Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Earthquakes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 42381 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »

This is a Firefox plugin which lists earthquakes as they occur. It even shakes and tosses your browser screen by amounts relative to the strength of the quake!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Earthquake!!  Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2008, 04:24:26 PM »

Fault Line Spawning Strong Indonesian Earthquakes May Be Sign of Worse to Come

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

JAKARTA, Indonesia —
The fault line that spawned the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami has ruptured nearly 20 times this month, causing three strong earthquakes.

The activity shows the stress the seam is under and could be a harbinger of worse to come, scientists warn.

Kerry Sieh, from the California Institute of Technology, has studied the fault for more than 10 years. He likened it to a length of rope in an imaginary tug of war between a group of men and an elephant.

"One by one, two by two, the men are getting worn out and are letting go of the rope. That puts more stress on each of the remaining men," he wrote in an e-mail Tuesday. "Who knows which one will let go next, or whether they will let go all at once?"

Sieh and other scientists using Global Positioning System transmitters to measure the uplift of the quakes say another massive temblor sometime in the next 100 years or so is likely, but they cannot predict exactly when that will occur.

The fault line is the boundary between the Eurasian and Pacific tectonic plates that have been pushing against each other for millions of years, causing huge pressure to build up. It runs the length of the west coast of Sumatra about 125 miles offshore.

The steady stream of earthquakes it has produced this month do not seem to be alarming residents much. Witnesses say some have prompted people to flee swaying homes, but few are heeding or are aware of the tsunami warnings that routinely accompany the big jolts.

"People did not really care because such a tremor is nothing new," Erwin, a resident in the coastal town of Padang, said minutes after a powerful quake early Tuesday. "It was just like the one in the afternoon," said Erwin, who like many Indonesians goes by a single name.

The 2004 earthquake off Aceh province in northwest Sumatra had a magnitude of 9.2, making it the most powerful temblor in four decades. It triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 12 Indian Ocean countries, more than half in Indonesia.

Three months after the tsunami, a magnitude 8.6 quake farther down the fault line killed 1,000 people. Then in September last year, an 8.7 quake opposite Bengkulu province damaged thousands of homes, killed about 25 people and sent a 10-foot tsunami crashing into nearby coastlines.

Last Wednesday, a magnitude 7.4 quake killed three people and damaged scores of houses. Since Sunday, four other events strong enough to prompt tsunami warnings by international agencies have jolted the region.

"They are best seen as part of a chain that began in 2004," said Dr. Fauzi, a top scientist at Indonesia's National Earthquake Center. "The stability of the fault has been disturbed," said Fauzi, who goes by a single name.

Since the Indian Ocean tsunami, Indonesia has spent millions of dollars to establish a nationwide tsunami warning system, but there are still only a few warning sirens in Sumatra's threatened western coast and other beach areas.

Officials and residents of the two most populous cities of Padang and Bengkulu said no sirens sounded following the recent earthquakes despite warnings issued by the country's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency.

"We don't have such equipment," said Suyud, an official at Bengkulu's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency. "If there were tsunami warnings issued it was only government officials who knew that from text messages on their cell phones."

Fault Line Spawning Strong Indonesian Earthquakes May Be Sign of Worse to Come
~~~~~

And my browser shook like mad, a few minutes ago. So somewhere out there was an earthquake.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »

Magnitude 5.2 - MINDORO, PHILIPPINES

Magnitude   5.2
Date-Time   

* Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 22:57:02 UTC
    * Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 06:57:02 AM at epicenter
    * Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location   13.296°N, 120.716°E
Depth   59.8 km (37.2 miles)
Region   MINDORO, PHILIPPINES
Distances   50 km (30 miles) W of Calapan, Mindoro, Philippines
60 km (40 miles) SW of Batangas, Luzon, Philippines
150 km (90 miles) S of MANILA, Philippines
175 km (110 miles) SSE of Olongapo, Luzon, Philippines
Location Uncertainty   horizontal +/- 12 km (7.5 miles); depth +/- 26.8 km (16.7 miles)
Parameters   NST= 18, Nph= 18, Dmin=869.7 km, Rmss=0.67 sec, Gp=115°,
M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source   

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

This is a Firefox plugin which lists earthquakes as they occur. It even shakes and tosses your browser screen by amounts relative to the strength of the quake!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Earthquake!!  Grin

Grin   Grin   Grin    ROFL!

I thought you were kidding until I clicked the link. What will they think of next? I think that I'll pass on all the effects, but I am considering a news reader again with a variety of carefully selected sources. I understand that the Thunderbird Email program will probably do what I need. I had a Firefox extension called Sage installed quite some time ago. Sage worked extremely well, but I quickly got more news than I wanted.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »

Moderate earthquake and string of aftershocks jolt eastern Iran

The Associated Press
Sunday, March 9, 2008

TEHRAN, Iran: A moderate earthquake with a magnitude 5.1 and its aftershocks rattled a sparsely populated remote area in eastern Iran on Sunday morning, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The earthquake hit the town of Arianshahr near Birjand some 1,300 kilometers southeast of the capital, Tehran at 7:21 a.m. local time. (0351 GMT)

"Some people took refuge in tents after the quake caused cracks on the old walls in the epicenter," the report said. Families kept their children from school out of fear and over the next two hours there were 11 aftershocks.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake had a magnitude of 4.9.

Iran is located on several seismic fault lines and is prone to earthquakes, experiencing at least one slight quake every day on average. In November, a medium-sized quake injured 20 schoolchildren in southwestern Iran.

In March 2006, three earthquakes and nine aftershocks hit western Iran, in quick succession, killing at least 70 people and injuring about 1,200.

Moderate earthquake and string of aftershocks jolt eastern Iran
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iran          God

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »

No details yet! update in a couple of min.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

7.2 in a remote area,
That's good, that means low casulities...
My son has a friend in China.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »

Earthquake Details
Magnitude   7.2
Date-Time   

* Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 22:33:01 UTC
    * Friday, March 21, 2008 at 06:33:01 AM at epicenter
    * Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location   35.424°N, 81.386°E
Depth   37.2 km (23.1 miles)
Region   XINJIANG-XIZANG BORDER REGION
Distances   230 km (140 miles) SE of Hotan, Xinjiang, China
375 km (235 miles) ENE of Leh, Kashmir
615 km (385 miles) ENE of Srinagar, Kashmir
3105 km (1930 miles) W of BEIJING, Beijing, China
Location Uncertainty   horizontal +/- 6.6 km (4.1 miles); depth +/- 10.2 km (6.3 miles)
Parameters   NST=134, Nph=134, Dmin=962.1 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source   

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

USGS Website

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »

Earthquake damages China's network
(chinanews.cn)
Updated: 2006-12-28 11:08

Taiwan earthquake damaged telecommunication cables linking the Chinese mainland, disconnecting users with overseas Websites like MSN service, China Netcom said on Tuesday.

Two people were killed and 42 injured when three buildings collapsed in earthquakes hit southern Taiwan Province yesterday, which also damaged at least six undersea telecommunication cables, affecting users in China and South Korea.

The quake, measured at magnitude 7.2 by the the national earthquake observation network, hit the island's southern coast at 8:26pm on Tuesday.

Aftershocks through the evening in Taiwan were measured at up to magnitude 7.0 by the U.S. Geological Survey.

Earthquake damages China's network
~~~~~~

USGS reports 7.2 magnitude quake in SE China

40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Geological Survey has verified a major 7.2 magnitude earthquake at 6:33 p.m. EDT on Thursday, in southeastern China, 141 miles SE of Hotan, Xinjiang.

The temblor was initially reported as 7.4 magnitude.

The depth of the quake was verified pegged at 23.1 miles.

USGS reports 7.2 magnitude quake in SE China

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »

Strong quake shakes northern Chile
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:23:08

A strong quake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale has struck northern Chile, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

The quake, centered 141 km east of the Chilean city of Iquique, struck at 2030 GMT Monday at a depth of 120 km, the US Geological Survey said.

"For the moment we have no reports of damage or power disruptions," a source at Chile's National Disaster Agency (ONEMI) said shortly after the quake, which struck near the Bolivian border.

Miners in the region said they felt the quake, but there were no initial reports of damage from major mines either in Chile or Peru to the north, Reuters reported.

Strong quake shakes northern Chile

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »

Powerful 7.1 quake in Southern Ocean

Fri Apr 11, 11:56 PM ET

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A strong earthquake hit near the remote Australian territory of Macquarie Island Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of injury or damage, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center Web site said no tsunami alert has been issued following the magnitude 7.1 quake.

The U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors quakes around the world, reported the temblor hit at 11:30 a.m. Saturday and was centered beneath open ocean, 70 miles southwest of Macquarie Island, Australia's main sub-Antarctic territory.

It was located 1,240 miles south of the New Zealand capital, Wellington.

Powerful 7.1 quake in Southern Ocean

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2008, 11:27:14 PM »

Earthquake shakes hills near Rome

Sat Apr 12, 8:06 AM ET

ROME - Italian authorities say a small earthquake has shaken the Alban Hills southeast of Rome. No injuries or damage have been reported.

Many people were awakened by the quake, which struck at 1:44 a.m. EDT Saturday. Parts of eastern Rome also have reported feeling it.

Italy's Civil Protection Department says the quake had a 3.8 magnitude.

About 15 minutes after the quake, an aftershock shook the area of the epicenter, near the wine-growing towns of Frascati and Marino.

Ciampino, a town near the hills that has a small airport serving Rome, also reported feeling the tremors.

Earthquake shakes hills near Rome

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »

Unusual Earthquakes Measured Off Oregon
Apr 12, 5:06 PM (ET)

By JEFF BARNARD

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) - Scientists listening to underwater microphones have detected an unusual swarm of earthquakes off central Oregon, something that often happens before a volcanic eruption - except there are no volcanoes in the area.

Scientists don't know exactly what the earthquakes mean, but they could be the result of molten rock rumbling away from the recognized earthquake faults off Oregon, said Robert Dziak, a geophysicist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Oregon State University.

There have been more than 600 quakes over the past 10 days in a basin 150 miles southwest of Newport. The biggest was magnitude 5.4, and two others were more than magnitude 5.0, OSU reported.

On the hydrophones, the quakes sound like low thunder and are unlike anything scientists have heard in 17 years of listening, Dziak said. Some of the quakes have also been detected by earthquake instruments on land.

The hydrophones are left over from a network the Navy used to listen for submarines during the Cold War. They routinely detect passing ships, earthquakes on the ocean bottom and whales calling to one another.

Scientists hope to send out an OSU research ship to take water samples, looking for evidence that sediment has been stirred up and chemicals that would indicate magma is moving up through the Juan de Fuca Plate, Dziak said.

The quakes have not followed the typical pattern of a major shock followed by a series of diminishing aftershocks, and few have been strong enough to be felt on shore.

The Earth's crust is made up of plates that rest on molten rock, which are rubbing together. When the molten rock, or magma, erupts through the crust, it creates volcanoes.

That can happen in the middle of a plate. When the plates lurch against each other, they create earthquakes along the edges.

In this case, the Juan de Fuca Plate is a small piece of crust being crushed between the Pacific Plate and North America, Dziak said.

Unusual Earthquakes Measured Off Oregon
~~~~~~~~~

Matthew 24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in place after place;

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »

Scientists don't know exactly what the earthquakes mean, but they could be the result of molten rock rumbling away from the recognized earthquake faults off Oregon

Thinking about this, the Juan de Fuca plate is off Oregon. With 600 earthquakes, this almost sounds like a volcanic eruption about to happen. The only problem with that is, there are no volcanoes on the Juan de Fuca plate. There are volcanoes though in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. It could be one of the following volcanoes are getting ready to erupt. But this is only an opinion.

They are, Mount Adams, Mount Baker, Mount Rainier, Glacier Peak, Mount St. Helens, in Washington. Mount Bailey, Belknap Shield Volcano, Crater Lake, also known as Mount Mazama,  Mount Hood, Mount Jefferson, Mount McLoughlin, Newberry Caldera, Mount Thielsen, Three Sisters, are in Oregon. Mount Shasta, Lassen Peak, are in California.

I think I named them all for y'all. Cheesy

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »

I subscribe to the USGS website that will email earthquakes to you. My current subscription is for earthquakes worldwide over 5.0. I have been getting these for about 3 years now and see many obvious patterns in places that get them on a regular basis in and around the ring of fire and elsewhere. But, for the past week my inbox has been overflowing like nothing I have ever seen. Does anyone else subscribe to these and see what I am talking about? After the past 3 years of watching these, it really does seem like there is some excessive moving and shaking going on! Here is the past few days.

04/17/2008      USGS ENS      2008-04-17 17:02:52 (Mb 5.5) SAIPAN REG., N. MARIANA ISLANDS 15.9 144.8

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 00:35:48 (Mw 6.2) TONGA -18.7 -175.7

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 19:19:34 (Mw 5.7) NEAR WEST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 39.0 139.9

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 08:11:32 (Mb 5.Cool MOLUCCA SEA 0.8 126.1

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 05:54:35 (M 6.6)  ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS. 51.0 -179.9

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 05:54:23 (Mw 6.5) ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS. 51.9 -179.1    

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 05:54:35 (Ml 5.9) ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS. 51.7 -177.2

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-16 00:35:48 (Mb 5.5) TONGA -18.7 -175.7

04/16/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-15 22:59:54 (Mw 6.3) ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS. 52.0 -179.4    

04/15/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-15 17:25:01 (Mb 5.5) FIJI REGION -18.6 -176.1

04/15/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-15 03:03:10 (Mw 6.1) NEAR COAST OF GUATEMALA 13.7 -90.6

04/14/2008      USGS ENS      2008-04-14 09:45:22 (Mb 6.0) SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION -56.0 -28.2     

04/14/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-11 16:35:58 (Mw 5.9) LOYALTY ISLANDS -20.4 168.9

04/14/2008     USGS ENS     2008-04-12 08:50:16 (Mw 5.5) MID-INDIAN RIDGE -14.9 67.2

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the