Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Correct Bible manuscripts vs corrupted manuscripts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Correct Bible manuscripts vs corrupted manuscripts  (Read 4610 times)
Petri Paavola

Jesus Christ is the Lord!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »

What would be the most important deception how satan would like to deceive people away from the truth? That he would tamper with the Word of God by adding the words, leaving out the words, and by changing the original words in completely different words. If he could deceive people by saying that he has the original texts, and that the real original texts are counterfeits, so his deception would be completely successful. He has done this, and by this deception, he deceives a large part of the mankind, and even some of the sincere disciples of the Lord Jesus.

In this article, I'm going to bring out the origin of the original texts of the New Testament. I also bring out the deception regarding to unreliable manuscripts, which are used to deceive the Christian world.

The whole article you can read here: http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/Biblemanuscripts.html

Jesus Christ is the Lord!
logos7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

I would wholeheartedly agree with your findings except that Cyprian quotes I John 5:7 in His Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. V, 418, 423 apprx 250AD.  At least 100 years before Priscillian could have added them to I John.
Didymus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »

The question about reliable biblical manuscripts is not as cut and dry as you might think. There are literally thousands of ancient manuscripts to compare, not only the original greek, but many of the neighboring countries made copies that are ancient. Bible translators have an abundance of manuscripts to sift through in order to arrive at what they believe is the closest to the original autographs.
I used to think that the manuscripts that the KJV is based on were the only ones to be trusted, but after searching it out, I believe the modern Bible versions are based on the best manuscripts. I would like to recommend a book called, "The Text of the New Testament__From Maunuscript to Modern Edition." It is authored by J. Harold Greenlee. It is only 120 pages long, but it packs a lot of information aimed at laymen. You don't need to be a scholar to understand it.
I think the real problem isn't the manuscripts (since the differences are very, very minor), but it's the non-stop production of English Bibles. It seems like every year or two a new English translation comes out. We have more than enough translations! Now, having said that, I use several translations when studying the Bible. I use the ESV as my main text, and also use a parallel Bible that contains several translations. I also use the KJV and Young's Literal translation of the Bible. I think that by comparing various translations, you can get a better grip on what's being said.
When you get down to it, there are no points of doctrine changed by any of the manuscripts used in the newer translations.
I am not against those who prefer to use the KJV, but I also do not support those who say that it is the only translation to be trusted.
God bless, brothers.

Didymus Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:48:31 PM by Didymus » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

Hello Didymus,

I agree with you. I've used the KJV most of my life and grew up with it, but I'm not a KJY onlyist. I've started using the ESV, NASB, and other translations in recent years and also enjoy making side by side comparisons. I still use the KJV more because of habit and familiarity, but I think that the ESV and the NASB are more accurate. I would view the ESV as the easiest to read and understand.

Didymus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 02:14:11 AM »

I think the ESV provides a good balance of easy readability and accuracy. It's said to be an "essentially literal" translation, and I find that to be true. The KJV, NKJV, NASB, are very literal, accurate translations, and are good to consult during bible study. In fact, the NKJV is an excellent all around translation, IMO, especially for those used to the KJV. I'm not crazy about the "dynamic equivalent" translations, like the NIV. They took too many liberties and made it more of a commentary than a translation in some areas.
But I do think it's a good idea to use several translations along with your main version of choice, to compare difficult verses.
What ever version we choose, read...read...read it!!!!
God bless.

Didymus
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:08:28 AM »

I use a great freeware Bible Study Program called e-Sword, and I have numerous Bible Translations - including all that you mentioned and many more. I enjoy using the parallel and compare functions to look at numerous translations all at once - side by side being my favorite way with four translations. Currently I have the parallel set to show KJV, ESV, NASB, and NIV. I've been collecting modules for e-Sword almost since it first came out, and I use it hours every day. Some of the newer translations still require a reasonable royalty payment, but plenty is completely free for an outstanding Bible Study package.

Currently, I'm having one of those nights where I'm having trouble going to sleep. My little brother is having open heart surgery this morning in just a couple of hours now. He's having a heart valve replaced with an artificial one. I'm going to try again shortly and at least try to get a nap. I've been praying and doing a lot of thinking about my brother. His name is Joe, and I would sincerely appreciate your prayers if you get a chance.

Didymus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 05:38:26 AM »

Your brother is in my prayers today, sir. I have been under the knife myself a couple of times (not for my heart), so I know how frightening it can be. But when we know that we are in the hands of the great Physician, all will be well.
God bless.

Didymus
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

Your brother is in my prayers today, sir. I have been under the knife myself a couple of times (not for my heart), so I know how frightening it can be. But when we know that we are in the hands of the great Physician, all will be well.
God bless.

Didymus

Thank you sincerely for the prayers. Initial reports are very good. The surgery is over and my sister-in-law says they should have him moved to intensive care soon. So far, I'm assuming the reports indicate that things could not have gone better. I did get some rest and I'm giving thanks. Yes, I know that God was with him.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »

Hello Didymus,

I agree with you. I've used the KJV most of my life and grew up with it, but I'm not a KJY onlyist. I've started using the ESV, NASB, and other translations in recent years and also enjoy making side by side comparisons. I still use the KJV more because of habit and familiarity, but I think that the ESV and the NASB are more accurate. I would view the ESV as the easiest to read and understand.

I very much follow the same pattern of Bible translation use. I use the KJV because many copies reference the Strong's dictionary number for the Greek word definition. It is interesting how many differing Greek words with differing meanings have been translated to mean the same in KJV English.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »

Hello Ollie,

It's great to hear from you. How have you been?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the