Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Questions regarding hell.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions regarding hell.  (Read 1417 times)
BranMuffin

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

I'm new here, but i just have a few questions about hell.
There probably wont be a complete agreement on this one, but what exactly is it, is it a purely spiritual place of torment, physical torment, or both?
Is it really eternal, or is it closer to the catholic's purgatory?
What is preventing another fallen angel such as Lucifer in the new world? (more about that later)

My questions about hell are about the second question. Hell seems to be a place to punish people for their sins when they are not Christians, but why would it be eternal? The purpose of punishment in the Bible is for the betterment of the person, but if its eternal, the person cannot get better.

And about the fallen angel in the new world, i have always heard that after Jesus comes back, all the Christians will go to heaven forever and everything will remain good, but what if someone becomes prideful, like Lucifer, in the new world?
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »

Christians believe that there will be a judgement. In this, everyone's life will be evaluated. Those who depend upon Christ for salvation can be assured that they will pass this judgement. However the quality of their lives will still become known, and everything in their lives that was not built on Christ will be purged. The Bible talks of their work being tested with fire.

All major Christian traditions say that in the end everyone will end up in either heaven or hell. At first glance, it sounds like we won't be held accountable for what we did, as long as we manage to meet the minimal criteria for ending up in heaven. In fact there are several ways of maintaining some kind of accountability.

Protestant groups are still concerned to maintain accountability for what has been done during life. Many Protestants believe that there will be different levels of honor in heaven. Many Protestants also believe that even saved people will go through a process where their entire lives are reviewed and judged, even though their final destination is not in doubt.

Currently there is a good deal of discussion among Christians about the morality of hell: it is said that a good God would not condemn people to an eternity of torture. However that has been the belief of Christians through most of Christian history, it is supported by the Bible.

My  Christian position is that anyone who rejects Christ will end up in hell. Does this mean that only Christians can be saved? The Catholic church and many Protestant churches don't think so. They believe it is possible that Christ can come to someone in an inward and spiritual way, even if they've never heard of Christ. Thus someone can be an "anonymous Christian." That is, they can know Christ spiritually without realizing it it Christ. Please note, I strongly disagree, with this Theology.

Most Christians also believe that God's judgement will take into account the sorts of opportunities a person had to learn the truth. A person who has never heard the Gospel can't be said to have rejected Christ. An even worse situation occurs when Christians have persecuted other groups. A person who sees Christ as a persecutor has hardly had, if any a real exposure to the Gospel.

Jesus Christ gives a frightening picture of hell, in Luke:

Luke 16:22-28 the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

"Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" (Hebrews 9:27). How are we to understand the descriptive language about heaven, hell, the New Jerusalem, and the lake of fire? Unless there is a clear contextual reason, the language of Scripture should always be taken literally and be viewed from its plain and simple meaning. But human language is inadequate to describe either heaven or hell. The realities of both fall well beyond our most imaginative dreams. It is impossible to describe the glory and splendor of heaven and the terror and torment of hell. Whether taken literally or figuratively, the meaning is the same: Hell is a place where one will experience total separation from God; heaven enjoys the total presence of God.

Hell is fire, plain and simple. The man in Luke 16:24 cries: ". . .I am tormented in this  FLAME."

Matthew 13:42, Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 25:41, Jesus says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting FIRE,. . ."

Revelation 20:15 " And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE."

Judgment of the wicked. The final judgment for the wicked is a frightening picture. Called the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15). Jesus Christ is the Judge. Judged are all the wicked dead from all nations and all times. They are judged according to their works while living. No one at this judgment escapes or is acquitted. "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:14,15). We customarily refer to hell as the end that awaits the wicked. The wicked here are all who have rejected Jesus Christ as the Savior who died to make them righteous.

Some teach that hell is not eternal torture, but rather eternal cessation of existence. This false teaching grows out of inability to understand how a loving God can mete out such a painful punishment. Others ask, "How could a God of love send people to hell?" The answer is that He doesn't. Only those who willfully turn from His Son Jesus as their source of salvation go to hell. In this life we are constantly confronted by the overtures and invitations of a God of love. But He is also a holy and just God. He must punish the wicked who turn away from His holiness.

From my website Christanity Rocksi

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »

I'm new here, but i just have a few questions about hell.
There probably wont be a complete agreement on this one, but what exactly is it, is it a purely spiritual place of torment, physical torment, or both?
Is it really eternal, or is it closer to the catholic's purgatory?
What is preventing another fallen angel such as Lucifer in the new world? (more about that later)

My questions about hell are about the second question. Hell seems to be a place to punish people for their sins when they are not Christians, but why would it be eternal? The purpose of punishment in the Bible is for the betterment of the person, but if its eternal, the person cannot get better.

And about the fallen angel in the new world, i have always heard that after Jesus comes back, all the Christians will go to heaven forever and everything will remain good, but what if someone becomes prideful, like Lucifer, in the new world?

This is a rather strange way to start on a Christian forum, but I'll assume you really want to know for now instead of being here to mock and play with Christians. The answers to these questions and many more are already answered in great detail on the forum, but I'll give you some brief answers.

First, the Holy Bible is the sole authority on these questions. So, if you dismiss the Bible, you would also dismiss the answers. Yes, hell is real, eternal, physical, and spiritual. The purpose for hell is not to make the person better, rather for deserved punishment and rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord. It's a serious matter to reject your creator and the Holy One who died on the Cross for your sins. This is especially true when considering the fact that God has provided a means of Salvation in the form of a Gift by His Love and Grace.

Are You Lost? will give you a lot of information and answers to some of your questions.

Heaven is also quite real and eternal. Christians have the temptation for sin in this short life - but not the next, so there aren't any fallen Christians from Heaven, nor will there be. This short life is like the blink of an eye compared to Eternity, so the ultimate reality is Eternity and where you will spend it. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are unique - yet one - The Almighty Creator. You have this short life to decide yes or no to God. If you die in your sins and rejection of Jesus Christ, there is no second chance.

I hope this answers most of your questions.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:14 AM »

Brother Tom! I thought you were more loving then that. Please remember that not all non Christians that have questions are trolls. There is nothing wrong with someone not introducing themselves first.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:12 AM »

David, you should know by now that Brother Tom would not come out with that if there weren't other reasons than what is seen here to justify it.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »

Brother Tom! I thought you were more loving then that. Please remember that not all non Christians that have questions are trolls. There is nothing wrong with someone not introducing themselves first.

Brother David,

Your last two posts to me were attempts to slam me on the public forum. You have my private email for that, and this is going to stop. I deleted your last one, and I don't intend to debate the actions of moderators on the public forum.

It's really none of your business, but this person is part of a group of atheist trolls who even talked about hacking Christians Unite and taking it down. All the rest of this person's group are banned - I quit counting at 5. The next time you want to slam a moderator, do it by private email. I'd also ask you not to jump to conclusions and make assumptions based on 1% of the information.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the