Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Free
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free  (Read 1545 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:31-32

The knowledge of the truth that comes only from a yielded and obedient disciple is a truth that frees that believer.  But what exactly is that believer free from?

This is something that God has been working on in my life of late, that I thought I might share here.  Just a quick warning or two though.  I'm not posting this in order to debate.  I'm simply sharing the wonders of God's word and the truths therein in love.  And also, it might be a lengthy post!  Don't worry.  I'm not turning into A4C!   Grin

What is it that I, as a believer, am truly freed from?  Jesus gives us the answer in the verses following:

Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.  The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever.  So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

John 8:34-36

Simply put, I am free from SIN[/b].  This is a concept that many struggle with, yet is a concept that God graciously gives His word for us to understand.  Let us leave notions and philosophies at the door and see God's word for what His word says.  Shall we?

His word says that I am free from SIN'S PENALTY[/b]:

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sin? But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sin every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,   "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
   but a body have you prepared for me;
in burnt offerings and sin offerings
   you have taken no pleasure.
Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
   as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'"
When he said above, "You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings" (these are offered according to the law), then he added, "Behold, I have come to do your will." He abolishes the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.  And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Hebrews 10:1-14

What was sin's penalty?  DEATH  The law by its very nature condemned.  If not those who failed to obey and come to God on the basis of belief, then upon the sacrifice that those who did believe brought.  There was always blood.  There was always death.  The law demanded such - even physical death for those who failed in keeping certain commandments!  

Yet when Jesus died on the cross, He did what no sacrifice ever could have done.  Jesus performed the Day of Atonement sacrifice.  He, as the High Priest after the order of Melchizedec, brought the blood, His blood, to sprinkle on the mercy seat.  Not the blood of goats and calves which merely covered, but did not remove sin, but His blood, which takes all sin away.  As the priests of old would symbolically lay the sins of the people on the head of the remaining, and living goat (Leviticus 16), so Christ took our sins upon Himself.  As the goat was led away from the camp year after year taking the sin of the people with it, so Jesus took our sin away - not for a year, not for a decade, but once, for all time.  The sins that used to mount up year after year and required by God the shed blood of the goat and the scapegoat to take the sin away, have now been abolished.  Christ died once for me.  That death was perfect, His sacrifice was complete.  The Old Covenant and its practices are done away.  The New Covenant and its blessings have been ushered in.

If God has so completely met the price He Himself demanded in the sacrifice of His Son that He Himself bid come...how then could such a sacrifice require my adherence to a law COMPLETED[/b] by Jesus in order to be maintained?  I do not seek debate.  I ask only that you consider this truth.  My friends, my brothers and sisters in Christ, this truth will set you free.   Smiley

CONTINUED
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 10:55:28 AM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 09:55:57 AM »

CONTINUED

Many will go through their lives holding to the need of obedience to maintain the salvation God so completely has provided.  Why?  Because of the very nature of sin I believe.  Each believer knows that sinning is wrong and has no place in the life of the believer...so how then can a believer sin?  By living to the flesh and not in the Spirit.  We are flesh and we do sin.  But the death that each sin I commit commands according to the law was accomplished by Christ's death on the cross.  So how then am I, as a believer to view and deal with my sin?

I do so by realizing my freedom once again.  I, as a believer, am free from SIN'S POWER[/b].  Paul teaches us in Romans 6:1-14...

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.  Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

...that I am dead to sin!  How can a dead man be active in something other than rotting?  He can't!  As I am dead to sin, I am alive to God.  My members are His, bought by His Son's blood, redeemed by His Son's blood and empowered by His Spirit.  Here is a thought that I think many tend to forget.  Can a dead man be guilty and sentenced to death for sin?  Only if he is dead in sin.  And what does Paul say?

And you, who were[/u] dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

Colossians 2:13

How can I, as a dead man, be held responsible, or even be active in committing the sin Christ was condemned in my place for?  Simply, I cannot.  I am dead to sin but alive unto God through Christ.  This truth can set us free.   Smiley

Here's the thought though that I struggle with...how is it I, as a redeemed slave of Christ can continue to serve my former master?  Why do I keep sinning?  I answer that with James assessment of what lies at the heart of every sin:

Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

James 1:13-15

At the heart of every sin I commit is my own desire.  I have no business committing such sins - yet I do!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?!  The answer is so simple we overlook or trivialize it.  GOD[/b].  If my desires are wrong, I must have my desires changed.  We spend so much time changing behavior and our obedience (or lack thereof).  But how much time do we spend allowing God to change our desires?  And if this is God's plan, how then do we allow such desires to be changed?

Delight yourself in the LORD,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:4

Smiley  I am free from SIN'S PROMISE[/b]

Do you struggle with fear of condemnation for failure to obey?  DON'T!!  Christ took our failures upon Himself.  Do you struggle as do I, with failure to obey God, and so find yourself yielding your members as servants to unrighteousness?  DON'T!!  Moreover, realize that it is the desire that lies at the root.  Change your behavior in obedience.  Allow God to change your desires as you take joy and pleasure in Him, as opposed to the fruitless, yet promising temptations we so often give into.

I am not condemned by my sin.  Jesus took all of my sins away.  Yet I am not condemned to live a life of defeat in sin.  My friends, this truth can set us free.

CONTINUED
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 11:03:39 AM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 10:34:27 AM »

CONTINUED

There are many other aspects of my freedom from sin as well.  Sin holds no promise for me and one day, will have no presence around me!  But what else, as a believer, am I free from...or rather to?

I am free to boldly come before the Mercy Seat of my God and ask for grace and mercy to help when I need it most...

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Hebrews 4:14-16

I am not restricted to stay behind the veil!  What once only one man could do and at that only once a year, I now can do hourly - am even told to do so continually, thanks to the once for all sacrifice of Christ!  Believers before were bound.  I, am free.

I am free to live in liberty:

"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.

1 Corinthians 6:12

There is no law to condemn me, nor is there any law to confine me!  If God has not said "No!" then I am free!  I can go to movies!  I can listen to music other than hymns!  I can dance with my wife, teach my kids to bowl, wear popular clothing and rent movies!  Many of the restrictions we impose upon ourselves, and in turn expect to be imposed on others, are nothing more than convictions.  Convictions are good, and may even be the right thing for you to do.  But there is no law holding me to your convictions, or you to mine.  All things are lawful unto me.  They may not be best.  They may be enslaving at some point.  But so long as I...

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31

...do so to the glory of God, then I am not enslaved.  I'm enabled.  God is good!  He has set me free.  This truth has set me free.  Do I live a debotched life?  NO!! I live in thankfulness to God!  And remember, at the heart of sin is personal desire.  If God is my desire, then my liberty in Christ will not exceed the guidelines of prudence God gives in His word.

CONTINUED

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 10:46:07 AM »

So my friends, how do you see your life?  Do you see yourself free from sin?  Do you see yourself free to God?  He has granted us such privilege to know Him, to know truth.  And that folks, will set you free.   Smiley

Broken and poured out for the love of His creation
    God paid a debt that He didn't owe
Bearing my pain for not one was His equal
     And wearing my shame so that I could know Him

He gave us all He had to give
     So that we could truly live
So let's give all we have to Him
     So that we can be completely free

And as they placed the thorns on His brow
     As they drove the nails into His hands and His feet
He looked past the moment to where we are now
     And gave us the victory from what seemed His defeat

He said here's my body, it's broken in two
     Here is my blood, let it cover you
All that I have is now yours to receive
     Payment in full so that you can be free

He gave us all He had to give
     So that we can be completely
Oh without a doubt completely
     So that we can be completely...

Free

By Mike Weaver of Big Daddy Weave

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 11:23:50 AM »

Good message

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 01:23:12 PM »

Amen! Thanks for posting this brother.  I was truly blessed by it.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 02:47:51 PM »

What do you know, miracles still happen! A4C made a short
post Grin Grin

Just joking bro, I enjoy the truth of your wisdom.

Good post here bro!

respectfully yours in Yeshua:
ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the