Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Passion scene question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Passion scene question  (Read 2625 times)
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2004, 03:52:45 AM »

Did anybody find out why the gold goblets (cups) were hanging of Christ's and the thieves crosses in the Passion of the Christ?
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 11:34:58 AM »

Hmm, I didn't notice that. Interesting.

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 09:38:05 AM »

I didn't notice that either.  Huh

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:42:32 PM »

Because Mel is Catholic and he made the movie as a representation of the Catholic Eucharist or mass.  This Catholic viewpoint included the 14 stations of the cross which he followed pretty accurately in the movie also.

Does anyone know where Mel got his "scenes" from in the movie - like the girl who gave Jesus her head covering to wipe the blood off His face?  Or the scene where Claudias [Pilate's wife] gives towels to the two Mary's to wipe up Jesus blood?  Or the scourging scene? or the crucifixion? or the big tear drop?

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 02:35:42 AM »

He got it  from the writings of Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824) Catholic Mystic, Stigmatist, Visionary, and Prophet, NOT from the Bible.

http://www.emmerich1.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm

But I can't find where he got that Cup thing from.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 04:24:45 PM »

Amazing, isn't it, that Mel used visionaries for creative "lies...sence"?

Besides Emmerick, he also gathered more "fantasy" from St Bridget [Brigitta from Sweden] and Mary of Agreda, also mystic nuns.  He prayed the prayers of St Bridget for years - which are tremendously gory and bloody, and supposedly from Jesus, complete with promises of rewards if they were prayed every day for a year.  

The 15 prayers of St Bidget, as given by "Jesus", were to tally up the amount of wounds that Jesus supposedly incurred - over 5,000.  Funny thing is, Emmerich also received the number of wounds from "Jesus" and it was a different amount.  Emmerich also had apparitions of Mary and John the Baptist.

The question is, will God bless a movie that uses divination and mysticism to show what Jesus supposedly went through.  It has the appearance of a different gospel than what the Bible teaches.

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:23:07 PM »

Do you have any links? I’d love to share this stuff with others.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 07:28:42 PM »

creationist, oh yeah - check out this web site - several articles on the passion all documented with tons of links

http://seekgod.ca/

check out the other articles also, there must be 400 or so on this site - it's massive and deals with all facets of the christian, messianic, and cultish systems - hit research at the top - after you've looked at the movie stuff.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 04:54:03 AM »

I finally found the answer. If you will watch one of the thieves, he will have a small purse around his neck. Apparently, it was costmary to hang what they stole, or a least some of it, with them on the cross. Now we know the rest of the story. Smiley

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 06:41:19 AM »

Did Christ and the 2 thieves all steal a gold goblet?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 01:12:07 PM »

I sources I talked to only saw one golden goblet hanging. I'm going to wait till it comes out on DVD and check out that part again to see.

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 01:47:21 PM »

Tibby,

Thanx for the info  Cool  Do you have a reference or a link for the information of this practice?  And are you saying that the goblet was something that was stolen so they hung it on the cross of the thief?

During the crux scene, there was more than one goblet - but the scenes flash by quickly and you have no point of reference as to which cross they are hanging from.  The end result is only one shown, but I saw more than that and definitely one on the cross of "Jesus" at one point.

Because Mel, as a Catholic Traditionist [pre vatican II beliefs], says that the movie is the eucharist being played out and that the crux is actually the Catholic mass, my opinion is that the goblets are symbolic of this.  In other words, Catholics believe that in the taking of the mass you are eating and drinking the blood and flesh of Jesus - for real  eating and drinking it   Lips Sealed  - it is done supernatuarally and therefore, Jesus is being sacrificed over and over with each mass.  This is called transubstantiation.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »

No link, I came across this info by word of mouth.

That could be it, it could be symbloic of the Lord Supper, but we still run into the problem of why would he hang them on all 3 crosses.

Again, I'll wait till I get it on DVD, watch it in slow-mo, and maybe even see if the directors commentary has something to say about it.

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 02:47:51 PM »

Tibby,

Thanx for the info - do you have a director's commentary or does one come with the DVD?

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 03:54:17 PM »

I'm sure the DVD will have at least 1, if not more. Most of these DVDs come with "over 4 hours of special features" on top of that, I'm sure there will be some answer for it somewhere on the disk!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the