the Pacific Ring of Fire. The ring of fire area has experienced many earthquakes of high magnitude in the last month throughout the Pacific region. While it is common for the Aleutian Island area to experience numerous earthquakes in succession it is not normal for earthquakes of this magnitude.

There are no current reports of damage or tsunami warnings at this point.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »

Earthquake may destroy Jerusalem shrines - Al Aqsa Mosque and the Wailing Wall

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4738

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"At that moment a powerful earthquake struck. One-tenth of the city (Jerusalem) collapsed, 7,000 people were killed by the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven" Revelation 11:3

The Middle East expects a powerful earthquake that endangers not only dozen thousands of human lives, but also world famous shrines such as the Church of the Holly Sepulcher, the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Wailing Wall, the scientists warn.

Minor shakes on the territory of Israel become more frequent and it gives nother reason for anxiety. They don't measure more than three-five balls aren't dangerous for people, the MK.ru website has reported to Interfax-Religion on Friday.

However, according to Israel seismologists, a 7.00 earthquake may happen any time.

"The country is located in the earthquake region near the Syrian-African rift and earthquake measuring 6.00-7.00 on the Richter scale may kill not less than 16,000 people, injure over 90, 000 people and cause material damage to the whole country," Chairman of the Construction engineers and infrastructure association Dr. Serna said.

According to the experts, about 17 per cent of buildings constructed before establishing of the Israeli state and in its first years are to be destroyed by the upcoming earthquake in Jerusalem only. Considerable damage will be inflicted to 11 per cent of modern buildings with average construction quality and 6 per cent of modern buildings with high construction quality.

According to Dr. Ron Evny from the Beer Sheva University, powerful earthquakes have taken place in the Holy Land once in 84 years from the mid 18th century. The last powerful earthquake (6,25) was registered in Palestine on July 11, 1927 and caused 300 deaths.

Besides, a 5,30 ball earthquake was recorded in Israel two years ago. Over 80 unique items were harmed in the architectural conservation area of the excavated ancient town of Hazor founded in the 18th century B.C.

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »

That verse is Rev 11:13 not verse 3.

This particular verse speaks of the time during the two witnesses and the reign of the anti-christ in Jerusalem. In the book of Rev it speaks of earthquakes many times and the great destruction that will come from them.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2008, 12:05:38 AM »

That verse is Rev 11:13 not verse 3.

This particular verse speaks of the time during the two witnesses and the reign of the anti-christ in Jerusalem. In the book of Rev it speaks of earthquakes many times and the great destruction that will come from them.

It might have been a misprint, but interesting how their observations coincide with prophecy.

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »

Hello GrammyLuv and All,

I think there are thousands of pieces to the giant puzzle of Bible Prophecy, and I have no doubt at all that they will all fall in place perfectly at GOD'S Appointed time. This is a wild and fascinating time that we live in for Bible Prophecy.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

Crews search for missing in Japan's 7.2 quake

Rescue squads and military helicopters raced to find 11 people missing after an earthquake in mountainous northern Japan sent hillsides crashing down Saturday, killing at least six and injuring more than 140.

The 7.2-magnitude quake triggered several major landslides, blocking roads and stranding about 100 bathers at a hot spring resort. Crews searching for the missing had to hike mountain trails and dig their way to the worst-hit areas.

"It was the worst quake I have ever felt," said Rinji Sato, whose grocery store in this town near the epicenter was a mess of shattered bottles and food thrown from shelves. "We were just lucky this didn't hit a big city."

Officials said at least 144 people were injured, a number that would surely have been higher if the quake had hit a more heavily populated area. Sato described the temblor as a sharp vertical jolt followed by a powerful sideways swaying.

"It was impossible to stay on your feet," he said.

The government responded quickly, mobilizing troops, police and fire department rescue teams to find and care for the injured and to recover the dead.

"Our most important task is to save as many lives as possible, and we are doing the best we can," Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda said.

Access, however, was a major obstacle.

The quake — followed by more than 150 aftershocks — buckled roads, including one highway that was severed when a stretch of land collapsed, turning it into a sudden drop-off. Trains also were halted throughout most of the region while workers checked the safety of the tracks.

Hundreds of people in several isolated towns with disrupted roads were waiting for rescuers to arrive more than 12 hours after the quake.

"We're getting growing reports of damage, but we can't even get out there to assess the situation with roads closed off because of landslides," said city official Norio Sato in Kurihara, one of the worst-hit cities in northern Miyagi prefecture (state).

Seven people at Komanoyu hot springs were missing and believed buried after a landslide hit the resort, said another Kurihara city official, Katsuyuki Sato. Another 100 or so people were stranded but safe. Kurihara officials said four more were missing elsewhere bringing the total missing to 11.

At a nuclear power plant in Fukushima, about 60 miles away, the jolt splashed a small amount of radioactive water from two pools storing spent fuel. Trade and Industry Ministry official Yoshinori Moriyama said there was no leakage outside the plant.

The Defense Ministry dispatched a dozen helicopters and patrol aircraft to the region to conduct flyovers and assess the extent of damage. The government also sent a CH-47 helicopter carrying Disaster Minister Shinya Izumi to the region.

The 8:43 a.m. quake was centered about 5 miles underground in the prefecture (state) of Iwate. It was felt as far away as Tokyo, 250 miles to the southwest.

"It shook so violently that I couldn't stand still. I had to lean on the wall," said Masanori Oikawa, a city official in nearby Oshu who was at home when the quake struck. "When I rushed to the office, cabinets had been thrown onto the floor and things on the desks were scattered all over the place."

Electricity was cut to about 29,000 households and water to about 500 others, though services were mostly restored by Saturday night.

The dead included three construction workers who were on a hillside when the morning quake struck. The ground gave way beneath them, and they tumbled about 300 feet to their deaths in the avalanche. Twelve others at the site managed to dig themselves out of the landslide.

Another victim ran out of a building in fear and was hit by a passing truck.

Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone areas in the world. The most recent major quake in Japan killed more than 6,400 people in the city of Kobe in January 1995.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2008, 02:50:11 AM »

Strong quake 7.0 shakes east coast of Japan
The Associated Press
10:22 p.m. MT, Fri., July. 18, 2008

TOKYO - A strong earthquake with a preliminary 6.6 magnitude struck off of Japan's eastern coast Saturday, the country's meteorological agency said. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The 11:39 a.m. quake, which occurred off the coast of Fukushima prefecture about 150 miles northeast of Tokyo, was followed by several aftershocks.

The quake, which struck about six miles below the ocean's surface, shook buildings as far away as Tokyo.

The agency issued a tsunami warning for parts of Japan's eastern coast, but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu said there was no broad threat in the Pacific.

However, earthquakes of this magnitude can generate local tsunamis that can be destructive within a 60-mile range, the tsunami center said.

"There are no reports of damage, but tsunamis are still a threat and so we have evacuated the beaches. There were a lot of people out because the weather was so nice today," said Toshihiko Keiokawa, a policeman near where the quake hit.

He had no immediate estimate on the number of evacuees.

Surfers were brought in to land in neighboring Miyagi Prefecture, where there were also no reports of damage or injury, said Norio Watanabe, a local police spokesman.

Japan sits atop four tectonic plates and is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries.

Last month a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck sparsely populated rural areas in northern Japan, killing at least 12 people, leaving 10 others missing and injuring more than 300.

Strong quake shakes east coast of Japan

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2008, 02:51:39 AM »

Tsunami warning in northeast Japan after 7.0 quake

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning in northeast Japan on Saturday after an earthquake measuring 7.0 in magnitude struck off the east coast of Honshu.

There were no initial reports of damage from the quake.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said the tsunami warning was for around 50 cm.

The epicentre of the quake was off the coast of Fukushima prefecture, the same area as a June 14 quake which killed at least 10 and left as many again missing.

Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.

In October 2004, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 struck the Niigata region in northern Japan, killing 65 people and injuring more than 3,000.

That was the deadliest quake since a magnitude 7.3 tremor hit the city of Kobe in 1995, killing more than 6,400.

Tsunami warning in northeast Japan after 7.0 quake

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »

An earthquake was just reported as hitting the area from San Diego to Los Angeles. The most recent report says it was 5.8, a major seismic event. so far there are no reports of damage but it is still early in the reporting stages.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »

1,200 flee as quake hits southern China

Wed Aug 20, 1:42 AM ET

BEIJING - A report says about 1,200 people have evacuated their homes after a 5.3-magnitude earthquake hit southern China near its border with Myanmar.

The state-run Xinhua News Agency says no deaths were reported in Wednesday morning's quake, but many homes collapsed.

A report on the U.S. Geological Survey's Web site says the quake's epicenter was about 140 miles west of the popular tourism city of Dali in China's Yunnan province.

The chief of publicity with Yingjiang County's Communist Party committee told Xinhua that many homes in the epicenter of Sudian Township collapsed.

1,200 flee as quake hits southern China

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »

12 killed in Russian North Caucasus quake

Sat Oct 11, 1:29 PM ET

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia - A strong earthquake hit Chechnya and other parts of Russia's North Caucasus Saturday, killing at least 12 people and damaging scores of hospitals, schools and other buildings, emergency officials said.

The quake hit around 1 p.m. (0900 GMT) and was centered northeast of the Chechen capital, Grozny, Russian emergency officials said. The U.S. Geological Survey said the temblor had a magnitude of 5.3.

At least 12 people were killed in the quake and a series of aftershocks, which were felt throughout the North Caucasus and which rattled Grozny for more than 30 seconds, the regional Emergency Situations Ministry office said. The toll was expected to rise as officials got information from outlying districts.

Most victims were killed by falling debris or furniture in homes and apartment buildings, said Oleg Grekov, a regional emergency official. More than 60 people sought medical help in the hardest hit Chechen towns, which included Grozny and Gudermes, he said.

Russia's Caucasus Mountain region only sees occasional earthquakes. Most buildings are not reinforced against severe structural shocks and even small quakes can cause serious damage.

Emergency officials said buildings in some districts saw serious structural damage, including hospitals in two Chechen districts.

Chechnya is one of Russia's poorest regions, having suffered through two devastating wars in the past 15 years. Many people in the region are unemployed, and sporadic fighting between separatist rebels and federal and regional forces erupts regularly.

12 killed in Russian North Caucasus quake

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2008, 12:44:35 AM »

Quake shakes British Virgin Islands
Posted: 07:21 AM ET

(CNN) — A 6.1-magnitude earthquake shook the British Virgin Islands at 6:40 a.m. ET Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There was no immediate information about possible damage.

The quake was centered about 50 miles (81 km) north of Little Harbour, British Virgin Islands, at a depth of 18 miles (29 km), the USGS said.

Quake shakes British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the