Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:24:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286834 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why born again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why born again?  (Read 5508 times)
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:40:59 AM »

I believe one has to born again to enter into the kingdom of God. I know the conversation between the Lord Jesus and Nicodemus in John 3 is world famous.

But why, I mean, what is the "real reason", to be born again?

Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow! God has no partiality!!
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 12:58:37 AM »

I believe one has to born again to enter into the kingdom of God. I know the conversation between the Lord Jesus and Nicodemus in John 3 is world famous.

IMO the real reason is so one is able to understand what the Spirit is saying to them.  Without being born again, one only understands things of the world-------unable to comprehend "truth", hence, no entrance into the kingdom.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 01:36:19 AM »

IMO the real reason is so one is able to understand what the Spirit is saying to them.  Without being born again, one only understands things of the world-------unable to comprehend "truth", hence, no entrance into the kingdom.

Doesn't that just beg the question "why" again?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:48:54 AM »

Just about any answer to any question can again be followed with a "why".  OK, don't ask me why again! Wink

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 02:40:11 AM »

Just about any answer to any question can again be followed with a "why".  OK, don't ask me why again! Wink
Tell me about it. One of my year 8 students thinks "why?" is the cleverest response in the world to any instruction or information.

But I don't see why your reply takes us anywhere.  It doesn't seem any more self evident that understanding is dependent on rebirth than the original question of entry into the kingdom being dependent on it.

An answer like:
"Since we have to die to sin, and all that is not of God in us, then we need to be reborn into what is of God, ie Christ"  isn't a great answer, but at least it has some kind of logic to it.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 08:11:38 AM »

"what is the "real reason", to be born again?"

Romans 6:3.  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
 4.  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
 5.  For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
 6.  Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
 7.  For he that is dead is freed from sin.
 8.  Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9.  Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
 10.  For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
 11.  Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
 12.  Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
 13.  Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 08:19:17 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 12:55:46 AM »

Hmmm.... I thought there were few born-agains in this board!

Ollie, would you please explain the "reason" to be born again in the verses you quoted above (Rom. 6:3-13)?

Ebia, thanx.

I would appreciate some "explanation" rather than just quoting few Bible verses.

Thanks.

Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 02:02:50 PM »

Hello PhilMun....God bless you.

Since Adam and Eve, all of mankind has been 'born' with a sin nature. Our spirit has a nature of sin, because of our original parents....and, since God cannot dwell where there is sin, He had to give us a new spirit, for Him to live in. When He does this, this is being born again.

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you....." Ezekiel 36.26...."I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgements and do them." Ezekiel 36.27.
So, as you see, He first gives us a new spirit, and then He comes to live in that spirit. He is able to give us a new spirit because of the shed blood of Jesus the Christ.

If you ever wondered what the "new wine into a new wineskin" was about, this is it....we do not put new wine into an old wineskin, but into a new wineskin...see Matt. 9.17.

There is much more, but I hope this help a bit.
The Lord bless you....Roy.

PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 01:53:35 AM »

But Adam and Eve were "not born" but "created" as fully mature humans, right? And, created not with sinful nature but in God's image!

It right that WE are born in sin. So the question still needs clear answer......

Brother

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 06:06:35 AM »

You must be born again because Jesus Christ came and died for our sins so we could be made righteous by his blood.
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 08:09:36 PM »

But Adam and Eve were "not born" but "created" as fully mature humans, right? And, created not with sinful nature but in God's image!

It right that WE are born in sin. So the question still needs clear answer......

When Adam sinned his spirit "died" even though his life span was 930 years before he died physically. God had said (Gen.2:17) "...in the day that thou eatest thereof, THOU SHALT SURELY DIE".  This was spiritual death, and since then, all men are born spiritually dead -- "DEAD IN TRESPASSES AND SINS" (Eph. 2:1,5).

Through the new birth or "regeneration", our spirits (which only can commune with God and know the things of the Spirit -- 1 Cor. 2:9-16) are made alive -- "quickened" -- by the Holy Spirit through the new birth, while our minds are "renewed" so that they can understand spiritual things:

"And you hath He QUICKENED, who were dead in trespasses and sins... Even when we were dead in sins, HATH QUICKENED US TOGETHER WITH CHRIST (by grace ye are saved)... Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, BY THE WASHING OF REGENERATION AND THE RENEWING OF THE HOLY GHOST..." (Eph.2:1,5; Tit. 3:5).

It is only the one who is "born again", "born from above" "born of God" who can see God and know God since he or she becomes a child of God (Jn. 1:12,13). Those who are "sons of God" have eternal life, and therefore one needs the new birth to have God dwelling within and posses the gift of eternal life.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 05:39:36 AM »

Thank you SOWER. I appreciate it.

What is the difference between DEATH OF THE SPIRIT and SPIRITUAL DEATH? Could you please explain with few Scriptural references?

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 02:13:23 PM »

Thank you SOWER. I appreciate it.

What is the difference between DEATH OF THE SPIRIT and SPIRITUAL DEATH? Could you please explain with few Scriptural references?

"Death" means separation. Physical death is when the soul and spirit are separated from the body, so that when the body goes into the grave, the soul and spirit depart another place.

There is n such term as "death of the spirit" since "spiritual death" means the same thing and is used to denote the separation of an individual from God. When Scripture says we were "DEAD in our trespasses and sins" it is speaking of sinners (1) separated from God, lost, and destined for Hell without Christ (2) devoid of the Holy Spirit (3) unable to communicate with God or do His will (4) unable to comprehend spiritual things.  There are too many Scriptures to cover all this, but the ones I have provided cover "spiritual death".  When Scripture speaks of "the second death" that term denotes eternal "spiritual death" since the sould is spearated from God eternally (Rev 20).

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 10:47:27 PM »

Question:

Answer:
To leave the OLD life behind, and begin again with a NEW life with Jesus Christ going with us every day, everywhere we go, ruling our thoughts and our actions.  Allowing Jesus to direct who we are and what we do.

Yep - It is that simple.   Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

We will be born again when we are raised from the dead into immortality

This is false, if anyone wants to know the truth of this matter, read what the Lord has to say about this, not someohne who has an opinion.

Especially one who denies the diety of Jesus.

Jesus said;

Jhn 3
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Even the apostles speaks concerning the new birth;

1 Pet 1
22  Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23  Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Jhn 1
10  He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11  He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And it is not something which will happen in the future, at all, according to Jesus.

Jhn 5
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation;
but is passed from death unto life.[/b][/color]
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

If one possess the Holy Spirit presently, in this life, he is a Son of the Living God, and belongs to Jesus, presently.

Do not be decieved, if you do not posses His Spirit you do not belong to Him. (Rom 8:9-11)

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, (in this present life)they are the sons of God, according to Rom 8:14.

Blessings,

Petro

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the