Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Instant Monk!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Instant Monk!  (Read 2257 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2004, 06:40:48 PM »

http://prayerfoundation.org/become_a_monk.htm

This struck me as humorous...I didn't realize that people could become Monks online...is this a "sign of the times"?  Cheesy

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 06:53:18 PM »

Yeah, no kidding!!!

Well, I guess if you can become an ordained minister online, or even a born again christian online, you can become a monk...

still trying to figure out who'd want to?

Grin

†† Guided by God ††
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »

I think its quite sweet really.

Actually there has been something of a flourising in the idea of monasticism lately - or at least in the UK. Not enough to have people go off and become nuns or monks, but the idea is attractive to people. Probably because monasteries are traditionally (or considered to be) in pretty areas of the countryside.

The online things are barely-disguised scams, mostly. Particularly the "free" ones. They always say buy this, buy that, buy a certificate, a book, whatever.  Grin No such thing as a free lunch.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 02:50:52 PM »

What a joke Angry

Leave it to the Protestants Roll Eyes “That’s right be a monk, only
without all the sacrifice and dedications that monks a monk a monk” Roll Eyes

"The Knights of Prayer ™ Monastic Order) is the first of all Christian monastic orders to ever give full monk status to non-resident lay persons (Ordinary Christians as Monks). It is also the first to give full monk status to women. And one of the first to give full monk status to married persons."

I think John Micheal Tablot might disagree with that. Roll Eyes

It is things like these that make me pray for nuclear holocaust on the next 2 minutes.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 05:17:24 PM »

hmmm...well why not...I was thinking of becoming an online chef

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 12:49:51 AM »

Yeah, and I can the 1st Church of the Sacred Herb online! Grin

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 09:43:50 AM »

What a joke Angry

Leave it to the Protestants Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes

Oh yeah, we just don't like the Catholic bashing

Roll Eyes

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »

I would feel fine if someone started bashing the catholic for something they actually did or believed. I’m fine with debate and argument and Denominational bias, as long as it is based in truth, and not lies and superstition. Sad

sfcross

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:29:30 PM »

I came across the "The Knights of Prayer ™ Monastic Order" site while searching for some information that I had read in a book. At first I thought that the site was a joke. What I have done since then, is explored, on other sites, about the history of monastic traditions through the ages. I have also looked even more in Scripture, which is not a bad thing I think.

Ordained minister, Bible Study, Christian Forums, information about all sorts of things, that are available online.

I have even discovered that you can compete distance learning things towards a wide spectrum of educational goals. At one time you could only do things like that in person, then there were correspondance courses. Where will it end?

Look at the number of online Church groups out there that actually ask for donations. And then of course I've noticed that when I go to Church I'm hit up for tithes and offerings, this is even mentioned in the Bible.

I wonder what the Scriptures say about any kind of bashing of beliefs?

"It is things like these that make me pray for nuclear holocaust on the next 2 minutes." ? I pray that I never be led to something as dark as that, even in jest. I much prefer to leave those kinds of things in the Lords' hands.

There are many things available to us in the world today, some good, some bad. I pray that the Lord will lead me to know which is which and that the Lord will continue to bless me with his grace and his guidance.

Personally, I am glad to have come across the site under discussion. I believe that it has led me to pray even more than I was.

I know people who believe that I have really "lost it" when I tell them that I believe in the power of prayer. I also know that the power of prayer and the Lord nudgeing me, that my marriage has been restored. I had no knowledge of the people who were praying for me before that restoration or that they were praying, I just know that it was a result of those prayers that I came back from a very dark place, praise the Lord.  

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »

Sure, "Instant Monk" is a scam, but:

I'm not sure Protestants did themselves a favor by rejecting monasticism entirely. Undecided

There are a lot of good points about it - maybe not as a lifelong vocation, but for a period of time.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 12:51:16 AM »

The Bible tells us that it is commendable to live a life such as the Monks do but that it is not for everyone. We are to live our lives according to the plan that God has for each us individually.

1Co 7:7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1Co 7:8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 11:35:47 AM »

I don't agree with the "Instant Monk's" reason for becoming a Lady Monk. Its just not a very good reason. They could have picked a better reason. The scripture does say that "in Christ there is neither male nor female", but that does not mean that the offices of the Church are literally genderless. There are still husbands and wives and widows and fathers, to whom the apostles gave special instruction.

"The sum of Thy word is truth," not just little scraps here and there.  Undecided

Would I have to be called a monkette? Or, to use another feminine term, a monkie? (Wait! There must be separation of Church and State - I don't want any of the State's religion! No monkies!)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 11:47:07 AM »

Or, to use another feminine term, a monkie?

Sounds like the theory of evolution in reverse. 

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »

The Bible tells us that it is commendable to live a life such as the Monks do but that it is not for everyone. We are to live our lives according to the plan that God has for each us individually.

1Co 7:7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1Co 7:8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

Also, in Matthew 19:11-12, Jesus speaks of several kinds of "eunuchs" after his disciples said, "It is good not to marry". Not all can accept a celibate lifestyle, but only those "to whom it has been given". The desire to remain single is a gift from God; I was told this by a dear (happily-married) woman in my church, and I later found Matthew 19:11-12 for myself.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »

Sounds like the theory of evolution in reverse. 
I though the Monkees were a band, back in the 60's. Huh

Or do you mean this guy.........

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the