Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  We Were Soldiers.. Staring Mel Gibson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We Were Soldiers.. Staring Mel Gibson  (Read 1546 times)
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2004, 09:09:46 AM »

i havent been here for awile but  was wondering if anyone else has seen this movie? i saw it twice now and have been online looking at some sites and gone into some research on the vietnam war and the soldiers ect, This movie has truly changed my outlook on life, im now getting the book sent to me from the library. I definitly think this movie is something for everyone to see
http://www.virtualwall.org/units/IaDrang.htm

what did yous all think of it?
TL

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:23 AM »

Tigerlily;
I read the book, and then I saw the movie.  (As always – the book is better - very, very good book.)  Smiley

It did have an impact on me.  It was not only very intense, but also had a lot of compassion.  I liked the way it showed the war from the perspective of each side of the line.

I also appreciated the fact the Colonel (Mel Gibson) was Catholic, and his wife was Presbyterian(?) (Who says Catholics and Protestants can't get along!) and the prayer scenes with the kids, and the prayer scene with the Colonel and the young lieutenant.  

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 04:37:08 PM »

Yes those scenes were really moving, one of the scenes that really did it for me to was when "jack" died trying to save a fellow officers body and Colonel (mel) found his body still wearing the bracelte from his daughter.. im truly looking forward to the book., i have found many very interesting sites about the soldiers that died and the familes ect, i have also been in touch via email with Mr joe galloway the reporter soldier..  I have decided along with a close friend of mine to do war research of the different wars.. and make  it into something that our kids an read and understand what and why ect, its a true shame that so many of the vet's are dying off without thier stories being told..
TL

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 04:47:04 PM »

TL -
Some other reading (even though this is a MOVIE thread - sorry everyone)  Smiley you might want to look into:

Band of Brothers (It was the HBO series - great book!)
Flyboys (Fairly new, about WWII Pacific flyers - including former President Bush)
Faith Under Fire (Various stories of believers in battle)
In Harm's Way (About the sinking of the USS Indianapolis)
Ghost Soldiers (About the original Rangers and their mission to free POWs held by the Japanese)

They are all non-fiction and I found them all to be very good reading if not down right inspirational!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:56:37 PM »

thank u so much for that list,, im gona go to the public library here tomorrow and see if i can find them, your right these kinds of stories are so inspiring,  TY  for  this..
( yes forgive  us for the book chat on this thread lol,, )

Smiley TL

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 10:11:57 PM »

That is a good Movie. The best part is when the young officer and the Top exchange comments.

“Good day sir!”
“What so G@&$ D@#& good about it?”

“Beauitful day out”
“What are you now, a F&@# weather man?”

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 10:19:08 PM »

Mr. Tibs:
Sam Elliott was great in that part!!!  That was hil-lar-ious!
(It's not often you see Sam Elliott in something other than a made-for-TV western.)

Sorry to break your heart here, dude;  in the movie he lived - but in real life (the book fills in all the gaps) he died in that combat operation...

so, so sad - war sucks SO much.

JPD
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 11:50:48 AM »

ohh no,, oh man that is not so cool, @ him dying in that combat, man...
ok that part that sam  does is hysterical,, but i loved his reply to that same soldier when  they were rescued after being choked off from the rest of the platoon... that was cool and also when "mel" says he wondered how that other guy( name has meft me) felt after leading his men into a ambush, and sam says: ------- was a pussy"  you aint! lol very cool!!
oh and JN, i cannot even order that book Faith Under Fire at my public library,, it says not available.. sigh, im not impressed!! but i can get most all the others with in a week or so!  again ty for your assistance in getting the book names! Wink
TL

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the