Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Computers & Kids
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computers & Kids  (Read 1016 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »

Do you feel kids are protected adequately by current software/technical measures in family computers?

Alternatively, is it possible to have adequate control?

Do you think we're breeding a new, young subculture that is totally internet or media controlled, distinguished only by those who will learn how to manipulate the system, as opposed to most others who will know only how to submit to it?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 12:10:11 AM »

Do you feel kids are protected adequately by current software/technical measures in family computers?

Do you think we're breeding a new, young subculture that is totally internet or media controlled, distinguished only by those who will learn how to manipulate the system, as opposed to most others who will know only how to submit to it?

Oklahoma Howdy to Symphony,

Brother, these are excellent questions. I think that I might have somewhat reasonable answers for the first two questions, but I'll have to think about that third one.

I'm positive that the answer to number one is "NO". Adult supervision is absolutely required when children use the Internet.

I think the answer to number two is a possible "yes". I can think of a rather odd way this might be accomplished now by an average person with a good fire-wall program. One would take the fire-wall concept and reverse it. The primary purpose of a fire-wall is to block what is bad, and part of that can be with the use of IP number blocks. Take the opposite approach and block the entire Internet with a range of IP numbers that could probably be written in one line. You then go in and list the only IP numbers for the sites you wish to allow, completely reversing the intended use of a fire-wall.

In theory, this would work, and the parent could pick and choose the only Internet sites that computer would connect with. The current approach is the opposite, a huge list of sites to block, and I do mean huge. The current approach fails because new sites are added every day around the world.

That third question is too tough without some thought.

Love In Christ,
Tom

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 01:44:30 AM »

Sure, just unplug it from the 'net'.  But I guess that isn't what you mean.

Anything else is a trade off between how much freedom you want them to have, and how much risk you consider acceptable (as in all other aspects of life).  Current systems can do a pretty good job of stopping the vast majority of stuff, but ultimately there's no substitute for human supervision.

Why don't you think kids can learn the middle way, to use the opportunities to best/most appropriate effect?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 03:28:44 PM »

I agree with Mr. BEP on the first two questions.

Maybe I’m misreading the intent of your question, but this is how I see it.  Historically (and hysterically) Christians fall into the group called ‘conservative’ – tending to oppose change, traditional in style, cautious.  Computers have created rapid change.

In this case I think ‘controlled’ is a little strong – ‘heavily influenced’ definitely.

Let’s compare your question to the advent of the automobile.  Certainly conservative Christians opposed it (just look at the Amish who still have not accepted automobiles).  And, eventually there were some who may have been ‘controlled’ (wander-lust, etc.) but most just used it the way it was meant to be used – as a ‘tool’ of transportation (‘submitted’ to the system), and some ‘manipulated’ the system (I think this is where the “subculture” comes in) by building hot-rods, racing, becoming ‘used care salesmen’  Angry and having a lifestyle totally dependent on automobiles.  

Sure, computers can be dangerous for the kids – just as cars remain to be.  That’s why we have legal controls including age limits, etc. for their safety.  

You can take the example above and substitute television for automobiles.  

I think the biggest problem lies is the extra burden it puts on us as parents – just what we needed – something else to have to protect our kids from.  That’s why I moved the family computer to our dining room; so my daughter can be easily monitored while she is ‘surfing’.  But to be completely honest, having the computer in the most public part of the house keeps me honest also – if I’m ever tempted to ‘surf’ where I shouldn’t, I’m also being watched.  Embarrassed

If a child abuses the computer it should be unplugged (or as Mr. BEP said – install electronic controls that will limit surfing to specific sites).  

One other thing – on a positive note – (at least for parents) the computer also gives us one more thing to use as leverage:  “Young lady if you do that again you will be grounded for a month – and that includes grounded from the computer!”  Hey – it’s worked for me.  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the