Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Taking up our crosses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taking up our crosses  (Read 1683 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »

Something I was thinking about today: what rules our decisionmaking from day to day? THe instant answer is the word of God, but really, after careful analysis, what truly rules our hearts? How do we make choices about what we love, and what we hate? Do we feel a sweetness at the word faithfully preached, even if it means there's something we need to change in our lives? Is the Lord's word sweet to us, or only sweet if we are free to keep the verses we like and ignore those we don't like? Do we love the word only if it's on our terms, according to the translation we like, filtering those precious verses through the sieve of our personal desires?

Something I was thinking about today-the state of the Christian church. May our churches never require the cleansing that would emperil our religious and political freedoms.

But, are we reaching a point where it's hard to tell who is Christian and who is not? Will those who love the truth be willing to stand up for it, even if it means the frowns, scorn, and contempt of the world? Do we put selfish desires ahead of the mandate to make disciples of all men? Or only those men who fall into the boundaries of our personal interests? When we are to make disciples of all men, does that include professing believers?

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 06:38:28 AM »

Will those who love the truth be willing to stand up for it, even if it means the frowns, scorn, and contempt of the world?

Yes, and further even if it means the frowns, scorn, and contempt of the church.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 06:25:10 PM »

Very true, and well-said.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:26 PM »

what rules our decisionmaking from day to day?
Day to day I can say Jesus - however, I wish I could say minute to minute.

Do we feel a sweetness at the word faithfully preached, even if it means there's something we need to change in our lives?
Not a Sunday worship goes by that I don't cry - but I often lose that feeling of total submission on Monday morning.

Is the Lord's word sweet to us, or only sweet if we are free to keep the verses we like and ignore those we don't like?
... selective observance, a sin I believe everyone of us is guilty of...

May our churches never require the cleansing that would emperil our religious and political freedoms.
That may be the only thing that will wake us up...

Will those who love the truth be willing to stand up for it, even if it means the frowns, scorn, and contempt of the world?
The true test.  Jesus said we would face it.

When we are to make disciples of all men, does that include professing believers?
I believe the day will come when all believers will not have a choice - it will be carry the cross or die forever.

Thanks Whitehorse.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:33:16 PM »

Very good points, JN. And I think we're at that point now. Pick up our crosses, or die forever. And I think there's a postmodern edge in the thinking of many Christians, that preaches andspreads the notion of painless Christianity. A sleepy Christianity, that has nothing to do with what's in the Bible.

Thank you for your refreshing post.

Love in Christ,
Whitehorse

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 08:28:23 AM »

But, are we reaching a point where it's hard to tell who is Christian and who is not? Will those who love the truth be willing to stand up for it, even if it means the frowns, scorn, and contempt of the world? Do we put selfish desires ahead of the mandate to make disciples of all men? Or only those men who fall into the boundaries of our personal interests? When we are to make disciples of all men, does that include professing believers?

Apparently we set our cross down if it offends someone.  Roll Eyes

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »

Apparently we set our cross down if it offends someone.  Roll Eyes

And woe to them that do so.

Luke 9:62  And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »

And woe to them that do so.

Smiley

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 01:09:09 PM »

I think there's a postmodern edge in the thinking of many Christians, that preaches and spreads the notion of painless Christianity. A sleepy Christianity, that has nothing to do with what's in the Bible.

How sad but true!  Sad

Joe 2:12  Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye [even] to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

Joe 3:9  Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:

Mat 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mat 10:38  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Luk 14:27  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Phi 3:18  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, [that they are] the enemies of the cross of Christ:

Phi 3:12  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Phi 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Heb 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God

1Pe 1:17  And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning [here] in fear:

Rev 22:14  Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Rev 22:12  And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
LMarsh

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 11:53:50 AM »

I just had a talk with my 2 oldest children about this verse.  (Yesterday in fact).  We talked about what it means to take up our cross for Jesus everyday.  I explained to them that just by being in school or me being home all day.  We all can take up our crosses every minute of the day.

By choosing right over wrong even when we don't want to.  (Laughing at someone in school whose being a fool during class and giving the teacher a hard time vs. not laughing and telling them later it was the wrong thing to do).
The right thing is sometimes not the easiest thing to do.  If we are lazy...we can sometimes choose the wrong thing because its the easy choice.

I know I battle just mentally somedays to take up the cross and follow Jesus....let alone what we all do physically for ourselves and others.

Sleepy Christianity.  How apropo.  Everyone has those days.  But as we read God's word daily....He does use us.  His word never comes back empty.  

I'm so thankful he chose me to know our Saviour and blessed with all that he's given me.  All the bad things that have happened....He changes to good (down the road) Cheesy.

I'm so thankful he led me to you all as well.  It truly is a rich reward to be able to read other Christian brother and sisters posts.

Take up your cross!
LMarsh

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the