Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away..  (Read 5028 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:11:14 PM »

OK, gang – it seems some of my study topics have been real duds (not generated a lot of interest) but let me try another one:

Acts 8:28-30
So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.
But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.

We know from a little earlier in the Chapter (8:26) that the Lord led Philip south on the road to Gaza.  Exactly how far south it doesn’t really tell us, although the same verse tells us it was in the desert, (and obviously by a body of water since he baptized the eunuch). Azotus, the Greek name for the city of Ashdod was a Philistine city (Josh. 15:47), and is about midway between Gaza and Joppa (or Jaffa), and 3 miles from the Mediterranean.  Taking this into account, Philip may have been fairly close by Azotus.  

In verse 29; “…the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away”.   Do you think this means Philip was ‘divinely transported’ to Azotus, or did he simply leave the water without the eunuch noticing and walk a short distance to the city? If he was 'divinely transported' it is quite a miracle! Other than Elijah, Enoch and of course Christ Himself, is there any biblical evidence of others being ‘divinely transported’?  

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 05:42:56 PM »

Judge  

Beam me up
Reba
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:10:05 PM »

John 6:21-25

21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and was at the land whither they went.

22 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but immediately the ship that his disciples were gone away alone;

23(Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks:)

24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.

25 And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
KJV
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 07:32:32 PM »

Beam me up

Ah, Reba, dear Reba;
How dost thou try to annoy me?
Let me count the ways;

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ....

247, 248, 249, 250, 251....

663, 664, 665, 666

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:35:53 PM »

John 6:21-25

Yes, we are aware that Jesus "beamed" around...

But - do you think Philip was "beamed" from the Gaza Road to Azotus.  Huh

JPD
Reba
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 09:40:28 PM »

Judge  the Words of Christ to Saul/Paul where.....

Acts 9:4-5

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
KJV

Was it Jesus Saul was throwing rocks at? Or was it Stephen Etc?  

Could it be  Phil and who ever wrote the book of Acts ( that is a can of worms hehe and i aint fishing) understood the true meaning what it is to truly be ONE WITH HIM?  John climbed out of a pot of boiling oil... and  if  Scotty can do it  Jesus surly can...
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 09:47:59 PM »

Dear Reba, you tickle me to death.

FYI - Acts was written by Luke - prior to the writing of the Gospel of Luke.  At least that is the popular "Protestant" opinion, (sorry - I am unqualified to give you the Catholic opinion) and if you read them consecutively you will find the writing style supports that opinion.

I attribute the basic "yes" and "no" answers on this forum to you, and I ain't got one yet.  Grin

JPD
Reba
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 11:56:52 PM »

I have been around forums for about 4 years now and have learned that everything is can of worms.  It is interesting how much infulence the Greek Doctor has on the church.

Matt 5:37

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
KJV
 Tongue
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 07:31:43 AM »

lol...you guys kill me!   Cheesy

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Reba
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »

You dont think i REALLY made him mad ya  Tim?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 05:18:05 PM »

Reba I think our new job description is “entertain Tim”.

JPD
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 08:37:25 AM »

Perhaps a key to understanding here is the word caught.

It is the same word used in Thessalonians for what many refer to as the rapture.

Strong's Number: 726
Transliterated: harpazo
Phonetic: har-pad'-zo

Text:  from a derivative of 138; to sieze (in various applications): --catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).

The Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away. It does not say the Spirit put him in Azotus, but that Philip was found there.

Off hand with out much research can not think of any other instances like this other than the ones already mentioned.

Ollie
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 08:39:59 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Reba
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2004, 10:13:20 AM »

lol...you guys kill me!   Cheesy

Your still posting... Cool
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 10:25:00 AM »

Reba I think our new job description is “entertain Tim”.

LOL...yes and doing a great job!  I'm lovin it...<cue mcdonalds music> da da da da da!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2004, 06:42:52 PM »

Perhaps a key to understanding here is the word caught.

It is the same word used in Thessalonians for what many refer to as the rapture.

Strong's Number: 726
Transliterated: harpazo
Phonetic: har-pad'-zo

Ollie

Bro. Ollie:

You are quite right in focusing on the words "caught up". This supernatural catching away or snatching up was true for Philip and will be true for us at the Rapture.  In the meantime are we preaching the Gospel as diligently as the evangleist Philip, or are we caught up in the things of this world and trivial pursuits.  May we all remember daily that the Rapture is followed by the Judgement Seat of Christ, at which each one of us who trusted in Him will give account.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the