Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Breaking Bread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking Bread  (Read 5399 times)
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

Hey Ladies (and guys)!

With the weather turning to spring and summer to follow, can you say "Christian", "Church", or "Fellowship" without thinking of the word "POTLUCK"?  I can't!

If you have a favorite receipe for potlucks, family get-together's, or just for everyday fare, lets share it here.  I know that I get tired of the same old thing and you probably do to!

A favorite of mine and my family is one of the first that I ever learned how to cook as very young newlywed.  I got it from the famous red plaid Betty Crocker cookbook that I think every bride gets as a wedding gift!  I'll start this thread of with that.  I hope you will try it.  I think you will enjoy it and it's really easy:

Lazy Day Lasagna

10-12 cooked, rinsed & drained lasagna noodles
1 lg carton of cottage cheese (I like to use the non-fat kind)
Mozzarella (shredded or sheets, packaged)
Spaghetti sauce (bottled or homemade, I like to add whatever I have: onions, mushrooms etc.)
9x13” casserole dish

Layer, in long baking dish, in order:
Noodles, large dots of cottage cheese, Mozzarella, spaghetti sauce.  Do this twice using half the ingredients each time.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.

Option:  I like to add fresh or drained frozen spinach to mine!

The trick is to not over do the sauce or it will come out runny.  Just put enough sauce on to cover the casserole.
Tip: If you get the Mozzarella in sheets, it comes 3/pkg so get two.

Let this sit for a few minutes while you heat the French bread, set the table, etc and it will be firmer when you cut and serve it.

Let us fight the good fight!
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »

I should add that I'm a BIG fan of the crock pot!  So if you have some great recipes for that PLEASE share it.

Grammyluv

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »

I should add that I'm a BIG fan of the crock pot!  So if you have some great recipes for that PLEASE share it.

Grammyluv

I copied the above recipe for my wife, and I'll let you know.

I'm also a big fan of the crock pot and especially love slow-cooked beef and vegetable stews. I really don't think that a recipe is necessary the way that we do it. In fact, we're enjoying a "throw in everything" slow cooked beef and vegetable stew right now. Off the top of my head:  beef stew meat cut into small cubes, corn, green beans, butter beans, sliced carrots, green peas, sliced celery, sliced onions, stewed tomatoes, cubed potatoes, water (to taste: beef bullion cubes, sea salt, fresh ground pepper). Slow cook in your crock pot for 4 hours or more - at least until the vegetables are no longer crunchy. We like hot cornbread with ours and usually make enough for two meals. I must add that it's actually better when warmed up the second and third time. Something special happens with the tastes of all the vegetables coming together in a beef broth, and I think this is one of those dishes that is hard to mess up. If you have other favorite vegetables, throw them in. Stop about half-way and taste the broth. If it needs more flavor, add a couple more beef bullion cubes, more sea salt, or more fresh ground pepper. This is one of those recipes that can be different every time and very healthy for you. Even the men can make this one and not mess it up.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »

Brother Tom, my mouth is watering!  Casseroles, Stews and Homemade soups are my favorites!  I like a little jalopeno cornbread on the side or a grilled cheese sandwich depending.  Yep.  It's pretty hard to mess up a soup or stew and the crock pot is the way to go even if you don't know how to cook.  Just throw everything in and forget about until dinner time!  Yummy!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »

Speaking of Homemade soups:  I've got some leftover roasted chicken boiling on the stove right now in preparation of some chicken soup for this cold Seattle day!  Just the smell of the steam is making my mouth water.  I'll add to that meal later today, some green salad and a grilled cheese sandwich and I'll "have it going on" as the young folks say!  Yum, yum!

I suppose I should tell you how I'm making it since this is a "share your recipe" thread.

Lets see: I do it different every time depending on what I have on hand.

So right now I have a large pot simmering, after having been brought to a boil, with just water and leftover roast chicken, bones, skin and all.  Then I will strain that in a colinder to another large pot to save all the juices, and I will pick out the bones and skin to toss adding the chicken back in.
Then I will add poultry seasoning, garlic and onion salt, parsley, pepper, Italian seasoning and whatever frozen veggies I have.  I will add chicken boullion if it needs more flavor and a handful of brown rice or noodles.  Whatever strikes my fancy when the time comes!
I will let that simmer for about an hour and then serve it up in a BIG bowl because by that time I will have been savoring the aroma all day I'll be pretty hungry!

In the mean time I have some sewing to do because that is what Grammies do on Saturdays!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »

GrammyLuv - It sounds finger-lickin, lip-smackin good. I might have another one to share soon.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

Several hours later.......

It's SOUP!  And yummy, is it ever good.  Forgot to tell you to add celery salt also.  An important ingredient when cooking chicken.  I went with the noodles, since I used rice last time.

Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »

Two of my favorite seasonings are garlic salt and lemon pepper. If it's just salt that I need, I prefer sea salt. I think it's much better for you and has a great taste.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

Oh yes, I love Lemon Pepper two.  It goes great with fish and chicken.  I don't use salt when I'm cooking, because I'm always trying to watch my weight, (not that it helps!)  So I always use lots of seasonings

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the