Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Serious Charge!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Serious Charge!  (Read 733 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

A Serious Charge!
From Timeless Grace Gems
James Smith, 1842

"You have become weary of Me!" Isaiah 43:22

What a solemn charge is here! And yet who can plead, 'Not guilty?' To be wearied of man — weak, vain, fickle, changing man — is no wonder; but to be weary of God is truly astonishing! How does this charge set forth the deep and awful depravity of human nature. Yet you yourself have known times when you have felt, and manifested this weariness!

See your too frequent neglect of public worship; or your deadness, indifference, or wanderings therein!

See your backwardness to draw near to God in private; or the short time which satisfies you to be found upon your knees before Him!

See your seldom opened Bible, or the lack of interest in its contents; the reluctance with which you sometimes take it up, and the readiness with which you lay it down!

Surely these things, rightly interpreted, say, "You have become weary of Me!"

If weariness arises from physical weakness — it is infirmity. But if weariness arises from disinclination — it is a shameful sin. And can it be, that we have been weary of our God . . .
        whom angels always delight to obey;
        whose service is perfect freedom,
        whose smile is Heaven — and whose frown is Hell?

Oh yes, we have too frequently been weary of God! Let us confess it with shame, contrition, and remorse! Let us not attempt to excuse so fearful a crime — but let us come afresh to that precious blood which cleanses from all sin.

Is it any wonder the Lord has at times hid His face from us — and appeared displeased with us? Is it not rather a wonder He has dealt so gently, so kindly, and so mercifully with us? Oh the patience and forbearance of our God! What a blessing to know that the Lord is not weary of us. "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom!" Isaiah 40:28. He may have spoken against us in some portions of His word, and by some of the dispensations of His providence; but He earnestly remembers us still, and His heart is stirred for us, therefore He will surely have mercy upon us.

We ought to be ashamed, and never more open our mouths by way of boasting, or in self-righteous exultation, or to palliate our crimes; but to be silent under all His dispensations, seeing He is pacified towards us. He is still love — and bears us no ill-will; He is still light — and in Him is no darkness at all. We may well cry out, "How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings!" and pray, "Cause me to hear your loving-kindness in the morning; for in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto You." Then may we say, "The Lord will command His loving-kindness in the day time, and in the night, His song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life!"

Though I have grieved your Spirit, Lord,
            His help and comfort still afford;
            Let me, though vile, approach your throne,
            To plead the merits of your Son.

One hope remains — yes, there I'll cling;
            I'll crouch beneath my Savior's wing!
            I'll clasp His cross; and kneeling there,
            Even me, redeeming love may spare!

PUBLIC DOMAIN - Permission is not required to reproduce this material. Feel free to forward this on to your friends.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the