Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Quit Smoking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quit Smoking  (Read 2170 times)
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2004, 08:05:27 PM »

Grin  I'm trying to quit smoking!  Which I've done before but I'm not that good at staying quit.  I'll need prayer!   Grin

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:24:26 PM »

Sure! We'll be praying for you. I know a friend who use to smoke. The way he avoided them was each time he saw them...he'd be reminded on how many health problems it caused. He'd get angry at the site of one and throw it away.

When you see a cigarette you should try relating those to the negative aspects of cigarettes. For instance, you can look up real photos of the lungs of smokers who have died from smoking. Then remind yourself of that when you see a cigarette. With that technique for yourself and our prayers to God, I'm sure you can stay away from cigarettes for the rest of your life!
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:47:50 PM »

Now why would you want to go and do a thing like that!? Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
LMarsh

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 02:54:11 PM »

Hi Candace,
I can't imagine being addicted to Cigarettes.  Besides the mental addiction...your body is actually physically craving the nicotine.  
I am going through hmmm a similar addiction.  It is my third day of being on a diet!  My first one and I'm 33 years old.  I am definitely addicted to food.  I'm not huge....Just about 40 lbs overweight but mentally it takes over alot of my though processes.  So...I started slimfast.  The first day was well awful.  I still thought about food all day.  And what I couldn't eat.  I was looking at my kids lunches and just wanted a slice of bread.  MMMM carbs!
Anywho...it's my third day and with prayer and just denying my FLESH....I am not even thinking about food AT ALL!
I'll let you know how its going  and please let me know how you are doing.  I am doing this for my health as well.  As I have a condition called SVT and my weight was affecting my heart and I was becoming almost hypoglycemic because of my diet and weight.

God Bless...Praying for you,
LMarsh
jive4005

God has your back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »

CC... I'm in the gap with you, trusting and believing. You can do ALL THINGS in Christ Jesus! Amen

Deke

Are you really living the Christian life?
jive4005@hotmail.com
joidevivre

Jesus says "come to me and I will give you rest"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 11:34:06 AM »

Having been there - done that - I could not quit until my reason for quitting was much stronger than my reason for continuing.  

I asked the Lord to give me his perspective on it - he told me that it was another god (idol) in my life - that I went to that cigarette for feeling peaceful instead of to his presence and His words of comfort which have so wonderfully been preserved for years.   That he would be there for me if I would just breathe deeply  of His Spirit instead of that cigarette.  

J.

Joidevivre in Christ
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 12:28:28 AM »

With a beautiful name like Candice Cavalier, I've a difficult time imagining you're a smoker.

Just throw any residual "gaspers" in your house away--or take the whole pack out in the back yard, and hold a "ceremonial burning".

That should appease the tobacco gods for good.

I remember an episode about an alcoholic in the TV crime drama, Hawaii Five-O.  At the end it showed him down on the beach, throwing the wiskey bottle into the sea.

Just throw them away.

Im a Mormon

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 06:13:14 PM »

I can TOTALLY relate!! I smoked on and off from age 16 to 20 BLECK!!! I STILL to this VERY DAY ask myself WHY did I EVER start in the first place? The ONLY reason was to impress an older guy when I was 16 and young and STUPID!!!!  Cry  Oh well!! The IMPORTANT thing is, I have been TOTALLY 100% FREE of the addiction for 14 years now!!!! YEA!!!  Grin  It is VERY HARD to quit for GOOD!!! Anyway, I will be praying for your success!!! With the LORD, ALL THINGS are possible!! Please keep us posted on your progress!!!

God Bless!!!  Wink
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »

I stopped smoking many years ago, it will get hard but with the help of God, you can do it.
On a side note, there are times when people do have to smoke. Parkinson diease the smoking helps relieve the shaking and spasms.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 11:11:47 PM »

On a side note, there are times when people do have to smoke. Parkinson diease the smoking helps relieve the shaking and spasms.

No joke, it does wonders for ADD, too! See, God knew what he was doing. Everything has a place and a purpose.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 12:04:46 AM »

No joke, it does wonders for ADD, too! See, God knew what he was doing. Everything has a place and a purpose.
As long as it isn't abused. :eek:
Which is what happens too often.  Cry

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 01:50:08 AM »

Yes, definitely!

EB

Kindness is what deaf can hear and blind can read.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 09:02:34 AM »

Smiley Let's each ask Father-God, in His kindness, to lead us to repentance of anything in our lives that is not completely harmonious with the service and purposes of Jesus our Lord.

Let's live fully in Christ, with no part of our life 'hanging out' that just can't be held within His pure life.  If something simply needs to change before it becomes harmonious with him, let's let it change -- ask Him to change it, and if there is anything that needs to be blown, washed or burned away, let it be done!

Blessings!

Kindness is what deaf can hear and blind can read.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 03:46:48 PM »

I stopped smoking many years ago, it will get hard but with the help of God, you can do it.
I did not know that...my grandfather has Parkinsons, although it hasn't gotten to the point where he cannot suck, swallow, etc. I can't imagine him trying to light a cigarette, though!!! He'd probably end up setting his lap on fire!  Grin (I can say that, 'cause I know he'd laugh.)

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »

Let's live fully in Christ, with no part of our life 'hanging out' that just can't be held within His pure life.  If something simply needs to change before it becomes harmonious with him, let's let it change -- ask Him to change it, and if there is anything that needs to be blown, washed or burned away, let it be done!

Blessings!
What a wonderful reminder; there are so many poor habits that we can easily fall into, that do not bring glory to God.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the