Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Devotionals By J.R. Miller, 1895
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Devotionals By J.R. Miller, 1895  (Read 37802 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

September 9.

"I waited patiently for the Lord—and He turned to me and heard my cry for help." Psalm 40:1

There come times in everyone's life, when no exertion of his own can do anything, and when no human power can help. Then he should commit all to God, and wait for him. And it is no ignorant confidence that we may have at such times; for our Father rules this world, and has a plan for each life. We can safely trust him to bring aid, deliverance, or light at the right time.

There are occasions when a patient waiting is our highest duty. When we are working for souls—we must present the truth, and then commit the result to God. Time is necessary for some spiritual processes, and the result cannot come immediately. In prayer we sometimes have to wait for the answer, even to wait long—but we should never be impatient.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »

September 10.

"What do you see now?" he asked. I answered, "I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl of oil on top of it. Around the bowl are seven lamps, each one having seven spouts with wicks." Zechariah 4:2

A lampstand suggests light. Every Christian should be a light-bearer. God wants us to shine. The world is dark, and we are to pour light into its darkness. Our character must shine. That means, to put it very simply, that we must be holy.

To be holy, is to be first pure in heart. A little child said she liked best of all the beatitudes, the one about a pure heart, because if she had that blessing she would have all the others too. A pure, holy, loving heart—will make a life shine. "God is love," and we are like God just so far as we are loving. That means love to God first, and then love to all men. We are therefore to be obedient, trustful, and reverent toward God—and gentle, unselfish, patient, thoughtful, kindly and helpful toward men.

We will find that it is not always easy, to shine with love's light. The candle wastes, burns itself up, in shining. So does life. It costs to be unselfish, patient, thoughtful, and useful. We have to be forgiving, to bear injuries sweetly, to deny ourselves and make personal sacrifices, continually, in order to be gentle, patient, and kind when others are crude to us. It costs to shine; nevertheless we are to shine. Christ gave his blessed life—to be consumed on the candlestick of divine love, to light the world.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »

September 11.

"Be strong, all you people of the land, and work; for I am with you,' declares the Lord Almighty." Haggai 2:4

There are many times in most people's lives, when this fragment of a lesson ought to be inspiring and helpful. Men are called to do some work for God, and their resources of strength appear to be altogether inadequate. They look at the small beginning or the unpromising condition, and say they never can do the work, nor achieve the result expected. Nearly all beginnings of good things, are small. The Christian church began with two followers. Missionary efforts have all had a most unpromising start.

In our individual lives the same thing is true. It does not seem to us that we can ever accomplish anything worthy, with our feeble strength. But the Word of God rings out: "Be strong, and work; for I am with you." God never gives us a duty, but that he means to help us with his presence and strength, so that we need not fail in it. If we lose heart, and, let our hands hang down in idleness, nothing will come of the little beginning, and God's purpose will fail in our hands through our own lack of earnestness. But if we do our whole duty, the end will be blessing and success.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »

September 12.

"The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you!" Zechariah 3:2

The Lord is the friend of his people, and will not stand by inactive when Satan is plotting against any of them. He is the defender, especially of the defenseless. This characteristic of the divine love, is revealed in all parts of the Scriptures. God is the God of the weak. In the Mosaic laws, definite provision was made for the widow and the orphan. Something was to be left for them when the harvests were gathered. The poor were put under special protection, to shield them from the oppression of the rich and the strong. God's thought for the poor appeared amid even the detailed laws given for common life.

Every child of God is an object of peculiar divine care. The weakest of his children is safe in his keeping, even amid the greatest dangers. No harm can come to any of them, while nestling in his bosom. We may safely leave our defending in the Lord's hands, when Satan assails us, and when anyone would do us harm.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord!" Romans 8:38-39

"I give them eternal life, and they will never perish—ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand!" John 10:28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »

September 13.

"The child sat on her lap until noon and then died."
        "Did I ask you for a son, my lord?" she said.
            2 Kings 4:20, 28

The woman's thought seems to have been, "It would have been better had I remained as I was, with no voice of love in my home, my heart unfilled with affection, than that I should know and experience the gladness of motherhood for this brief time, and then be robbed of the joy." No doubt similar thoughts ofttimes come to those who are bereft of friends. In their deep grief, it seems to them that it would have been better if they had never had their friends at all—than to have had them a little while, to have learned to love them so, and to find such blessing in them—and then to lose them!

But Tennyson's word is far more true:
        'Tis better to have loved and lost,
        Than never to have loved at all.

Loving itself blesses us. It opens our heart and enriches our life. It teaches us the true meaning of life; for to live truly—is to love.

The taking away of our dear one—does not rob us of the blessings which loving has wrought in us. These we keep forever, though the friend is with us no more. Even if this child had not been restored to the mother in this world, she would still have kept forever the impressions and the influences which the child in its brief, beautiful years had left upon her life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »

September 14.

"That they may be ever seeing—but never perceiving,
        and ever hearing—but never understanding" Mark 4:12

It is a mistake not to use one's eyes to see things that are to be seen. The result is that in the end—one has no eyes with which to see. Refusing to listen to the words of God that are spoken in gentleness and love, results in the loss of the power to hear, so that in all God's universe of love, one shall hear no sweet sound; so that the very voices of tender mercy shall become screams of terror. Refusing to understand the things of God—leads to the dulling and deadening of the soul, so that at last one cannot understand—even if he would.

We should learn to keep all the gates of our soul open toward heaven. We should train ourselves to see whatever God would show us. Thus shall our eyes become able to see more and more beauty in God and in all his works. We should keep our ears intent to hear every Word that God speaks to us. We should strive to understand what God teaches us; for to those who seek, all hidden mysteries at length become clear.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2020, 10:23:14 AM »

September 15.

"Who touched Me? Jesus asked." Luke 8:45

The people were crowding against Jesus, and many people touched him; but there was one touch different from the others. There was a heart's cry in it, a pleading, a piteous supplication. It was a touch of faith, inspired by a deep sense of need. It was not an accidental touch, a mere touch of nearness; it was intentional.

This incident illustrates what is going on all the while, about Christ. We cannot move without pressing up against him. Sometimes in our heedlessness we jostle him rudely. But when among all earth's millions, one person intentionally reaches out a hand to feel after Christ, to touch him with a purpose, to seek for some blessing, to crave some help—Jesus instantly knows the pressure of that touch, and turns to answer it. He knows when any heart wants him, no matter how obscure the person, how poor, how hidden away in the crowd. Blessing came that day to none in that crowd, so far as we know—except to this poor, sick woman, who touched Christ's clothes. It came to her, because she had a burden on her heart—and sought Christ's help.

So in every company, there are some who are close, and yet receive no blessing, because there is no faith in their touching. Then there are those who are no nearer—but who reach out their hands in faith, and touch Christ's clothes, and go away helped, comforted.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2020, 10:27:38 AM »

September 16.

"Blessed are you who are poor, because the kingdom of God is yours!" Luke 6:20

The blessed ones of the Bible, are not those whom this world considers happy. Indeed, in the opinion of worldlings, those whom Christ calls blessed, have a dreary life. He says the meek are blessed, the poor in spirit, the pure in heart, the peacemakers, those who mourn, and those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake. It would be hard to convince the man of this world—that these are the really blessed ones. But that is the way it appears to the eyes that look down from heaven—and that is the standard of life by which we must be measured in the divine judgment.

It is assuring to hear Jesus himself speak beatitudes for men. He knew who really are the blessed. He knew the difference between the earthly ideals of happiness, and the heavenly ideals. We may safely trust his estimates, and know that they are right. We know, too, that he came into this world to make blessedness possible for men who were lost in sin. On the cross he died to make men happy. It is pleasant to remember, too, that the last glimpse this world had of Jesus—he was in the attitude of blessing men. He had his hands stretched out over his disciples when he began to ascend. Ever since that moment, blessings have been raining down from those pierced hands upon a sorrowing earth. Those who do not receive blessings shut their hearts against them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »

September 17.

"When the Lord saw her, His heart went out to her and He said, Don't cry!" Luke 7:13

A sorrow in a home sends out a wave of tender feeling which impresses a wide community. While the death-crape hangs on a door, almost everyone of the great throng of passers-by is made at least for the moment, a little more thoughtful. Even strangers going by feel the influence, and their hearts are warmed by it. Whatever thus touches men with a gentler mood, though but transiently, becomes a blessing in the world. There is a humanizing influence in sympathy. It makes men more tolerant of each other, more patient with each other's faults, more loving and thoughtful. That which is changing the world these days from cruelty and savageness, into lovingness and brotherliness, is a sorrow—the sorrow of Calvary.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »

September 18.

"Then a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him." Luke 9:35

Many of the sweetest revealings of comfort, are spoken to God's children out of the clouds of sorrow. Many a Christian learns more about God in a brief season of trouble, than he has learned before in years of earthly prosperity. We would never see the stars—if the sun did not go down. We would never see the promises that gem the Bible pages, like stars in the sky—were there no darkening of the sky of human prosperity and joy. Out of our clouds, too, comes the Father's voice, saying, "This is my Son." It is Christ who comes even in the shadow, who for a time hides and darkens his face. HE is in the center of every cloud.

There is significance also, in the message from the cloud, "Listen to him!" We must learn to listen to Christ—and to him only. There are mysteries about Christianity, things hard to be understood—but we may safely wait for the solution of these, meanwhile doing sweetly and quietly the things that Christ bids us do. Hereafter, we shall know.

Rain comes out of clouds, and if there is no rain—all nature suffers. So out of sorrow's clouds—the rain falls, and our lives are enriched thereby.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »

September 19.

"Then He said to them all, If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me." Luke 9:23

The more important the position we occupy is, and the greater its responsibilities are—the more cares will it bring. The quiet calm is found in the low valley, not on the mountain-top. As we rise in life—our burdens increase. We need to learn how to carry our load cheerfully when it gets heavy. We cannot reach the higher places, and miss the steep climbing that leads to them. If we would gain the heights—we must consent to climb up the steep and rugged mountain. It was not a mere dream, which envisioned life to the patriarch as a ladder.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »

September 20.

"If you love Me—you will keep My commandments." John 14:15

Love is more than a mere sentiment; it is also a life. The proof of it must be in acts. Thus in one of his epistles this disciple of love writes: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him—how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:16-18

This same principle applies to our profession of love for Christ. It is not enough that we sing it in our hymns, say it in our prayers, or utter it in our creed; we must show it in our life! A fruit-tree proves its usefulness by bearing fruit in the season. The rose-bush puts forth beautiful roses. And when we claim to be Christ's friends—we must show it by doing what he bids us to do.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »

September 21.

"Yes, Lord—but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table!" Matthew 15:27

When Jesus spoke to the poor Gentile woman in the language of the time, as if she were but a 'dog'—she was not offended. She was willing to be as a dog under the Master's table. She was ready to grant to the Jews—the children's place. The position Jesus had assigned to her satisfied her. For the dogs under the table did not starve. The children were first served, and then the pieces of food which they let fall, belonged to the dogs. Even the crumbs from that table were enough for her. Thus her humility and also her faith were shown.

We should come to Christ with a deep sense of our unworthiness, ready to take the lowest place; and we should realize that even the crumbs of his grace and love are better than all the feasts of this world.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »

September 22.

"Follow my example—as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

"Be imitators of me—as I also am of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

One way in which God reveals himself to us, is through the lives of the godly and the saintly. Next to living in direct communion with him—is living with others who thus live with him. Converse with those who lie in Christ's bosom and who know the secret of the Lord, cannot but greatly enrich our own knowledge of divine things. Yet in these busy days we are quite in danger of losing almost altogether out of our lives, this rich means of grace. One has said: "Do not think it wasted time— to submit yourself to any influence which may bring upon you any noble feeling."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 19, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »

September 23.

"Do not be deceived: God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows—he will also reap" Galatians 6:7

People have loose notions about sin. They think they can go on through life in disobedience of God's commands, and defiance of all moral laws—and then, by a single act of penitence, in a moment, have all the consequences of their sinning wiped out, all the effects in their own nature of lifelong evil habits reversed, and their character changed into saintly beauty and fitness for the kingdom of heaven.

But the Bible does not teach this. Those who choose sin for their way in life—must eat sin's fruit. The fruit of trees drops off—but sin's fruits stay in the life and become part of it. One may sow common seeds, and others gather and eat the harvest; but the sinner must gather and eat the fruit of his own sowing.

We are not through with our life—as we live it. Every act, every word, every thought, every choice, is a seed which we drop. We go on carelessly, never dreaming that we shall ever again see our deeds. Then some day, we come upon an ugly plant growing somewhere, and we ask, "What is this?" Comes the answer, "I am one of your plants. You dropped the seed which grew into me." Our lives are the little garden plots, in which it is our privilege to drop seeds. We shall have to eat the fruits of the seeds of which we are planting these days.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the