Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Prescription Shop
| | |-+  Light for Dark Days
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Light for Dark Days  (Read 709 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »

Light for Dark Days
From Timeless Grace Gems
By James Smith, 1859

PREFACE

There are dark days of ignorance, in which the mind needs to be enlightened by Divine truth, that the feet may be guided into the way of peace. It is then a kindness, to lift up the lamp of God's Word, to enlighten the poor dark mind; and to direct the eye to Jesus, the glorious luminary, who came a light into the world, that whoever believes in him should not walk in darkness, but should have the light of life.

There are days of trouble, in which the troubled one needs the supports and consolations of God's gracious covenant. At such times the heart needs to be led to the promises, doctrines, and sweet assurances of the everlasting gospel; for we are apt to forget what would cheer us, while we brood over what is calculated to deject and cast us down. The light of one precious promise, has often chased away the darkness of doubt and gloom, in some of the Christian's saddest hours.

And there are dark days of sorrow too, sorrow of heart, which nothing can reach, but that which touches the center of man's hopes and fears. There is comfort in Jesus - but the sorrowful need to be led to it. There is comfort in the gospel - but the downcast and saddened spirit needs to be reminded of it. God comforts those who are cast down - but he does it by means, and often by the most simple means. He comforted Paul by the coming of Titus, and he has often comforted us by a brother's word. Let us, therefore, endeavor to comfort one another, with God's own comforting words.

This little book is called "Light for Dark Days" because it is intended to lead sinners to Jesus, that they may have the light of life; and to lead believers nearer to Jesus, that they may be happy in his love. May the Holy Spirit, the enlightener of the sinner, and the Comforter of the believer, bless this feeble attempt; that poor sinners may be made holy - and sorrowful Christians may be made happy. Gracious God, bless what is written here to the good of souls, and to your own glory for Jesus' sake.
        James Smith

Abundance of Grace

"Abundant grace." 2 Corinthians 4:15

"The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly." 1 Timothy 1:14

Grace IN God is the loving tendency of his nature to pity the miserable, pardon the guilty, and bless the unworthy. It is the graciousness of God. Now our God is the God of grace - the God of all grace. He is naturally inclined to sympathize with the suffering, and to confer blessings on the unworthy. The grace of God lies at the foundation of salvation, and is the hidden spring from which flows every good and perfect gift. If God were not gracious - then man could have no hope; we would never have heard of a Savior, or found a way of escape from the wrath to come.

Grace FROM God comprises every good thing that is bestowed on sinners, whether temporal or spiritual; but it particularly more refers to those spiritual blessings with which he has blessed us in Christ, and which he freely bestows on the most unworthy through Christ. Grace never looks for any payment from its object - but gives, simply because it will give, for its own honor and glory.

God has grace to confer on sinners - grace provided and laid up, on purpose to give to those who cannot merit, who do not deserve:

grace which just meets man's condition;
        grace which supplies all his needs;
        grace to make him alive from the dead;
        grace to pardon him as guilty;
        grace to cleanse him as polluted;
        grace to supply him as needy;
        grace to elevate him as depraved;
        grace to protect him as defenseless;
        grace to crown him with everlasting glory!

In a word, grace to work in him, grace to work by him, grace to confer on him, and grace to glorify him.

The grace which God has provided - he has revealed. The gospel is called "the glad tidings of the grace of God." It tells us there is grace in God, and grace in God for sinners - sinners of every class, climate, or color - grace for sinners as sinners, nothing but sinners, in whom there is no good thing, and by whom no good thing has ever been done. The gospel presents grace to sinners, and invites them to receive it; the very grace that suits their case, and meets their condition. The grace that the gospel presents, includes all the good things that a sinner can need - or God can consistently give; and it presents all as free, without money and without price. The grace of the gospel is to be received and enjoyed; received by whoever will, and enjoyed by all that receive it.

And to encourage us, the Apostle assures us there is "abundance of grace." Many have received - but there is an abundance still. However much you need - there is an abundance to supply your need. It is not the abundance of some large vessel, it is the abundance of the ocean! It is not the abundance of some artificial light - but the abundance of the sun! There is enough for every one, there is enough for all.

This abundant grace will pardon any sin, and all sin. It will save any sinner, or all sinners; for sinners do not perish because grace cannot save them; but, as Jesus said to the Jews, "You will not come unto me, that you might have life." So may we say to sinners who perish under the sound of the gospel, "You would not come for grace which God had promised, nor receive the grace which is in the gospel he presented to you."

Nor is it because grace would not be given, for it would. As Jesus said to the carnal selfish Jews, "Labor not for the food which perishes - but for that food which endures unto everlasting life, which the son of man shall give unto you." Nothing can be plainer than this. Jesus was willing to give unto them - but they were unwilling to receive. Jesus was authorised by the Father to give unto them - but they would not receive it from His hands.

Just in the same manner he expresses his willingness to give, when man is willing to receive, in His words to the woman of Samaria, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that says unto you, Give me to drink, you would have asked, and he would have given you living water." So now Jesus, who is full of grace and truth, is both ready and willing to give grace to any and every sinner who is willing to receive grace from Him, and, as He exhorted the Jews to believe on Him, so that they might have everlasting life, so He exhorts sinners now, and says "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

There is an "abundance of grace" then, and that grace is for sinners, for great sinners; yes, for the greatest sinners, the vilest of sinners. It was first offered at Jerusalem. Here the market of free grace was opened, and the proclamation was made by inspired Apostle, "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost!"

Here is the article, the grace that saves, sanctifies and satisfies! And here is the price - no money, that is, it is gratuitous - you may have it for nothing. Sinner, great sinner, miserable sinner, poverty-stricken sinner, here is grace for you, on purpose for you, and there is abundance of it too. Come then, come to Jesus, come without delay, He will give you grace and glory - grace now, and glory at the close of life! Let no one doubt, for there is plenty; God calls it "abundant grace." Let no one fear, for all are welcome! God says "Whoever will may come and take freely."

Here is grace to blot out your sins;
        grace to renew your heart;
        grace to disperse your doubts;
        grace to strengthen you for conflict and duty;
        grace to save you fully, freely, and forever!

Come then, as guilty as you are - as hard hearted as you are - as timid and fearful as you are - as weak and wavering as you are - as lost and ruined as you are - come to Jesus, and come just as you are, that you may obtain mercy, and find grace to help you in time of need!

O SINNER, would to God I could persuade you to come to this fullness of grace - to come while the Lord waits to be gracious - to come and obtain mercy - to come and be saved by simple faith in Christ. "For by grace are you saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast!" If you should perish - if you are lost forever! O fearful supposition! If you at last sent away into everlasting punishment, it will not be because there is not grace enough in God to save you, or because Christ was not willing to save you, or because you had not heard of the abundance of grace there is to save sinners, or because you were not warned to flee from the wrath to come, or because you were not invited or exhorted to come to Jesus and be saved by His grace - but simply because you obstinately refused - you simply would not come to Jesus! You chose eternal death, in the error of your way.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

Light for Dark Days
From Timeless Grace Gems
By James Smith, 1859

TRIED Christian, there is "abundance of grace" for you!
        Grace to help you in time of need;
        grace to enable you to carry your cross after Jesus;
        grace to sanctify your trials and troubles;
        grace to enable you to glorify God in the fires!

FEEBLE believer, there is "abundance of grace" for you! It is in Jesus, and in Jesus for you. The little grace you have received has brought you out of the world, has led you to His cross, and has enabled you to trust your immortal interests in His hands. But your faith is weak, your fears are strong, your doubts are painful, your inward conflicts are severe, and you often think you shall be obliged to give up all for lost. But hear what the Apostle James says, "He gives more grace!" He who gave you what you have - will give you more. Fear not, for the grace of God is sufficient for you, and He will make His strength perfect in your weakness. He is able to do exceeding and abundantly above all that we can ask or think; yes, He is able to subdue all things unto himself. Look to Jesus, and He will save you. Yes, He will save you from sin, from Satan, and from a deserved hell; He will save you now, and save you with an everlasting salvation; and all of His grace, of His free, sovereign, and abundant grace!

There is an "abundance of grace" for all TIMES. None of us know what is before us; but times and seasons will change. There are seasons of darkness - as well as light; seasons of conflict - as well as peace; seasons of trial - as well as triumph; seasons of sickness - as well as health - and at last there is the hour of death! But there is that in grace which will suit us under all circumstances, and there is grace sufficient for us, whatever trials we may have to pass through.

There is an "abundance of grace" for all PLACES. Some live and die in their fatherland, some emigrate to a foreign climate, some of us are almost stationary, others are almost always traveling about. But wherever we may be situated, the God of grace is with us, the throne of grace is before us, the promise of grace is in our hand, and there is "abundance of grace" for us! Precious consideration this!

Be where I may, be what I may - there is grace, abundance of grace, for me! I may be far from relations and friends - but I shall be near to my God. I may be far from Christian ordinances - but the God of grace will be with me. I may be tossed on the billows of the mighty deep - but God who holds the waters in the hollow of His hand is my God still, and will give me strength equal to my day! I may be in poverty, or I may be bereaved of my beloved relatives and friends, the shadow of death may be thrown over my prospects, or I may be unexpectedly called upon to cross the Jordan; but whatever happens, there is still an ABUNDANCE OF GRACE, and that grace is sufficient for me!

I will not, therefore, look too much at my circumstances; yes, I will not look so much at the grace that I have already received - as the grace that is in Christ! Grace in me is a drop - grace in Christ an ocean! Grace in me may be exhausted - but grace in Christ never can be! O my soul, keep your eye steadily fixed on the ocean of grace which is in the heart of Jesus, and seek to be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, however weak in yourself, or whatever discouragements may lie in the way!

Graceless sinner, one more word with you before I lay down my pen, for my soul longs to be of use to you. You need salvation, and nothing can save you but God's grace. But grace can, for grace is omnipotent! Yes, grace can save you. That grace that is in Jesus - can save you today. There are no insurmountable obstacles in the way of your salvation. No one can prevent you being saved but yourself. If you perish - it must be your own act and deed. If you die this second death, you must be a spiritual suicide! God will say to you, when you appear before Him in judgement, "Sinner, you have destroyed yourself!"

The angels that drive you from the presence of the Lord to the pit of quenchless fire, will say, "O sinner, miserable sinner, you have destroyed yourself!"

And the devils who receive you at the gates of hell, and who will be your everlasting tormentors, will say when you shriek with agony, cry from the depths of torment, and howl from the horrors of despair, O sinner, miserable sinner, you have destroyed yourself!" With this they will taunt your tortured spirit forever!

And from the deep dark vaults of hell, and from the gloomy chambers of your guilty conscience too, the awful words will be echoed, O sinner, miserable sinner, you have destroyed yourself!"

Oh sinner, sinner, sinner, before it is too late, let me beseech you that you do not receive the gospel of the grace of God in vain; but while there is "abundance of grace" to save you - seek and secure the salvation of your immortal soul!!!

An All-sufficient Savior

A poor Christian had been brought to the gates of death by disease of the heart - but, contrary to all expectation, he rallied, and was once more able to attend to his secular duties, and enjoy his Christian privileges. Just at this time his wife was seized with rheumatic fever, and laid helpless on her bed. During his own illness he had enjoyed the presence of his God, and all was peace. But now his mind became dark and confused, his soul was troubled; he could not rest on the promises, or enjoy the privilege of prayer. The sun was gone down, and gloom brooded over his soul. He cried - but there appeared to be none to help; yes, to the Lord - but he answered him not. This continued for a season, until one night, in the room where his afflicted wife lay, he felt that he must wrestle with God until he prevailed. He stood, he pleaded, he prayed. Time glided away - but there he was still pleading the name of Jesus. At length, as if some angel of mercy had come into the room, and stood at his side, it seemed as if a sweet voice whispered these words into his ear, "AN ALL-SUFFICIENT SAVIOR!"

He recognized, not the voice of an angel - but the voice of the Holy Spirit; and, in an moment, darkness fled, gloom departed, trouble ceased, and joy, peace, love, and gratitude, filled his soul. One sweet thought after another rolled into his mind, he fed on the hidden manna, he sat down under his Savior's shadow with delight, and his fruit was sweet unto his taste. How precious was Jesus now! How light was his affliction now! He could take up his cross and carry it, not only with quiet patience - but with songs of joy. "Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness." The Lord still loves the poor, and despises not his prisoners. He never said to the seed of wrestling Jacob "Seek my face in vain?" but he says, "Call unto me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things which you know not!"

Is my reader one of the Lord's tried ones? Are you in affliction, or temptation, or under some dark cloud? Despair not! Despair not! Look up! Plead with God. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently. Hope in God, for you shall yet praise Him. Remember this glorious truth, JESUS IS AN ALL-SUFFICIENT SAVIOR! Your faith may be weak, your fears may be strong, your troubles may be great, your trials may be many - but Jesus is your Savior! He has all you need - and has it for you. He is all you can want - and he will glorify himself in you. Keep the eye fixed on him. He loves hearty, importunate prayers.

He will appear, for he has promised to do so. He must answer you, for his word is pledged. Blessed forever be his dear name, he will be with us in trouble; in six troubles will he deliver, and in seven he will not forsake us!

The Lord Jesus is a refuge for the afflicted, a refuge in the times of trouble. His eye is upon his tried ones, and his ears are open unto their cry. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears them, and saves them out of all their troubles! To the sinner, who is for the first time seeking mercy; and to the believer, who has proved his power and his pity a thousand times, he is alike AN ALL-SUFFICIENT SAVIOR! Holy Spirit, speak home these precious words to our hearts, and unfold them to the eyes of our understanding, that we may be filled with all joy and peace in believing!

The blood of Jesus is an all-sufficient atonement for our sins. It pays the full penalty. It expiates forever all our guilt. Through it God looks down on us in love, and is propitious to us. However great, however numerous our sins, if we receive the atonement which Jesus has made, if we rely on it alone for our acceptance with God, if we plead it at the throne of grace - our sins are all forgiven, and our iniquities are blotted out! This precious blood of Jesus, who is God's dear Son, cleanses us from all sin!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »

Light for Dark Days
From Timeless Grace Gems
By James Smith, 1859

The obedience of Jesus is an all-sufficient righteousness. It goes to the end of the law. It meets all the requirements of God as the righteous law-giver. It is sufficient to justify any sinner, and every sinner, who receives it by faith, as it is presented in the everlasting gospel. We need nothing more to satisfy the requirements of divine justice, to silence the accusations of Satan, and to give us a title to everlasting life! The one obedience of Jesus makes many righteous. Faith in him justifies us from all things, and, being justified by faith, we have peace with God.

The grace of Jesus Christ is all-sufficient to enable us to live a godly life. Without Jesus, we can do nothing; but we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. His grace was sufficient for Paul, and it is sufficient for us. Through divine grace - he could endure afflictions with patience, suffer persecutions with joy, bear privations with contempt, triumph over the love of life, and meet death with courage and with comfort.

So we, if we come boldly and daily to the throne of grace, shall find grace to help us in time of need! Grace to sanctify our trials, and sustain us under every load. Grace to conquer our foes, and contentedly carry our cross, be it what it may. Grace to make us useful in life, and peaceful and happy in death. The grace that is in Jesus, if received from Jesus through faith and prayer - will conform us to Jesus, even before we depart to be with him. We can do anything through grace, or bear anything through grace - though we can do nothing without it!

The love of Jesus is an all-sufficient source of comfort and consolation! Love is always sweet and soothing - but the love of Jesus is exquisitely so! To be loved by Jesus is the highest honor we can possess. To enjoy the love of Jesus is the sweetest pleasure we can realize. If his love is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit - we can be happy anywhere, happy under any circumstances!

Not only so - but believing that his love is set upon us, knowing that he is unchangeable in his nature - we can rejoice, even when we do not taste its sweetness in our souls. To know that Jesus loves me, pleads for me with his Father, is preparing a place for me in heaven, and will soon come and receive me unto himself, cheers me in the stormiest day, and comforts me in the darkest night. I know that I may hang on his arm, lean on his shoulder, and cast all my burdens on his back. He will never forsake me. As the eternal God, he is my refuge; underneath me are his everlasting arms, which arms will take me up, bear me on, and, at last, place me before his glorious face forever! O Jesus, let me trust in your atoning blood, plead your spotless righteousness, rely on your glorious grace, and rejoice in your tender, constant love!

Reader, JESUS IS AN ALL-SUFFICIENT SAVIOR! He is sufficient for you. I know not who you are. I care not what you are. Be you who you may, be you what you will - I recommend Jesus to you. If you wish to be saved from hell - if you desire to ascend to heaven - if you want a friend that will never leave you - if you want a fullness that will always supply you - if you wish to be provided for in life - if you wish to be prepared for death and eternity - I recommend Jesus to you. He will do for you, exceedingly and abundantly, above all that you can ask or think. He will bestow upon you more than human eye has ever seen, more than mortal ear has ever heard, more than the most capacious intellect of man has ever conceived of! His fullness is illimitable. His mercy is from everlasting to everlasting. His faithfulness is like the great mountains. He is in one mind, and none can turn him. Whom he once loves - he loves unto the end.

If you have never given your heart to Jesus, if you have never made proof of his love, if you have never felt the efficacy of his blood, if you have never tasted the sweetness of his grace - come to him at once - come now - he will receive you graciously, he will love you freely!

But if you are a believer in Jesus, if you know his name and trust in him, if you have received his word, and embraced his righteousness; then, however it may be with you, whatever may be the state of your mind, whatever the circumstances in which you are placed, still cleave to him with full purpose of heart. He may hide his face - but he will never forfeit his word. He may not shine upon you - but he will never cease to love you. The mountains may depart, and the hills be removed, yet his kindness shall not depart from you, nor the covenant of his peace be removed.

Let the sinner come to Christ, and let the believer cling to Christ, and both saint and sinner shall prove, in life and in death, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, in plenty and in poverty, in time and eternity - that he is AN ALL-SUFFICIENT SAVIOR.

Had I ten thousand gifts beside,
        I'd cleave to Jesus crucified,
        And build on him alone;
        For no foundation is there given,
        On which to place my hopes of heaven,
        But Christ the corner-stone!

Possessing Christ, I all possess;
        Strength, wisdom, sanctifying grace,
        And righteousness complete:
        Bold in his name I dare draw near,
        Before the ruler of the sky,
        And all his justice meet.

The Voice of the Clock

Sitting in my school-room one Sunday morning, waiting for the clock to strike seven, in order to commence the early prayer meeting, I was struck with what appeared to be the loud ticking of the clock. "Tick, tick, tick" it went. I listened, it seemed to be different to its usual tick. I suppose that my imagination began to work, for I thought it seemed to say, "Life, death; Life, death; Life, death!" It awed me; I felt solemnized. I took out my pencil, and dotted down a few thoughts, which I think may be useful.

Life is introductory to death. Life is now, death will come soon. The pendulum, reaching one side says, "life," - a child is born; it reaches the other side and says, "death" - a soul is departed. How small a space there is between life and death, in every case; but how very small the space between the life of one, and the death of another - only the swing of the pendulum. Let us listen to the teaching of the clock: "LIFE, DEATH."

Life now - death soon.

What is your life? It is but a vapor, that appears for a little while, and then vanishes away.

What is life? It is like the beautiful eastern flower, that grows in the morning, reaches perfection by noon, and fades when the sun sets!

What is life? It is like the shadow that continually shortens until the sun reaches the meridian, and then it is gone.

Life is now, this moment. I am not sure of the next. Now I am strong, before long I may be paralyzed. Now I have my reason, momentarily I may be unconscious. Now I may do great things, and secure great blessings; in a moment I may have no power, and my last opportunity may be lost.

Now life - soon death!

Yes, even now death's commission may be signed; even now, his arm may be uplifted, about to strike the fatal blow! Many every day are taken away with a stroke. No warning is given - but as swift as the movement of the pendulum, the arrow flies, the heart is pierced, life rushes forth, the work is done!

Do we realize the brevity of life as we should? Are we affected by it as we ought? Are we prepared for sudden death? These are solemn questions. Life with us will soon end; death will soon make its appearance; and then, prepared or unprepared, we must obey its mandate, we must depart!

Let us use the present - to prepare for the future. During life, let us learn to conquer death. This can only be done by faith in Christ, union to Christ, and fellowship with Christ. Faith in his blood, union to his person, and fellowship with him as the fullness of God.

Life is for work - death is for rest.

LIFE is for LABOR. Labor for the body; labor for the soul; labor for the family; labor for the church; labor for God. Solomon said, "Everything is full of labor." Life was intended for employment. Each of us should have something to do; plenty to do. That to do, which is worth doing. Unless we are employed, we cannot be happy. There is no law that anyone should be happily unemployed. God has created no place in which an idle person can be happy.

We must work - if we would eat with an appetite.

We must work - if we would sweetly sleep.

We must work - if we would be respected by man.

We must work - if we would be honored by God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

Light for Dark Days
From Timeless Grace Gems
By James Smith, 1859

One of the rules of God's church is "If any man will not work - neither shall he eat!" Let us think it an honor to work for our daily bread; but let us not labor only for the bread which perishes - but for that also which endures unto everlasting life, which the Lord Jesus has promised to give us. Let nothing satisfy us but an interest in Christ, a part with Christ, and the enjoyment of Christ.

Having realized our own salvation by faith in Jesus, then life is to be spent for the good of others. "Let no man seek his own - but every man another's welfare." "Look not every man on his own things - but every man also on the things of others."

Look at their ignorance - and endeavor to instruct them; look at their degradation - and try to raise them; look at their danger - and try to snatch them as brands from the flames. "Others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire." The grand work of believers, is instrumentally to save souls from death. On this - every Christian's heart should be set; toward this - all our energies should be bent. Labor for souls, to win them to Christ, is labor for God, and labor for God cannot be in vain.

We never knew a case, we have never heard of one, in which a believer's heart was set upon the conversion of souls, praying for them, and using means in dependence on the Holy Spirit to win them - which was not crowned with success. Life is given us to spend for Jesus, in conquering his foes, aiding his friends, relieving his poor, teaching his young ones, comforting his old ones, and directing his bewildered ones. "We live unto the Lord;" so said Paul of himself, and of the primitive saints. Oh, that it could be said of all professors now!

DEATH is for REST. Yes, the poor body will have rest enough in the grave. As the body of Jesus, worn out with labors, watchings, fastings, sufferings, and mental agonies, rested sweetly in Joseph's tomb; so shall our poor bodies, when worn out with disease, sufferings, and labors for God. In this, we shall be conformed to Jesus, and there is something sweet in being where Jesus was, and in being made conformable to him. The shroud, the coffin, and the grave - will be sweet to the exhausted laborer in God's vineyard. He will have no dying regrets; he will have no fears of the future; but his work being done, he will lay down on his dying pillow in faith, and say with sainted Simeon, "Lord, now let you your servant depart in peace, according to your word!"

Nor will the body lie always in the grave, for the resurrection morning comes, and in the morning it will awake, and made like unto the glorious body of Jesus, will be a fit companion and residence for the glorified spirit forever. Yes, the poor body must rise again, after it has rested - but not as when it went to sleep - but freed from all deformity, disease, weakness, and every cause of pain - like the beautiful body of unfallen Adam, or the more beautiful body of the risen Savior, it will rise powerful, spiritual, and incorruptible, to unite with the soul in glorifying God forever!

Death is for rest; not merely for the rest of the body - but for the soul. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, from henceforth; yes, says the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works follow them." They rest from labor, not from service; for the serve God day and night in his temple.

Sweet, sweet, inexpressibly sweet - will be the rest of the soul in the presence of Jesus, when absent from the body - we are present with the Lord. Then we shall rest from the painful inward conflict. No more will there be flesh to lust against the Spirit; no more shall we cry out, "I am carnal!" no more shall we utter with deep groaning of soul, "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death!" We shall rest from all the opposition, persecution, and reproaches of the world. We shall rest from cares and fears, from sighs and sorrows, from despondency and gloom! Yes, death is for rest!

The battle is then won,
        the race is then ended,
        the conflict is forever terminated,
        the pilgrimage is honorably finished.

Rest, rest, rest forever - is the privilege and portion of the Lord's poor, tried, troubled and restless ones, by and bye. Let us then labor on earth - and expect to rest in heaven; and if tempted to complain of the cross we have to carry, or the hard road we have to travel, let us remember that we have not yet come to the rest and the inheritance which the Lord our God gives us.

Once more let me listen to the clock, and catch its monitory lessons. It seems to say: Life is for prayer, death will introduce praise.

Yes, LIFE is for PRAYER. Humanity is tried by many needs; and for all those needs, God has provided. The provision He has made is in the person of His Son, and to the fullness of Jesus we are lovingly invited. Prayer is the means appointed by which we may receive a supply for all our needs. No place is unsuitable for prayer; no time is unseasonable for prayer. Men are exhorted to pray everywhere, and to pray without ceasing.

If pains pierce us, or needs pinch us,
        or dangers threaten us,
        or desires work powerfully within us
         - we should pray.

Prayer is a remedy for most of the ills of life; prayer is a principal part of our preparation for death; prayer . . .
        brings us into God's presence,
        gives us courage in the prospect of appearing before God's throne, and
        admits us to the sweetest enjoyments of the spiritual life. Prayer . . .
        proves our spiritual birth,
        is necessary to our spiritual health, and
        crowns all our spiritual efforts with success.

Life is for prayer, and while life lasts we should pray for ourselves and for others - for temporals and for spirituals; when life ends - prayer ceases, and ceases forever!

DEATH will introduce PRAISE. We practice and learn to sing on earth, we shall eternally praise in heaven! We begin to praise in life, it will be perpetuated after death. Praise is one of the grand and glorious employments of heaven. Death alone opens the door of the grand orchestra, and admits us to the choristers of the skies. Everything we see, or hear, or feel in Paradise - will be calculated to excite gratitude, and call forth praise - they never cease praising God day nor night. As one who has a taste, a passion for music, never wearies of it - but ever enjoys it - so glorified spirits never cease praising God, and while they praise, their joys kindle more and more! They who pray on earth - will praise in heaven. Prayer is the seed of praise; it may now be sown in tears - but it will assuredly be reaped in joy by-and-bye. But I must let the clock tick on, and enlarge no further. One word at parting.

Reader, you have life now - how do you employ it? Death will come to you soon - in what state will it find you? Are you in Christ? Do you believe in His blessed name, and rely on His precious blood? Rest not without full satisfaction on this point; it is of the greatest importance. Life or death, eternal life or eternal death hangs upon it!

LIFE is for work - how do you employ it? Have you obtained the living bread for yourself? If so, do you now labor to bring others to seek it?

Death is for rest - is that your prospect? Do you expect that death will introduce you to the rest prepared for the holy people of God? If you are one of God's people it will, not else. Death makes no mistake - it never sends a saint to hell, nor an impenitent sinner to heaven. O that you were wise; that you understood this; that you would consider your latter end!

Life is for prayer - do you pray? Do you pray daily? Do you pray with the heart? Is prayer a part of the every day business of your life? IS IT?

DEATH introduces the Lord's people to praise; have you any well founded hope of this? It will either introduce you to the hallelujahs of heaven - OR the groans of hell. Which will it be? WHICH?

May the Lord bless these lines to you, and make them a means of blessing to your soul.

Oft as the bell, with solemn toll,
        Speaks the departure of a soul,
        Let each one ask himself 'Am I
        Prepared, should I be called to die?'

Only this frail and fleeting breath
        Preserves me from the jaws of death;
        Soon as it fails, at once I'm gone,
        And plunged into a world unknown!

Then, leaving all I loved below,
        To God's tribunal I must go;
        Must hear the judge pronounce my fate,
        And fix my everlasting state!

Lord Jesus, help me now to flee,
        And seek my hope alone in Thee;
        Apply your blood, they Spirit give,
        Subdue my sin, and let me live!

Then, when the solemn bell I hear,
        If saved from guilt, I need not fear;
        Nor would the thought distressing be,
        'Perhaps it next may toll for me!'

Rather, my spirit would rejoice,
        And long, and wish, to hear your voice;
        Glad when it bids me earth resign,
        Secure of heaven, if you are mine!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the