Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:32:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286839 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Was it right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was it right?  (Read 1392 times)
LeeH

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2004, 06:01:27 PM »

Should true christians have watched the passion of Christ?
Warrior For Christ
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 06:09:54 PM »

Should true christians have watched the passion of Christ?

I would say no.
LeeH

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 06:17:16 PM »

Why? On what theory do you base that?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 11:05:19 PM »

Personally, I call it a HOLY movie. The reports are overwhelming that God is being glorified because of it.

aw
smartinez1984

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 08:45:58 AM »

I would say no.

Interesting, albeit vague, answer. Why not? I saw it and will be seeing it again. As a Christian, I would recommend it and HAVE been recommending it to all, Christians  & non-Christians alike. On what basis should I quit dooig so?

-Samson
Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 01:31:52 PM »

I saw the movie, and it was very powerful witness to the verse in Isaiah about how the Lord's visage was marred more than any other man's, but I can understand concerns about imagery possibly taking something from instead of adding to the Lord's sacrifice for us.
I wonder myself about us having graven images shown to us in modern the fashion of 60 frame per second (is that the frame rate?), which would include all movies and TV.
Now I just wonder and do not condemn or I'd be condemning myself. Other opinions?

Isaiah 52:14  As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:

Exodus 20:4  Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 01:34:21 PM by Raphu » Logged

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
jenn

God is Love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 09:20:21 PM »

its really up to you

for the most part its biblical.

If we claim to be without sin, we decieve ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness...
But  if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-Jesus Christ, the Righteous
darby

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 11:20:09 AM »

I would recommend the movie, but it isn't necessary or anything to see it.  Our perceptions can become dulled when we hear about the same thing over and over, and this movie sort of reminds you of how terrible crucifixions really were.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 02:58:17 PM »

Mel Gibson presented the movie to the public as a Catholic movie based on the Eucharist [mass], the 14 stations of the cross, and is Marion in theology [Mary as "Queen of Heaven", the "Eternal Virgin", and "Mother of God"].

The scenes in the movie come from the visions, apparitions, and prayers of 3 mystic nuns - Anne Catherine Emmerich, St Bridget [Brigitta of Sweden] and Mary of Agreda.

The movie is not based on Scripture, but on these visions and on Catholic theology.  Jesus said that no good fruit could come from an evil or corrupt tree.  The Jesus of this movie is crucified over and over again by the celebration of the mass.

Is this the same Jesus that is in the Bible?

check out the movie from a Scriptural perspective:

http://www.seekgod.ca/index.htm

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 06:01:15 PM »

My husband and I saw The Passion because it was so highly encouraged by many well know Evangelical Christians.
Although we knew that Mel is a Catholic, we did not expect to see that much Catholicism in the movie.

My husband grew up Catholic and when we go visit his family, we usually attend mass with them (just as they attend our Protestant church when they come to visit us.)
I have been to mass probably 35-40 times over the last 9 years of our marriage.

I learned more about Catholicism in The Passion than I did in all those times that I attended mass.
Knowing the deceptions in the Catholic church, it alarms me that well-known Evangelicals, who are supposedly very well educated in doctrinal issues, so freely promoted the movie.

I do not feel that The Passion is Biblically accurate, however, I do not think that Christians are good or bad based on their decision to see or not see this movie.
After all, it's just a movie.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 06:27:53 PM »

justme,

I find it troubling however; that churches all over bought out entire time blocks at theatres to watch the movie and many others gave away 1000's of tickets.  The movie was billed as an evangelistic tool - the best in 2000 years [must have forgotten the Bible  Undecided].   Plus the Christian Leaders were promoting it and urging people to go see it.  Many Christians have said that if you don't go to see it, you are not a Christian.

Now doesn't that seem odd?  It is a hollywood production, plus it's loaded with mysticism and divination.  Yet, Christians find it perfectly fine to bring unbelievers to a movie to tell them about Jesus. Just when you think you've seen it all . . .  Huh Roll Eyes Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:29:46 PM by MalkyEL » Logged

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 06:33:27 PM »

Malky- I agree with what you've said. However, I do not think that one is a good or bad Christian based on their decision to see or not see a movie.

What gets me is how many Christians claiming this movie brought them closer to God. It's just a movie!

We must realize that the Book is always better than the movie. However, in this case the movie wasn't that closely based on the Book.

I'm curious to see where Mel will go from here?
Will he continue down this path?
Or will he go back to making movies where he is swearing, adultering, etc?

Can't invent His deity.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 06:39:44 PM »

Well . . . . money talks as they say and so far the movie has grossed over 500 mil.  There is already talk of a sequel and you can bet that the Christian community will embrace it fully.  Mel has become the newest "apostle of the gospel" - so much for discernment  . . . Roll Eyes   Cry

His_child

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 10:35:30 PM »

Well . . . . money talks as they say and so far the movie has grossed over 500 mil.  There is already talk of a sequel and you can bet that the Christian community will embrace it fully.  Mel has become the newest "apostle of the gospel" - so much for discernment  . . . Roll Eyes   Cry

Sad, but true.

I have been wondering if Evangelical's acceptance of The Passion and movies like this has anything to do with the RCC's envolvment with the World Council of Churches?

Can't invent His deity.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 12:13:24 AM »

Absolutely - at the risk of sounding out in left field - the church has been prepped to become part of this for a long time.  The ground work has been laid.  Look at all the major Christian orginizations involved in CNP and linked with Moon and accepting monies from him - he has proclaimed himself to be Jesus Christ.  Very sad situation all around, and Christians are very unknowledgeable about it all and seemingly do not care.  

When you tell people and document that Leaders like Billy Graham are 33rd degree masons, you are accused of all manner of things.  Christians do not want to accept the fact that the church is in deep trouble and headed for a one world religion faster than a speeding bullet.  The Passion is just a precursor for total acceptance of all religions - this is what Mel is preaching - all roads lead to heaven, but catholics have a better chance than anyone else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:17:04 AM by MalkyEL » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the