Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Who`s Disciples Are We?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who`s Disciples Are We?  (Read 3857 times)
The Crusader
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 06:01:10 AM »

Following the teachings of Paul is following Christ. Aren't the Epistles of Paul inspired? Following the distinct ministry of Paul is not following a man. It is anything but that. It is simply recognizing the fact that our Lord Jesus Christ called Paul from heaven with a distinct ministry. We could easily ask, " Is one following Matthew when one points out something on Matthew?" Christ wrote no book while on earth. Christ did not write Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc. He did, however call others to write the scriptures. Rightly dividing the Word is not an option, it is a command. (2Tim. 2:15)

Your friend and brother

The Crusader
<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 06:52:30 PM »

Following the teachings of Paul is following Christ. Aren't the Epistles of Paul inspired? Following the distinct ministry of Paul is not following a man. It is anything but that. It is simply recognizing the fact that our Lord Jesus Christ called Paul from heaven with a distinct ministry. We could easily ask, " Is one following Matthew when one points out something on Matthew?" Christ wrote no book while on earth. Christ did not write Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc. He did, however call others to write the scriptures. Rightly dividing the Word is not an option, it is a command. (2Tim. 2:15)

Your friend and brother

The Crusader
<Smiley))><

AAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
The Crusader
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 05:30:01 AM »

When did the Body of Christ begin?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Body of Christ started with the conversion of Saul (whose name was changed to Paul in Acts 13) on the road to Damascus. God calls out Paul, the chief of sinners, (I Timothy 1:15) and reveals to him (Galatians 1:11-12) the Dispensation of Grace.

The Apostle Paul writes to us in I Timothy 1 about the beginning of the Body of Christ. .

I Timothy 1:16: (emphasis is mine)

16: Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting

Notice how Paul says that the pattern was first set with him. Paul was the first one placed into the Body of Christ. Not second or third, but first.

<Smiley))><
The Crusader
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 05:36:42 AM »

I follow the Apostle Paul, as he instructs me to do in several passages. Paul is the Apostle sent to the Gentiles (Acts 9: 15; Romans 11:13) and was given the doctrine of the grace of God which he has written down and passed on to us in the Word of God (Acts 26:19; Ephesians 3:1-9; Galatians 1:11-12).

Furthermore, the Apostle Paul tells us in I Corinthians 4:16

"16: Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me."

In addition, in I Corinthians 11:1 "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ."

Paul says this because he knows that he is our pattern (I Timothy 1:15-16). When we follow Paul, we are in reality following Jesus Christ. Notice Romans 16:25:

25: Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

The interesting thing here is that Paul tells us to follow him as he (and we) preached Jesus Christ. Notice though that Paul gives a clarification statement "…according to the revelation of the mystery…" We are to preach Christ according to His heavenly ministry not earthly ministry.

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 09:22:05 AM »

(Unless I am misreading the original question.)  

If you are, then so am I.

Mat 10:24  The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.

So who is the lord? And who is the servant?

Sorry, I too think Paul is a wonderful teacher, but Jesus Christ is the Lord, Paul is the servant.

Gracey  Smiley

†† Guided by God ††
The Crusader
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 09:26:25 AM »

One more time, Paul says this because he knows that he is our pattern (I Timothy 1:15-16). When we follow Paul, we are in reality following Jesus Christ. Notice Romans 16:25:

25: Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 10:31:43 AM »

One more time, Paul says this because he knows that he is our pattern (I Timothy 1:15-16). When we follow Paul, we are in reality following Jesus Christ. Notice Romans 16:25:

I didn't mean to sound dense....I understand all that.

But when someone askes me whose disciple I am, I don't usually say "Paul's".

Gracey  † Peace †

†† Guided by God ††
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2004, 12:25:15 PM »

Paul's living word?
 And all this time i thought the Bible was God's Word ...That Jesus is/was the Word...........  poor silly me

Some one please esplane to me how i am miss understanding this .....
It works through Paul's living word inspired of the Holy Spirit.
Christians are disciples of Jesus Christ who adhere to His word through the inspired word of His apostles and others.

Does, "inspired of the Holy Spirit" make Paul's word living?

Does the fact that Christ's disciples adhere to His word through the inspired word of the apostles and others make Paul's, inspired of God, word living?

Any way I was not trying to convey that Paul's word in and of himself was living but the word of God that was inspired through Paul the apostle of God's Son.

Ollie  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 12:41:01 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 07:33:52 AM »

Does  the Greek word [translated] 'followers'—actually mean 'imitate?

"Paul said, 'Be ye followers of me, even as I follow Christ.' And so, in following his example, we follow Christ."

"WHY do people seem always to want to follow a MAN?"  Huh

Rightly dividing the Word of Truth  Huh

mini gods  Huh

Paul was merely a human instrument, NOWHERE does your Bible tell you to RELY on MEN.... Your Bible tells you NOT TO PUT YOUR TRUST IN MEN (Ps. 146:3). And we need to remember—even a apostle or minister of Jesus Christ—a true one whom the living Christ has used or uses—is/was JUST AS HUMAN AS YOU ARE.

To quote H.W. Armstrong, and I agree fully with him:
"Too many people look on apostles or ministers (or might I add priests) as  holy, superhuman, saintly, infallible righteous sort of people who are surely not HUMAN. They seem to think a apostle or minister (or priest) is not like other humans—that he is/was ABOVE SIN!  This can get to be a sort of WORSHIP, of making an apostle or minister,  another god BEFORE the Almighty GOD, That can become IDOLATRY!"

I am not a follower of any MAN—but of CHRIST!

All I see with all the focus on  Paul, and might I add Mary, is that the focus is taken off Christ, it could be I`m amoung the few who see something wrong with that picture.  Huh

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 08:29:46 AM »

Matthew 4:19
And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Matthew 8:22
But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

Matthew 9:9
As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.

Matthew 10:38
and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Mark 1:17
And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you become fishers of men."

Mark 2:14
And as he passed on, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.

Mark 8:34
And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Mark 10:21
And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Luke 5:27
After this he went out, and saw a tax collector, named Levi, sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, "Follow me."

Luke 9:23
And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

Luke 9:59
To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."

Luke 18:22
And when Jesus heard it, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

John 1:43
The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. And he found Philip and said to him, "Follow me."

John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me;

John 12:26
If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.

John 13:36
Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered, "Where I am going you cannot follow me now; but you shall follow afterward."

John 21:19
(This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me."

John 21:22
Jesus said to him, "If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!"

Are we getting the drift yet?  Wink

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »

Those who (attempt to) follow Christ are usually called Christians - little Christs.

So should those who follow Paul be little Pauls?  But then, doesn't Paul mean small anyway?  So what are we left with - microscopic?   Just a thought.  Grin

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
The Crusader
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 05:43:30 AM »

<Smiley))><
The Crusader
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 05:55:54 AM »

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE EYES, BUT DO "NOT" SEE...

I follow the Apostle Paul, as he instructs me to do in several passages. Paul is the Apostle sent to the Gentiles (Acts 9: 15; Romans 11:13) and was given the doctrine of the grace of God which he has written down and passed on to us in the Word of God (Acts 26:19; Ephesians 3:1-9; Galatians 1:11-12).

Furthermore, the Apostle Paul tells us in I Corinthians 4:16

In addition, in I Corinthians 11:1 "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ."

Paul says this because he knows that he is our pattern (I Timothy 1:15-16). When we follow Paul, we are in reality following Jesus Christ. Notice Romans 16:25:

The interesting thing here is that Paul tells us to follow him as he (and we) preached Jesus Christ. Notice though that Paul gives a clarification statement "…according to the revelation of the mystery…" We are to preach Christ according to His heavenly ministry not earthly ministry.

<Smiley))><

We are to preach Christ according to His heavenly ministry not earthly ministry.

We are to preach Christ according to His heavenly ministry not earthly ministry.

<Smiley))><

The Crusader
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 05:59:53 AM »

The mission and commission of the Church, "which is His body," is to proclaim the message of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:14-21), and to preach Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery (Rom. 16:25, Eph. 3:8-9) with all boldness. In this, we should follow the Apostle Paul (1 Cor. 4:16, 1 Cor. 11:1, Phil. 3:17, Phil. 4:9, 1 Tim. 1:11-16). That distinctive message which the Apostle of the Gentiles (Rom. 11:13, Rom. 15:16) calls, "my gospel" (Rom. 2:16, Rom. 16:25) is also called, "the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24). We, like Paul, must preach the entire Word of God in light of this gospel (2 Tim. 4:2, Gal. 1:8-9), and strive to reach those in the regions beyond where Christ is not yet named (Rom. 15:20, 2 Cor. 10:16).

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2004, 07:02:12 AM »

Paul tells the Corinthians "be ye followers of me".

You could repeat that a million different ways, and as far as I can tell,  it's still not going to make me consider myself a follower of Paul.

Paul does not yet live. Maybe, while he was living; that would be no different than John the Baptist having followers; then, yes I could agree. But not now. Christ is the only Living Word.

Christ Lives! and it is HE that I will follow, not someone who follows Him.

On the other hand, it could simply be in the word "follow":

verb:
- to travel beind, to go or come after
- be later in time
- travel along a certain course
- act in accordance with someone's rules, commands, or wishes
- behave in accordance or agreement with

There's more, but that will do.

The first 3 definitions of "follow" would allow me to say "I follow Paul", the same as it would allow me to say "I follow John, or Timothy, or my 10th grade typing teacher".

But then there's 4th definition "in accordance with someon'es rules, commands" - I guess this is where I would without hesitation say "I follow Jesus".

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the