Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Mark 14:51-52
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark 14:51-52  (Read 3279 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2004, 08:10:19 PM »

Mark 14:
51   And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
52   And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

What is the significance of these two verses?  They don't seem to fit in at all with preceding verses - and certainly not with following verses... Huh

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 04:39:31 AM »

judgenot,

This is only recorded in the gospel of Mark.

I remebered somehing about traditionor something to do with a belief that Mark himself was that young man.

I saw the "Passion" Mel Gibson's movie, the other day, and as I read your post I remembered how quickly all His disciples abandoned Him, as soon as the soldiers came with Judas to arrest him, they all ran for there lives, here this young man when they seized him, the KJV, doesn't translate this clearly,

"he fled naked, leaving his garment behind"  

is what it reads, according to the NIV.

I only went because my wife had a free $10.00 gift certificate, she receiuved at work, other than that I probaly wouldn't have paid the $12.00 it cost to see it.

Blessings,

Petro

Palmoni

To decide NOT to decide IS to decide!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 09:24:06 AM »

:)Interesting Passage! Tradition says Mark was the one who fled. If one will take the time to do key word studies & cross-check the 4 record accounts of the same point in time as this passage (Mk.14:51,52 in its context), you will come to find that tradition is NOT always right. Note the time & places & people, with & around Jesus.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 09:28:20 AM by Palmoni » Logged

PALMONI [[ If what you believe is not worth dying for, then maybe it's not worth living for. ]]
Reba
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 09:45:02 AM »

Judge,

your question sent me to reading. Matt Henry has a desent commentary on the passage.
Palmoni

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 10:02:44 AM »

HI REBA Smiley Yes, good reading..... its been awhile since i read Matt Henry (or Jamison,Fausset & Brown, or Adam Clark for that matter)!! But as good as He or other well known & sound Commentators (of that time) were, i think they missed the boat on WHO the person who fled was....the record of John helps the most with this MK passage--again Note the time !

PALMONI [[ If what you believe is not worth dying for, then maybe it's not worth living for. ]]
Reba
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 10:22:22 AM »

HI REBA Smiley Yes, good reading..... its been awhile since i read Matt Henry (or Jamison,Fausset & Brown, or Adam Clark for that matter)!! But as good as He or other well known & sound Commentators (of that time) were, i think they missed the boat on WHO the person who fled was....the record of John helps the most with this MK passage--again Note the time !

Come on now Pal don’t be so mysterious spill your gut thoughts.
Palmoni

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:55:45 AM »

Grin As i understand this context in MK (along with the other 3 records time frame), the "certain man" who fled was Lazarus and NOT Mark. Here are some of my reasons. (1) Every night of that week (which was the 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover--MK.14:12), Jesus stayed with Mary & Martha & Lazarus in their home. (2) The Linen cloth that was worn by the young man was a plain-woven corse cotton fabric used for covering or wrapping around the dead for burial. (3) From the time of Lazarus' Resurrection onward, the chief Priests took counsel together plotting to kill Lazarus (JN.12:10) because of the story of his raising up from the dead from the people, causing many to believe on Jesus and shun the influence of the Priests over them. Smiley  ***  PostNote: I also believe that Lazarus was still alive when Mark's account was written (cir. A.D.35-40 ), and that Mark chose not to list the name of Lazarus so as not to draw undue attention to the enemies of Christ of him. There is no scriptures in the whole of the 4 Gospel accounts to give as evidence for Mark as being that young man, only tradition.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 06:25:39 PM by Palmoni » Logged

Palmoni

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 06:32:02 PM »

:)I hope my answer is sufficient & gives you food for thot. Smiley

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 09:24:25 PM »

Palmoni,
Food for thought - yes.  But why would Lazarus - a close friend of Jesus the man - be running away naked?  

I don't understand.

Not only is the 'running away' important (there were many running away that night) but 'naked' must have a specific point...

As far as I know there is nothing in the Bible without meaning - and a solid explanation of these two verses still escapes me...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 12:46:28 AM »

Hi.......... Palmoni,

You said at reply #2

"you will come to find that tradition is NOT always right. Note the time & places & people, with & around Jesus."

And then you post at reply #6

"As i understand this context in MK (along with the other 3 records time frame), the "certain man" who fled was Lazarus and NOT Mark. Here are some of my reasons. (1) Every night of that week (which was the 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover--MK.14:12),

This isn't even a tradition............it is pure speculation..(I am saying this in regard to the sabbath week..)

The Feast of Unleavened bread began, the day after the Lord's Passover Feast, and then ran for seven sabbath days, I understand modern day Jews do celebrate a (7) seven consecutive sabbath feast days of unleavened bread, (they actually were weekly sabbaths which totalled 50 days, Lev 23:16) whether it was celebrated the modern way, in the days of Jesus, I can't say;  it probably was.

Another good piece of information (which you have stated) is that the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were all considered Sabbaths.

Howver, it is important to consult the written record at Mat 26, to see if this is so.

Mat 26:17, gives us the following info,which is crucial, because it dispells, the myth and sets the actual day of the week Jesus rose from the grave.

Note;

17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
18  And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
19  And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

We can know that this day was the night  (or the begining day of preparation of the seventh day sabbath) the night before the crucifixion of Jesus.  

So the passover that year fell on a what we call Thrusday night by our reckoning ( but according to the jewish calendar would have been the begin evening of Friday), thus the day of preparation was the day Jesus died on the cross, (about the ninth hour), that day was the Lord's Passover day (the fourteenth day of the first month)(Lev 23:5)

The feast of Unleavened Bread began the evening of the day following Jesus's crucifixion (Lev 23:6), notice that no serville work was to done, during the Unleavened Feast days, but nothing is said about serville work on the day of the Lord's Passover

Now you might ask, How can his be,  And of what value is this information...??  

Well,         It clears up, and sets in stone the day Jesus rose from the dead... what with all the teachings out there that He died on wednesday others claiming thursday, and so on...

Notice;

Luke 23
46  And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
47  Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.
48  And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.
49  And all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.
50  And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
51  (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
52  This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53  And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
54  And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Understanding these, points, will allow one to understand that Jesus celebarted the Lords Passover on Thrusday Night, was crucified on Friday and rose from the grave on the first Day of the Week, Sunday.

Now, back to the original Q, ............  whether it was Lazarus or not, who can really know..........??

God Bless,

Petro

« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 01:05:46 AM by Petro » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the