Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:43:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  need some help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need some help  (Read 6223 times)
cardtricks

god gives and forgives, man gets and forgets

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2004, 10:57:13 PM »

i am working on a "talk" on the "Jesus feeds 5000" story..... i need some help with the info
i also am confused at some of the stuff and think others might be confused too, so i might relate it into the talk
1. why does Jesus take the problem mainly to Philip? my best observation is---(because Jesus probably knew that he would be the worst for the job, and knew that Philip couldnt imagine a way to feed them without the use of money)
thanks
Gary

but anyways, any help and good information and openions will be appreciated

p.s. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "q" and "r" were eliminated
cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 07:34:28 PM »

shirley someone knows this story well......  Cry

p.s. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "q" and "r" were eliminated
Reba
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 08:34:12 PM »

CT,

To tell the truth i have never given it any thought as to why He singled out Philip.  Seems none of the disciples knew He could feed all those folks. Maybe its as simple as Philip was the one standing there.... was philip a treasurer of the group?  Jesus knew  what Philips response would be He knew his personility....

On a different topic in 1958  T Texas Tyler came to Dads church he did a 'skit'  on the deck of cards and the Bible.
I dont rememeber much ... things like... 4 aces 4 gosples... 12 disciples plus Jesus = 13 as in 13 in a suit....   I just was wonderin if you had ever heard of it....
cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

no i havent,,,,,,,,, but i could give you an intire history on a deck of playing cards
4 suits = 4 seasons
13 cards in each suit = 13 phases of the moon
if you add the pips (value) together they add up to 364 + the joker 365 = 365 days in a year
but anyways, i do have a trick planned to have a visual
of course i explain the difference between my trick and his miracle

the trick is an empty pot with a lid is on the table, i put cardboard cutouts of the loaves and fish, cover the pot with the lid; open it and it is full with real fish and real bread (or goldfish crackers, and cinnamin toast crunch cereal)

Gary

Fewarechosen7F

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 09:49:20 AM »

Just before the feeding of the 5000, John had been beheaded, and Yesha (Jesus) knew that Herodeous had been given John's head. Yeshua had gone into the desert to be alone to pray. (Was he battling Herodeous for John's head?). The 5000 who followed him were the disciples of John.

I wonder if they had chosen to become Yeshua's disciples now that John was gone? If so, ALL had repented sin, which would have been a factor in the feeding of the 5000.

Anne
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 10:41:29 AM »

Mat 14:3  For Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife.

Kind of ironic that in the book of Matthew it says that Herod's brother's name was Philip.

It's only in the book of John that mentions Philip with respect to the feeding of the 5000. All the others say "the disciples" or "they" or "them". Makes you wonder why.

Gracey    † †

†† Guided by God ††
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 05:55:36 PM »

i am working on a "talk" on the "Jesus feeds 5000" story..... i need some help with the info
i also am confused at some of the stuff and think others might be confused too, so i might relate it into the talk
1. why does Jesus take the problem mainly to Philip? my best observation is---(because Jesus probably knew that he would be the worst for the job, and knew that Philip couldnt imagine a way to feed them without the use of money)
thanks
Gary

It was about 5000 men beside women and children.

Support your local Christian.
Reba
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 06:32:06 PM »

Over in Acts chapter 6    sorta around  verse 5   we can see where Phipip was asked to take care of  the money end of the  begining church.

I dont know if this is the same Philip or not.
cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 10:18:39 PM »

i knew about the 5000 men thing, this is turning out to be pretty diffucult
thanks for the replies so far Smiley
Gary

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 02:07:41 AM »

thanks
Gary

It's hard to understand why anyone would be "confused" about the feeding of the 5,000. Note that the apostle John carefully selected only seven miracles of Christ [seven being the number of Divine perfection], and one of them is this miracle. The reason why Christ asked Philip about where they should "buy" bread was to test his faith (v.6) -- "to prove him" -- as the Lord tests every believer's faith. Later in the Gospel of John we find that Philip wants Christ to "show us the Father" since he was not fully persuaded that Jesus of Nazareth is the revelation of the Father in human form. Thus Christ gently rebuked him for his incomplete faith.  

The fact is, that even though the Lord had earlier on empowered the apostles to heal, cast out demons and preach the Gospel (Mark 6:7-13,30-31), they had not matured in their faith to the point of saying "Lord, you can feed these five thousand just as easily as you empowered us to do those miracles -- it is nothing for you to feed this people, just as it was nothing for God to feed His people with manna in the wilderness".

Had the apostles told the multitude de to sit down and they would be fed, their faith in the Lord would have been complete or perfect.  We can learn a lesson from this, since too many Christians do not expect miracles from the Lord when that should be the most natural thing in the world.  Are you expecting miracles from the Lord today?

Your speculation about Philip is unfounded, since if you turn to John 1:43-46, you find that Philip immediately obeyed Christ's command to follow Him, and at the same time told Nathanael that Jesus of Nazareth was the long-awaited Messiah. That was faith indeed! If anything, Philip was one of the most eager and devout apostles of the Lord. BTW, Philip was not the treasurer of the apostles and Christ, but rather Judas Iscariot.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 11:21:26 PM »

i dont know what to say sower, if i offended you by the way i enterpreted it, i am sorry
that is why i posted here, for help
Gary

Reba
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 11:54:02 PM »

Your never wrong for askign questions... cards keep asking.

cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 07:25:56 AM »

reba,,,,,,,,, i love that icon that you used!!

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 09:06:30 AM »

i dont know what to say sower, if i offended you by the way i enterpreted it, i am sorry
that is why i posted here, for help
Gary

Gary:

You misunderstood what I said.  There was no offence given or taken.  Perhaps it's just the way it was said.  I hope my response helped you to get a little more insight into this tremendous miracle. Keep asking and don't be concerned about giving offence, since everyone has honest questions and needs honest answers.

Sower

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
cardtricks

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »

thanks for the reply, it was a really long day, so i kind of read that thinking it was mad,,,, you do have some good points in there
thanks
Gary

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the