Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Drinking alcohol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drinking alcohol  (Read 3342 times)
davidhump

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »

I first want to let anyone who reads this that I am new to the website and interested in alot of these topics but I have one that is one my mind.   I'm a adult Christian but there seems to be a grey area in the bible when it comes down to drinking alcohol.   I know that it is not right to get to blackout of course but I'd like to know some other peoples opinion on the matter?
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

Hi David, welcome to Christians Unite!

I think people should drink only on special occasions. Also shouldn't drink in presence of people who believe drinking is wrong.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »

I first want to let anyone who reads this that I am new to the website and interested in alot of these topics but I have one that is one my mind.   I'm a adult Christian but there seems to be a grey area in the bible when it comes down to drinking alcohol.   I know that it is not right to get to blackout of course but I'd like to know some other peoples opinion on the matter?

Hello David,

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME!

This must be a very important topic for you since you went right to it. First, it should be a given that alcohol causes untold misery and death. Children go hungry so that parents can feed their addiction, and alcohol is responsible for the breaking of many homes. Nobody knows how high the numbers are, but alcohol is most definitely a plague of mankind.

As a Christian, what might the questions be that should arise when talking about alcohol. One of the first questions might be:  what kind of living testimony do we want to have before men? We already know how addicting it is and some extent of the misery it causes. As Christians, do we really want to encourage or approve of alcohol consumption? By the way, this should not be a legalistic issue for Christians. Some try to label Christians as legalistic if they don't drink or don't approve of drinking. What we don't approve of is the conduct, the effects, the end results, and the horrendous misery. I've already heard all the arguments about responsible drinking, and I'm not interested. In my opinion, it's just plain wrong and a poor testimony for Christians to drink. Some Christians disagree, and the reasons they list aren't worthy of the discussion.

The Holy Bible mentions sober, soberly, drunk, drunkenness, etc. many times. I don't know how many pages I could fill with examples, but you can look for yourself. Christians should serve as an example to others - especially their children. But, some come back and say something like I only have a couple and don't even get tipsy. What about the countless millions who got hooked and did a lot worse. What about the children who watched, were neglected, and were abused with alcohol as the root cause? What do we want to teach our children? Please don't say to be responsible drinkers.

I'll speak for myself and say that I think drinking alcohol is a horrible example and testimony by a Christian - even if they are "responsible drinkers". As far as I'm concerned, alcohol is one of the whips of the devil to torture people, and it works amazingly well.

Romans 13:12-14 (KJV)  12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.   13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.   14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to [fulfil] the lusts [thereof].

This is all I have to say on this matter, and I have no desire to debate it. There is no good for a Christian to discuss about drinking. The best some can muster is to say that we aren't under the Law. I already know that, but I also know that God's Word tells us not to call evil good.

I'm free, and I give thanks every day that I'm not under the Law of Moses. As a Christian, I have the liberty to do many things that I DON'T. I want to be a good example for others and have a pleasing testimony for God.

Galatians 5:13-14 (KJV)  13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.   14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I hope you enjoy Christians Unite.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »

Hello davidhump,

Welcome to the forums.

I agree with what blackeyedpeas has said on the subject. I couldn't have said it any better.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »

Remember, Jesus drank wine and even turn water into wine for people to drink. Therefore, it isn't a sin.
All we can do is teach the consequences of drinking too much.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »

Remember, Jesus drank wine and even turn water into wine for people to drink. Therefore, it isn't a sin.
All we can do is teach the consequences of drinking too much.

Hello Brother David,

Most of the wine spoken of in the Bible was nothing more than grape juice. They didn't have refrigerators then, so many things fermented fairly quickly. Even then, the alcohol content of the wine mentioned in the Holy Bible was extremely low. Intentionally strong wines were known as strong drink.

Whether this is known as a sin or not would be one of those legalistic arguments, but we're not under the Law. I tried to explain that. There are many things that are legal for me to do that I don't because of the example and testimony I want to set. Most Christians should be more interested in this than a legalistic argument. What I do might not be sin, but I should be concerned if it leads to sin and the misery of others. And, I am concerned with that.

Love In Christ,
Tom

davidhump

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

Thank you for everyones thoughts!  Im still pretty new at reading and understanding the Bible. 
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »

Thank you for everyones thoughts!  Im still pretty new at reading and understanding the Bible. 

Hello David,

We had a major and heated debate on this issue quite some time ago on the forum. As a very sad irony, there was a lady in the discussion who lost her brother to suicide that very week. The cause of the suicide was alcohol abuse. She left and hasn't been back. I mentioned this to indicate what a painful subject this is for some people. Anyone is welcome to debate this issue on the forum, but I have my own reasons for not wanting to participate in the debate.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the