Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  What are you doing? (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Jesus in conversations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus in conversations  (Read 2831 times)
nancy8867

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »

Hey all!  I am so excited to have found you all.  K, Here it goes.  When talking with someone and they are telling you the problems in their life and as you listen, all you can think is, "wow, this person needs to find the Lord!", how do you present that to a person, when asked for your opinion?  

I have had a couple of women talk with me, then ask for my opinion on what they should do and I'll tell them to pray or to research their problem in the bible.  Their response to me is always......a rolling of their eyes or a, "yeah, whatever".   UGH!!!!  People that like frustrate me.  I think the lord sends them all to me too!    I have even talked about what Jesus has done for me and it's like I'm talking to brick walls.  So any info on this would be great!   Thanks!!! Smiley
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 09:39:49 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Nancy8867,

First, I would tell you that telling people about Jesus is never wasted. You might not see the final results of the Biblical help you gave. Some people may stew in their own misery for a time and remember what you told them. Please don't let it upset or disappoint you when you don't see immediate results. You may never know how long it took or how many other witnesses it took for that person to yield to Jesus.

Just be thankful that God is giving you opportunities and take advantage of them. When those in misery roll their eyes at you and indicate a complete lack of interest, tell them some more, offer to pray with them, and tell them you will be praying for them. I'm not suggesting that you hold them down long enough to witness to them. Above all else, always remember that giving out HIS WORD is never wasted. I hope this helps some.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »

Amen, BEP!

And its always good to remember that while we have a duty toward other people to show them Christ, we are NOT responsible for saving them. That is the job of Holy Spirit. Some may plant, and some may weed and water, but salvation belongs to the Lord.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 12:15:39 PM »

Very good question Nancy.  Very good answers too!

We should never waste an opportunity to share Gods love with others.  But at the same time, being too super spiritual seems to put God out of reach for some.  Don't get me wrong here, we need to offer prayer and scripture, but we can and should do it in a way that has a real world effect for their real world problems.   Most people's problems stem from not following a Godly lifestyle.  Of course, most of them don't realize this.  Yes, sometimes being blunt is called for like you say, by telling them they need to search Gods word, or by offering prayer.  Sometimes helping out directly is called for, by being compassionate, lending a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, offering to go with them and stand by their side etc etc.  Jesus always had the right words for people. Sometimes it was beyond them, other times it addressed their direct needs.  He had impact on people!

Most people that don't know God, usually don't know they need him.  Just by showing love to others in a situation, people will sense something the world has not given freely to them before.  90% of the time, this will open the door to share with them where this love comes from, and at the same time, you have helped them experience that love in a real way, rather than showing them the roadsigns.  Love is something everyone knows they need, and it will get their attention.

Like willowbirch says, we can't save them, thats Gods job. But we can certainly show them the result salvation has had in our own lives, by loving them and helping them, where their other friends would just offer advise and say good luck.  You can assist them through their problems (if possible) and be there at the end to introduce them to the Lord who's been loving them through you.   Actions speak louder than words.  This coupled with prayer and scripture is dynomite!  Some people may still roll their eyes, but I think you will start to see more raised eyebrows in the long run.   Smiley

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 07:54:11 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy and Willowbirch,

AMEN BROTHER AND SISTER!

I was just thinking about a comedy sketch done by Bill Cosby with the whole subject being the family and children. I was remembering him talking about his wife when one of the children started rolling eyes at mom. Mom was heard saying, "Don't you roll those little eyes at me, I'll pluck them out." I don't suggest we do that while witnessing.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

joidevivre

Jesus says "come to me and I will give you rest"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 02:28:57 PM »

First find out what the person "needs" from their point of view.  Sure, they all need Jesus, but there is a way to put all their frustration and depression in one "need" word that is tangible to them and within their frame of reference.  

Then, meet them at that place..and slowly, prayerfully, work in how Jesus could help them with that need.   I love how Jesus told us to give our enemies a drink of water ( a very touchy, feely sort of thing.)  He healed people and met them at their point of need  before preaching.

Maybe you might hear they need a friend - they are lonesome - now don't just tell them about Jesus.  Remember, you ARE Jesus to that person, and you might have to hang around them a little (read my nesting post)  

Most need love - or to be heard - and you can certainly do that.  They will meet Jesus through your actions first.

Joidevivre in Christ
The Crusader
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 09:38:29 AM »

Hey all!  I am so excited to have found you all.  K, Here it goes.  When talking with someone and they are telling you the problems in their life and as you listen, all you can think is, "wow, this person needs to find the Lord!", how do you present that to a person, when asked for your opinion?  

I have had a couple of women talk with me, then ask for my opinion on what they should do and I'll tell them to pray or to research their problem in the bible.  Their response to me is always......a rolling of their eyes or a, "yeah, whatever".   UGH!!!!  People that like frustrate me.  I think the lord sends them all to me too!    I have even talked about what Jesus has done for me and it's like I'm talking to brick walls.  So any info on this would be great!   Thanks!!! Smiley

I think the lord sends them all to me too!    I have even talked about what Jesus has done for me and it's like I'm talking to brick walls.

Same here Smiley

Your friend and brother

The Crusader
<Smiley))><
tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:50:54 AM »

Nice question Nancy,

The biggest lesson I have learned is to not try and "jam" everything into a single conversation... it is somewhat tempting because all of these thoughts/scriptures are rolling through our mind... an abundance of scriptures is excellent for fellow believers but too many can be overwhelming for "non-church goers" aka non-Christians.

If people are coming to you to talk about events/situations they must trust and respect you!  No matter their reaction they are listening to what you’re saying.  Even in the worst case scenario... i.e. "they totally reject what is being said" they are rejecting the Lord... and NOT you!!!  As humans we have a tendency to take things personally...this is the human side in ALL of us. Wink  Realizing that people are rejecting the Lord/Christianity has been a major key in my witnessing... in those cases I just pray about the planted seed. Cool

Tony
archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 12:41:59 AM »

Sometimes when others seek our help we are so busy thumping our bibles that we can't hear what they really are asking us...i.e. "how would you handle this problem?".
We need to remember to be Christlike in our witness...not just "act like Christians"  and put their need to understand ahead of our need to "preach" to them.

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
carsncandy

I am saved !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 08:37:41 PM »

Hang in there ! I had a wonderful friend (she's in the arm's of Jesus) her name was Nancy. She was the biggest "Jesus Freak" I ever knew, she never missed a chance to tell about the Lord and what He had done. She was such a huge blessing to so many people, some didn't even know it, you reminded me of her. So I'd say to you, The Word says His word would not return void, and it will acomplish the purpose He sent it forth for. (read Isaiah 55:10 &11). Cool huh.You go girl...water the earth with the words of God.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew thier strength. They wil soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
street preacher

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 04:26:26 PM »

I think that we need to model our witnessing techniques after the greatest evangelist who ever lived.  Jesus Christ!

Jesus always said what he said in love....bottom line.  We need to learn from that example as well.. Amen?

However, Jesus never compromised the absolute truth of his word out of fear of someone being offended at his message.  The rich young ruler in Luke 18 & Mark 10 walked away from Jesus upset, but Jesus did not run behind him apologizing for hurting the man's feelings.  He kept preaching the TRUTH.  Don't shy away from what you know is right.  The gospel is truth.  Without the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, people will spend eternity in hell.

Not only Jesus but Paul and the desciples took to heart preaching the gospel the way that Jesus did.  Guys like Spurgeon, Wesley, Whitfield, Finney, and Moody understood how to win souls the way that Jesus did.  Unfortunately, we have abandoned that model in our quest to become relevant and entertaining to a sinful world.... As though Jesus needs our help to spice up his message.  

If you are truly interested in knowing how to effectively share your faith the way that the Bible instructs us,  go to www.thewayofthemaster.com.  Like I said earlier,  all this is said in love.  Something that is impossible to convey in a forum such as this.  But truly, I weep for those who retreat into the safey of the churchhouse while 150,000 souls enter eternity every day.  Most of whom are unprepared.  I hope only to challenge you as your brother in Christ.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the