Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 SALVATION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 SALVATION  (Read 9954 times)
Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »

Rom:10:9: That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom:10:13: For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Rom:11:26: And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

1Cor:1:18: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Cor:3:15: If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

1Cor:5:5: To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

1Cor:10:33: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

1Cor:15:2: By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

2Cor:2:15: For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

Eph:2:5: Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Eph:2:8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

1Thes:2:16: Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

2Thes:2:10: And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

1Tm:2:4: Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

1Tm:2:15: Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

2Tm:1:9: Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Ti:3:5: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

1Pt:3:20: Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

1Pt:4:18: And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

2Pt:2:5: And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Jude:1:5: I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

Rv:21:24: And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

Saving

Heb:10:39: But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Heb:11:7: By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Salvation

Lk:1:69: And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

Lk:1:77: To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Lk:2:30: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,

Lk:3:6: And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

Lk:19:9: And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

Jn:4:22: Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

Acts:4:12: Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Acts:13:26: Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

Acts:13:47: For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

Acts:16:17: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

Acts:28:28: Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

Rom:1:16: For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Rom:10:10: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom:11:11: I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Rom:13:11: And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

2Cor:1:6: And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.

2Cor:6:2: (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

2Cor:7:10: For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Eph:1:13: In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph:6:17: And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Phil:1:19: For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Phil:1:28: And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.

Phil:2:12: Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

1Thes:5:8: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Thes:5:9: For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

2Thes:2:13: But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

2Tm:2:10: Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

2Tm:3:15: And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Ti:2:11: For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Heb:1:14: Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Heb:2:3: How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

Heb:2:10: For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Heb:5:9: And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Heb:6:9: But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

Heb:9:28: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

1Pt:1:5: Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1Pt:1:9: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

1Pt:1:10: Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

2Pt:3:15: And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Jude:1:3: Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Rv:7:10: And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Rv:12:10: And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Rv:19:1: And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »

Brother Hugh,

Go back to the basics. I'm not going to spend my time in teaching you the obvious. I do have better and more productive things to do with my time, so you're on your own. I recommend that you find a local pastor.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

Show Me!  Teach Me!  Give me Scripture that says, Being Born Again IS Salvation, and Salvation IS being Born Again.

1. I don't play Semantics

Semantics has to do with the "meanings of words" and this is what you have been doing throughout your posts in this thread, the taking of different meanings of words from the original languages and trying to make them fit into your theology.

1. Why do people need to be saved? Saved from what?

2. What happens when a person is saved?

To answer these questions will also answer how "Being Born Again IS Salvation, and Salvation IS being Born Again". That answer is also in your own posts here with the very scripture that you have posted.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

Brother Tom,

And

Welcome to the discussion Soldier 4 Christ

Let me start with apologies for not replying sooner, but my internet server was down and I was not capable of sending or receiving any e mzil!

Unfortunately, there is a 10,000 character limitation on the amount that can be posted at any one time, and on several occasions  I have had to chop my postings into smaller bits in order to post them, only to find you responding to the first part faster than I could post the second or third part!  This in turn led to some misunderstanding and other breakdown in communications!

Example

When I spoke of SALVATION YET TO COME, and NOBODY IS WALKING ON STREETS OF GOLD JUST YET, I was indeed speaking of GLORIFICATION as the final phase of God's Total Package for us!  However, I never stated, nor implied that "NOBODY IS SAVED YET, or BORN AGAIN YET!"

We do not have to wait until we are GRAVEYARD DEAD to experience the ETERNAL LIFE that is promised unto us! 

Romans 8:11 (King James Version)
 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

This quickening of our mortal bodies is part of the Holy Spirit REGENERATION that we call being BORN AGAIN!

Let's move on to the real reason for this reply,

Brothers ,

It serves no purpose to BUTT HEADS or CROSS SWORDS over differences of opinion, especially when this is not a FORMAL DEBATE!  There is no JUDGE, MODERATOR, REFEREE, or NEUTRAL THIRD PARTY to enforce the RULES and EVALUATE the EVIDENCE SUBMITTED!

However, in the fields of HERMANEUTICS and EXEGESIS there are RULES that govern how we are to RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH!

One of these RULES is to insure that any Native Language Translation is saying the same thing as the Original Language Texts!  Before we even consider the GRAMMAR and SYNTAX of the Language, we need to first consider the VOCABULARY!  One word can have several different meanings, any, or all of which might apply!  However, to choose the wrong ALTERNATE MEANING could totally destroy the INTENT of what God is trying to say!

As I sought to determine the precise meaning of SALVATION as it is used in the GREEK texts I was accused of PLAYING SEMANTICS!

I denied the accuauation of SEMANTICS but Soldier 4 Christ reaffirmed it with the following reply,

Re: Acts 2:38 SALVATION
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Hugh-MANN on March 27, 2012, 10:04:56 PM

Show Me!  Teach Me!  Give me Scripture that says, Being Born Again IS Salvation, and Salvation IS being Born Again.

1. I don't play Semantics

Semantics has to do with the "meanings of words" and this is what you have been doing throughout your posts in this thread, the taking of different meanings of words from the original languages and trying to make them fit into your theology.

To answer these questions will also answer how "Being Born Again IS Salvation, and Salvation IS being Born Again". That answer is also in your own posts here with the very scripture that you have posted.

[/color]

More than just playing SEMANTICS, what you are accusing me of is called WRESTING THE SCRIPTURES!

2 Peter 3:15-16 (King James Version)

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

I am neither unlearned, nor unstable,  so the question arises,

"Am I   WRESTING THE SCRIPTURES?"

or,

"Am I RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH?"

Go back and re-read reply # 1  I believe that it adequately describes my motivation for what you are calling "SEMANTICS!"

I do not seek to wrest the Scriptures and make them fit my own Theology, rather, I encourage everyone to Read the WORD for themselves and to RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH, and then to WALK IN THE LIGHT OF TRUTH

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

Hi everybody,

I am not sure what just happened?  It seems that my last reply posted itself automatically, and prematurely, so let me conclude,

I do not seek to wrest the Scriptures and make them fit my own Theology, rather, I encourage everyone to Read the WORD for themselves and to RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH, and then to WALK IN THE LIGHT OF TRUTH as it is revealed unto them!

And ye shall Know the Truth

And the Truth shall make you Free![/color]

More to come later,

Have a Nice Day!

Brother Hugh

[/b]

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »

In the ongoing discussion concerning SALVATION and BEING BORN AGAIN Pastor Roger asks,

Romans 3:23 (King James Version)

For all have sinned,

and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 (King James Version)

For the wages of sin is death;

but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

WE NEED TO BE SAVED BECAUSE WE ARE INCAPABLE OF SAVING OURSELVES!

Saved from what?

Sins Obviously!
[/b]

Matthew 1:20-22 (King James Version)

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

I still maintain that Deliverance is the primary intended meaning for Salvation!  So I will answer accordingly!

Colossians 1:13

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness,[/color]

and hath translated us

into the kingdom of his dear Son:
[/color]

Notice that there are two separate phases here! 

1.  being delivered  from (out of) the power of darkness,

2.. being translated into the kingdom of his dear Son:

The time interval between 1 & 2 can be near instantaneous, or it can drag out for many years (Depending upon the circumstances)!

We have previously discussed the 40 years that the Israelites wandered in the Wilderness, so we won't repeat that, but it is a valid illustration!

Luke 11:24-26 (King James Version)

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. 25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. 26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

As a living Temple of God, all of the MERCHANTS and MONEYCHANGERS must be driven out

Ownership must be established,  We are REDEEMED by the BLOOD of CHRIST

Jesus must take his rightful place as HIGH PRIEST

The Temple must be CLEANSED / SANCTIFIED /  CONSECRATED  by the BLOOD OF CHRIST

then, and only then, can THE GLORY OF THE LORD FILL THE HOUSE OF THE LORD!
[/color]

And if any of the unclean spirits try to return, let the Holy Spirit meet them at the door!

Now let me ask a question,

"What is it that must be saved?"

The vast majority of professing believers would respond that it is the SOUL which must be SAVED!"

Consider,

1 Thessalonians 5:23 (King James Version)

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

CONCLUSION

THE FULNESS OF THE GODHEAD

DOES A TOTAL WORK

FOR THE TOTAL PERSON!
[/color]

What God does for us is not just a singular one time event!   There are a multitude of different events, spread out over a lifetime, that make up THE TOTAL PACKAGE that God has for each of us!

Let me repeat,

Many of the divisions within the Church are centered on the requirements for Salvation! This is due, in part, because of the meaning of the word! Many Opinions on the subject have been expressed, and many Doctrines have been formulated based upon man's understanding of the word Salvation as it used in their Native Translations, without giving heed to the meaning of the word as it was delivered in the Original Language texts! Because of this, many people are using the word Save, or Salvation to express concepts that are not entirely accurate! Even though the whole world referred to a cow as a frog, cows would still be cows, and frogs would still be frogs!

As we seek to Rightly Divide the Word of Truth, we must remember that one word in the Hebrew, or Greek Languages, may have several different interpretations, any, or all of which may apply! The reverse is also true! One word in English, may have several different renderings in Hebrew or Greek!

As we consider all that God has for us, many events may seem to happen simultaneously, or in such rapid succession that they seem simultaneous! This is one of the reasons that the word for salvation is so misused!

Too often people will try to make the Scriptures conform to their own personal experience, (or lack thereof), rather than making their personal experience conform to the Scriptures! Some people will try to lump a multitude of events under one label!

Each person's experience is unique! God has allowed some flexibility because of this. One person may experience these events in a different order of succession from someone else! I believe that it is vitally important that every believer receive all that God has for them!

If we attempt to lump all these events into one container, and call that container Salvation, someone might not receive all that God has for them, yet be deceived into believing that they had! We should not seek to oversimplify, nor overcomplicate the Gospel! However to avoid Doctrinal Errors, it is essential that we call each event by it's proper name, and only by it's proper name! It is not my place to sit in judgement over another person's Salvation experience! They were there when it happened, they know exactly what happened to them, however they might not have experienced all that God has made available, and be lulled into a false sense of security, by someone else's attempt to oversimplify the Gospel!

If we look at THE TOTAL PACKAGE and call it GOD'S PLAN OF SALVATION, everybody gets the message, but if we called it GOD'S PLAN OF ATONEMENT, it is still the same message! 

but if we called it GOD'S PLAN OF REDEMPTION, it is still the same message! 

but if we called it GOD'S PLAN OF RESTORATION, it is still the same message! 

but if we called it GOD'S PLAN OF RECONCILLIATION  it is still the same message! 

but if we called it GOD'S PLAN OF SPIRITUAL REGENERATION, it is still the same message! 

Let me repeat,

If we attempt to lump all these events into one container, and call that container Salvation, someone might not receive all that God has for them, yet be deceived into believing that they had! We should not seek to oversimplify, nor overcomplicate the Gospel! However to avoid Doctrinal Errors, it is essential that we call each event by it's proper name, and only by it's proper name! It is not my place to sit in judgement over another person's Salvation experience! They were there when it happened, they know exactly what happened to them, however they might not have experienced all that God has made available, and be lulled into a false sense of security, by someone else's attempt to oversimplify the Gospel!

Consider,

BUBBA"S BACKWOODS BIBLE DICTIONARY

SALVATION

Traditionally, anything by which our sins are forgiven, or by which the penalty for our sins is nullified!

This in turn places us on the Path to GLORY!

Matthew 15:1-9 (King James Version)

Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, 2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. 3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. 7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Jesus had nothing good to say concerning the TRADITIONS of men, yet today there are a multitude of manmade traditions which are making the commandment of God of none effect!

TRUTH OR TRADITION?

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

[/color]

HAVE A NICE DAY!

HUGH

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

The TRUTH is simple, simple enough for a child to understand:

Romans 10:17 KJV  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

John 3:16-18 KJV  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  17  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.  18  He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 10:8-10 KJV  But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;  9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  10  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-10 KJV  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.  10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Titus 3:4-7 KJV  But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,  5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;  6  Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;  7  That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »

Brother Tom,

Thank you for your response!

I previously asked for Scriptures to show that

Salvation and being Born Again are one and the same thing. There is no Salvation without being Born Again, and being Born Again is Salvation.

Since then, both Pastor Roger and you have submitted many Scriptures relative to Salvation, and to being Born Again,  but only one passage even comes close to saying that Salvation and being Born Again are one and the same thing!

Titus 3:5-7 (King James Version)
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (American Standard Version)
not by works done in righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 which he poured out upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 that, being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (Bible In Basic English)
 Not by works of righteousness which we did ourselves, but in the measure of his mercy, he gave us salvation, through the washing of the new birth and the giving of new life in the Holy Spirit, 6 Which he gave us freely through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 So that, having been given righteousness through grace, we might have a part in the heritage, the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (Centenary Translation of the New Testament)
 He saved us, not because of any deeds that we had done in righteousness, But because of his own pity for us. He saved us by that washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit 6 which he poured out upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 In order that being justified by his grace, We might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:4-7 (Darby's Translation)
But when the kindness and love to man of our Saviour God appeared, 5 not on the principle of works which [have been done] in righteousness which we had done, but according to his own mercy he saved us through [the] washing of regeneration and renewal of [the] Holy Spirit, 6 which he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 that, having been justified by his grace, we should become heirs according to [the] hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (English Standard Version)
he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:4-7 (God's Word)
However, when God our Savior made his kindness and love for humanity appear, 5 he saved us, but not because of anything we had done to gain his approval. Instead, because of his mercy he saved us through the washing in which the Holy Spirit gives us new birth and renewal. 6 God poured a generous amount of the Spirit on us through Jesus Christ our Savior. 7 As a result, God in his kindness has given us his approval and we have become heirs who have the confidence that we have everlasting life.

Titus 3:5-7 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
He saved us— not by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit. 6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (Mace New Testament)
he saved us not in consideration of any virtuous actions which we had done, but out of his meer mercy, by the baptism of regeneration, he form'd us anew, by the plentiful effusion of the holy spirit, thro' Jesus Christ our saviour: 6 7 that being justified by his favour, we should have the inheritance of eternal life, according to our hopes.

Titus 3:5-7 (New King James Version)
not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:5-7 (New Living Translation, Second Edition)
 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. 6 He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior. 7 Because of his grace he declared us righteous and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life.”

Titus 3:5-7 (Wesley New Testament)
Not by works of righteousness which we had done, but according to his own mercy he saved us, by the laver of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. 6 Which he poured forth richly upon us, 7 through Jesus Christ our Saviour, That, being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs, according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:4-7 (Young's Literal Translation)
and when the kindness and the love to men of God our Saviour did appear 5 (not by works that are in righteousness that we did but according to His kindness,) He did save us, through a bathing of regeneration, and a renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 which He poured upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour, 7 that having been declared righteous by His grace, heirs we may become according to the hope of life age-during.

Titus 3:5-7 (Moffatt's New Testament)
 and he saved us, not for anything we had done but from his own pity for us, by the water that means regeneration and renewal under the holy Spirit 6 which he poured upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Saviour, 7 that we might be justified by his grace and become heirs to the hope of life eternal."

Titus 3:4-7 (Weymouth New Testament)
But when the goodness of God our Saviour, and His love to man, dawned upon us, not in consequence of things which we, 5 as righteous men, had done, but as the result of His own mercy He saved us by means of the bath of regeneration and the renewal of our natures by the Holy Spirit, 6 which He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 in order that having been declared righteous through His grace we might become heirs to the Life of the Ages in fulfilment of our hopes.

NOTE!

Seeking to cross reference the Washing of Regeneration produced these additional Scriptures

Ephesians 5:25-27 (King James Version)

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

1 Peter 3:18-22 (King James Version)

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. 21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us [/color](not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: 22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

DISCUSSION

by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE WASHING OF REGENERATION

AND

RENEWING OF THE HOLY GHOST

BY WHICH HE SAVES US?

Notice the slight variations between each of the various Translations!

Are the all saying the same thing differently?

or,

Are they all saying something different

using similar words?

Also, various commentaries address this issue, but we must remember that Commentaries are not Scripture, and do not have the same degree of authority as the Scriptures!

CONSIDER

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »

THE EPISTLE OF PAUL TO TITUS

Commentary by A. R. FAUSSETT

A Commentary: Critical, Experimental, and Practical on the Old and New Testaments.

Titus 3:5-6

by -- Greek, "through"; by means of.

the washing -- rather, "the laver," that is, the baptismal font.

of regeneration -- designed to be the visible instrument of regeneration. "The apostles are wont to draw an argument from the sacraments to prove the thing therein signified, because it ought to be a recognized principle among the godly, that God does not mark us with empty signs. but by His power inwardly makes good what He demonstrates by the outward sign. Wherefore baptism is congruously and truly called the laver of regeneration. We must connect the sign and thing signified, so as not to make the sign empty and ineffectual; and yet not, for the sake of honoring the sign, to detract from the Holy Spirit what is peculiarly His" [CALVIN], (1Pe 3:21). Adult candidates for baptism are presupposed to have had repentance and faith (for Paul often assumes in faith and charity that those addressed are what they profess to be, though in fact some of them were not so, 1Co 6:11), in which case baptism would be the visible "laver or regeneration" to them, "faith being thereby confirmed, and grace increased, by virtue of prayer to God" [Article XXVII, Church of England]. Infants are charitably presumed to have received a grace in connection with their Christian descent, in answer to the believing prayers of their parents or guardians presenting them for baptism, which grace is visibly sealed and increased by baptism, "the laver of regeneration." They are presumed to be then regenerated, until years of developed consciousness prove whether they have been actually so or not. "Born of (from) water and (no 'of' in Greek) the Spirit." The Word is the remote and anterior instrument of the new birth; Baptism, the proximate instrument. The Word, the instrument to the individual; Baptism, in relation to the Society of Christians. The laver of cleansing stood outside the door of the tabernacle, wherein the priest had to wash before entering the Holy Place; so we must wash in the laver of regeneration before we can enter the Church, whose members are "a royal priesthood." "Baptism by the Spirit" (whereof water baptism is the designed accompanying seal) makes the difference between Christian baptism and that of John. As Paul presupposes the outward Church is the visible community of the redeemed, so he speaks of baptism on the supposition that it answers to its idea; that all that is inward belonging to its completeness accompanied the outward. Hence he here asserts of outward baptism whatever is involved in the believing appropriation of the divine facts which it symbolizes, whatever is realized when baptism fully corresponds to its original design. So 3:27; language holding good only of those in whom the inward living communion and outward baptism coalesce. "Saved us" applies fully to those truly regenerate alone; in a general sense it may include many who, though put within reach of salvation, shall not finally be saved. "Regeneration" occurs only once more in New Testament, Mt 19:28, that is, the new birth of the heaven and earth at Christ's second coming to renew all material things, the human body included, when the creature, now travailing in labor-throes to the birth, shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. Regeneration, which now begins in the believer's soul, shall then be extended to his body, and thence to all creation.

and renewing -- not "the laver ('washing') of renewing," but "and BY the renewing," &c. following "saved us." To make "renewing of the Holy Ghost" follow "the laver" would destroy the balance of the clauses of the sentence, and would make baptism the seal, not only of regeneration, but also of the subsequent process of progressive sanctification ("renewing of the Holy Ghost"). Regeneration is a thing once for all done; renewing is a process daily proceeding. As "the washing," or "laver," is connected with "regeneration," so the "renewing of the Holy Ghost" is connected with "shed on us abundantly" (Tit 3:6).

Notes for Verse 6

Verse 6. Which -- the Holy Ghost.

he shed -- Greek, "poured out"; not only on the Church in general at Pentecost, but also "on us" individually. This pouring out of the Spirit comprehends the grace received before, in, and subsequently to, baptism.

abundantly -- Greek, "richly" (Col 3:16).

through Jesus Christ -- the channel and Mediator of the gift of the Holy Ghost.
our Saviour -- immediately; as the Father is mediately "our Saviour." The Father is the author of our salvation and saves us by Jesus Christ.

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:38 AM »

Barnes’ Notes On The New Testament

by

Albert Barnes

Notes on the New Testament Explanatory and Practical.

He saved us. That is, he began that salvation in us which is to be completed in heaven. A, man who is already renewed and pardoned may be spoken of as saved-for

(1.) the work of salvation is begun, and

(2.) when begun it will certainly be completed. Philippians 1:6.

By the washing of regeneration. In order to a correct understanding of this important passage, it is necessary to ascertain whether the phrase here used refers to baptism, and whether anything different is intended by it from what is meant by the succeeding phrase-" renewing of the Holy Ghost."-The word rendered washing (λουτρον) occurs in the New Testament only in this place and in Ephesians 5:26, where also it is rendered washing-" That he might sanctify and cleanse it [the church] with the washing of water by the word." The word properly means a bath; then water.for bathing; then the act of bathing, washing, ablution. Passow and Robinson. It is used by Homer to denote a warm or cold bath; then a washing away, and is thus applied to the drink-offerings in sacrifice, which were supposed to purify or wash away sin. Passow. The word here does not mean laver, or the vessel for washing in, which would be expressed by λουτηρ, louter; and this word cannot be properly applied to the baptismal font. The word in itself would naturally be understood as referring to baptism, (comp. Acts 22:16,) which was regarded as the emblem of washing away sins, or of cleansing from them. I say it was the emblem, not the means of purifying the soul from sin. If this be the allusion, and it seems probable, then the phrase "washing of regeneration" would mean "that outward washing or baptism which is the emblem of regeneration," and which is appointed as one of the ordinances connected with salvation. Mark 16:16. "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." It is not affirmed in his phrase that baptism is the means of regeneration; or that grace is necessarily conveyed by it; and still less that baptism is regeneration, for no one of these is a necessary interpretation of the passage, and should not be assumed to be the true one. The full force of the language will be met by the supposition that it means that baptism is the emblem or symbol of regeneration, and, if this is the case, no one has a right to assume that the other is certainly the meaning. And that this is the meaning is further clear, because it is nowhere taught in the New Testament that baptism is regeneration, or that it is the means of regeneration. The word rendered regeneration (παλιγγενεσια, palingenesia) occurs in the New Testament only here and in Matthew 19:28,-"in the regeneration when the Son of man," etc. It means, properly, a new-birth, reproduction, or renewal. It would properly be applied to one who should be begotten again in this sense, that a new life was commenced in him in some way corresponding to his being made to live at first. To the proper idea of the word, it is essential that there should be connected the notion of the commencement of life in the man, so that he may be said to live anew; and as religion is in the Scriptures represented as life, it is properly applied to the beginning of that kind of life by which man may be said to live anew. This word, occurring only here and in Matthew 19:28, and there indubitably not referring to baptism, should not be here understood as referring to that, or be applied to that, for

(1.) that is not the proper meaning of the word;

(2.) there is no Scripture usage to sanction it;

(3.) the connexion here does not demand it;

(4.) the correlatives of the word (John 3:3,5,6,8, 1 Peter 1:3) are applied only to that great moral change which is produced by the Holy Ghost; and

(5.) it is a dangerous use of the word. Its use in this sense leaves the impression that the only change needful for man is that which is produced by being regularly baptized. On almost no point has so much injury been done in the church as by the application of the word regeneration to baptism. It affects the beginning of religion in the soul; and if a mistake is made there, it is one which must pervade all the views of piety.

And renewing of the Holy Ghost. This is an important clause, added by Paul apparently to save from the possibility of falling into error. If the former expression, "the washing of regeneration," had been left to stand by itself, it might have been supposed possibly that all the regeneration which would be needed would be that which would accompany baptism. But he avoids the possibility of this error, by saying that the "renewing of the Holy Ghost" is an indispensable part of that by which we are saved. It is necessary that this should exist in addition to that which is the mere emblem of it—the washing of regeneration—for without this the former would be unmeaning and unavailing. It is important to observe that the apostle by no means says that this always follows from the former, nor does he affirm that it ever follows from it-whatever may be tile truth on that point-but he asserts that this is that on which our salvation depends. The word rendered renewing (ἀνακαίνωσις—anakainosis) occurs only here and in Romans 12:2, where it is also rendered renewing. Compare Romans 12:2. The verb (ἀνακαινόω—anakainoo) occurs in 2 Corinthians 4:16, Colossians 3:19, in both which places it is rendered renewed, and the corresponding word, ἀνακαινίζω—anakainidzo, in Hebrews 6:6. The noun properly means making new again; a renewing; a renovation. Comp. H. Planck in Bib. Repos., i. 677. It is a word which is found only in the writings of Paul and in ecclesiastical Greek writers. It would be properly applied to such a change as the Holy Spirit produces in the soul, making one a new man; that is, a man new, so far as religion is concerned-new in his views, feelings, desires, hopes, plans, and purposes. He is so far different from what he was before, that it may be said he enters on a new life. Ephesians 4:23,24. The "renewing of the Holy Ghost" of course means that which the Holy Ghost produces, recognising the fact, everywhere taught in the Scriptures, that the Holy Spirit is the Author of the new creation. It cannot mean, as Koppe supposes, the renewing of the mind itself, or producing a holy spirit in the soul.

JOHN WESLEY'S NOTES ON THE WHOLE BIBLE

Explanatory Notes upon the New Testament.

Notes for Verse 5

Verse 5. Not by works - In this important passage the apostle presents us with a delightful view of our redemption. Herein we have,

1. The cause of it; not our works or righteousness, but "the kindness and love of God our Savior."

2. The effects; which are,

(1.) Justification; "being justified," pardoned and accepted through the alone merits of Christ, not from any desert in us, but according to his own mercy, "by his grace," his free, unmerited goodness.

(2.) Sanctification, expressed by the laver of regeneration, (that is, baptism, the thing signified, as well as the outward sign,) and the renewal of the Holy Ghost; which purifies the soul, as water cleanses the body, and renews it in the whole image of God.

3. The consummation of all; - that we might become heirs of eternal life, and live now in the joyful hope of it.

This is a lot to digest all at once!

More to come later,

HAVE A NICE DAY

HUGH

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »

Quoting commentaries isn't helping you to make any points at all. The simple, basic TRUTH is that Salvation and being Born Again are one and the same. I have many commentaries, but I don't need them for this simple, basic TRUTH. Use your commentaries on John 3:3-7 and 1 Peter 1:20-25 if you can't understand the Scriptures as written. Regardless, I'm finished trying to explain this to you.

tcJ

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »

Hugh-Mann
in Reply#11 on Mar 27 you posted a def. from American Heritage Dictionary using the words, (this is by memory, I don't know how to cut an paste,etc)...  "Christian Science... and Life, Truth, and Love... "
I suspect you are a Christian Scientist. I must applaud nChrist and Soldier4Christ for recognizing a game of semantics, they used Truth to recognize the false. Notice they used about one word for every thousand you typed?
I was born into a CS family(not dad, mom was a serious member, both deceased) and I rejected it at age 15. I would describe it as a trap within a trap. I have 3 "sister" siblings that are still trapped(had 4, 1 died) I'm a believer, was born again, it'll be 4 yrs. this Dec.
You know Herb Mann? Ever been to Hawaii? This may be it's a "small world" moment, with alot of water under the bridge. Praise God.-tc
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »

Where is the written authority that baptism must be done preceded by announcing in whose authority the baptism is done? We have examples in scriptures of baptism being accomplished and it being shown by whose authority such is claimed.  Still where is it commanded that the example should be followed? It seems a legality made up by men.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
grandma dolittle

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »

Hugh-man,
I do not mean to offend, but.... maybe you should throw away all those other books and spend your time reading God's word.  Instead of writing lengthy posts that does not glorify.

grandma

1 John 4:4   Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the