Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Debate?  (Read 1440 times)
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2004, 08:07:07 AM »

This probably falls more under the scope of "question" than anything, and possibly is in the wrong forum.

I am wondering, what is the point of a debate that continues to go nowhere?

I understand the point of debate, I even enjoy it, to a point. But when it becomes obvious that we are "flogging a dead horse" (so to speak) why do we keep at it?

I know what righteous anger is....I agree that at all times we should try to correct the misconceptions of God's Word; point out His truths and teach the gospel wherever we can.

Even Jesus told his disciples to go out and spread the good news of the gospel, but if a place wouldn't hear them, to "shake the dust of them off your feet".

I understand the need of the believer for the Word - it feeds us. I even understand the need to share those scriptures with others. But I don't understand why we think that those scriptures alone will convince somebody who doesn't want to be convinced. To the unbeliever they are just words. Isn't it in our behaviour as christians (our fruit) that we may begin to convince others of the truth of the Bible?

Luk 6:43  For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.  

Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

And to be honest, in some debates I see very little of those fruits (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here....this is more of a general thing about religious debates) and so then is it any wonder that unbelievers look at christians and say "if that's what it's like to be a christian, no thanks"?

I believe in living God's Word through "Christ in me" on a day-to-day basis. The changes He has brought to me and to the way I behave with, and relate to, others has brought far more result than just quoting scripture ever could. (Now, before you all start jumping on me, I said I believe that quoting scripture is necessary and good; the meat we desire.)

If someone who never knew anything about God were to look at our debates, what fruit would we be known by?

In Christ Always
Be blessed and
be a blessing

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
The Crusader
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 08:24:03 AM »

I enjoy the Debate area Smiley
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 04:34:31 PM »

This probably falls more under the scope of "question" than anything, and possibly is in the wrong forum.

I understand the point of debate, I even enjoy it, to a point. But when it becomes obvious that we are "flogging a dead horse" (so to speak) why do we keep at it?

I know what righteous anger is....I agree that at all times we should try to correct the misconceptions of God's Word; point out His truths and teach the gospel wherever we can.

Even Jesus told his disciples to go out and spread the good news of the gospel, but if a place wouldn't hear them, to "shake the dust of them off your feet".

I understand the need of the believer for the Word - it feeds us. I even understand the need to share those scriptures with others. But I don't understand why we think that those scriptures alone will convince somebody who doesn't want to be convinced. To the unbeliever they are just words. Isn't it in our behaviour as christians (our fruit) that we may begin to convince others of the truth of the Bible?

Luk 6:43  For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.  

Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

And to be honest, in some debates I see very little of those fruits (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here....this is more of a general thing about religious debates) and so then is it any wonder that unbelievers look at christians and say "if that's what it's like to be a christian, no thanks"?

I believe in living God's Word through "Christ in me" on a day-to-day basis. The changes He has brought to me and to the way I behave with, and relate to, others has brought far more result than just quoting scripture ever could. (Now, before you all start jumping on me, I said I believe that quoting scripture is necessary and good; the meat we desire.)

If someone who never knew anything about God were to look at our debates, what fruit would we be known by?

In Christ Always
Be blessed and
be a blessing

Gracey

It is only futile when you are sure the horse is dead.  Sometimes flogging will bring a sick horse to its feet to push the metaphor a little to hard.

I guess what I am syaying is you can never be sure that you are not reaching someone.  It may look like you are not getting through, that they are being so stubborn that it appears there is no use arguing with them but something is sinking in believe me.  You may never see the results, someone else may reap where you sewed but the truth will win out eventually.  There is never a good reason to give up on anyone.

My one question is why is a debate area needed - isn't what we are doing called apologetics?  Why don't we use the apologetics area as the debate area?  

It's a small point but I just post stuff in the apologetics area and wait for the moderator to decided it has gotten too heated to leave it there then I post in here.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 05:21:36 PM »

I guess what I am syaying is you can never be sure that you are not reaching someone.  It may look like you are not getting through, that they are being so stubborn that it appears there is no use arguing with them but something is sinking in believe me.  You may never see the results, someone else may reap where you sewed but the truth will win out eventually.  There is never a good reason to give up on anyone.

This is true, in part. You see, part of spreading the gospel is sometimes just being the planter. As a gardener, I know that nothing can grow if the seed isn't planted. From that point on, it's really up to God to send the waterer (another person), and the Son (sun?) to grow it up.

I guess that I feel as if I'm a planter, and I don't feel that I have to do the entire job of growing the tree, so I do the part of the job I can ALWAYS do, and that is to plant the seed. It doesn't take very long to plant 1 seed.

You see, I never do give up, but there comes a point when you turn the finishing over God and let Him do it.

Believe!

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Reba
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »

BUT its so much fun to know your right  Grin... march off to scripture land copy and paste the scripture   THEN read it  Lips Sealed and humbly post it any way Embarrassed
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 08:50:28 PM »

BUT its so much fun to know your right

I suppose it is.....    Grin

Or, is it just that we like to show others they are wrong?

Gracey

Hmmmm, that didn't come out quite right. Was supposed to be a bit of joke, but it doesn't look like it.

(No, please - don't bother to throw any eggs)   Grin

†† Guided by God ††
The Crusader
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 04:08:15 AM »

ROFLOL Grin
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 07:35:26 AM »

Should we teach Christ, Him crucified and resurrected only to unbelievers?
Paul disputed with the Jews and the gentiles, he did not strive or debate, but taught Christ and Him crucified. It is truth and the only truth.

We should not strive among ouselves.

This strife came about when men decided to denomonate, (divide),  themselves into groups with differing thoughts on doctrine, worship, etc. It started with the congregations in Asia Minor, then the church at Rome and continiued with the reformation.

Most of what is strived, (debated), is on these differences that have come out of our denominating ourselves into groups other than just God's people knowing Jesus Christ and Him crucified and risen.

Acts 17:16.  Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
 17.  Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.
 18.  Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 07:37:25 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 07:28:55 AM »

In Christ Always
Be blessed and
be a blessing

Gracey

Shaking the dust off and moving on to trying to reach the unsaved. What a novel idea!  Grin

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 08:26:23 AM »

Shaking the dust off and moving on to trying to reach the unsaved. What a novel idea!

ummm, I'm not entirely sure how to take that   Smiley

†† Guided by God ††
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 08:33:18 AM »

Shaking the dust off and moving on to trying to reach the unsaved. What a novel idea!

ummm, I'm not entirely sure how to take that   Smiley

Sorry! LOL! Tongue-in-cheek! That advice is really good and it's been around such a long time that you'd think we'd have all remembered it!  Wink

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 08:39:41 AM »

Sorry! LOL! Tongue-in-cheek! That advice is really good and it's been around such a long time that you'd think we'd have all remembered it!

We don't remember it because we like to try and do God's job, instead of ours...  Grin

blessings
Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the