Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Salvation? What must I do to be saved?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Salvation? What must I do to be saved?  (Read 3016 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2004, 12:11:21 AM »

Salvation? What must I do to be saved?

Act 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 04:14:27 PM »

Salvation? What must I do to be saved?

Act 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

As long as you understand that believing on Him is more than mere mental ascent.  You must believe His teachings as well as just accepting that He existed.  Even the demons do that much and tremble.  We must accept His teachings and obey the Gospel to properly accept the free gift of salvation.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 04:54:06 PM »

Salvation... what must YOU do to be saved?

Click on this site, read carefully and understand. If you believe it, repent and say the prayer in it, inviting Lord Jesus into your heart as the Lord of your life and Savior:

http://www.his-amazing-love.org/sarah.html

Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow! God has no partiality!!
The Crusader
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:13:20 AM »

THIS WAS YOUR LIFE

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp
Questionner
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 05:46:16 PM »

What do you make of this story then?

In it the people who are saved are not those that believed but those that visited the prisoner, fed the hungry etc whereas those that  are condemned are sent to Hell for failing to do these things.

How does this fit with salvation by faith then?

Best wishes

Q
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 06:01:40 PM »

What do you make of this story then?

In it the people who are saved are not those that believed but those that visited the prisoner, fed the hungry etc whereas those that  are condemned are sent to Hell for failing to do these things.

How does this fit with salvation by faith then?

Best wishes

Q
where did you get that from?
Questionner
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 06:10:45 PM »

Read the story - it is what it appears to be saying.

Please explain my mistake if it does not.

Thanks

Q
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 06:20:32 PM »

Read the story - it is what it appears to be saying.

Please explain my mistake if it does not.

Thanks

Q
im confused where is the story is their a link or something
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 06:22:54 PM »

Again, READ JESUS'S WORDS...ALL of them, for He alone knows the way to eternal life. Commit them to memory and believe EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
Questionner
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 09:36:33 AM »

Smiley
I am surprised that you find the story os hard to understand.

God judges people. Those that are saved are those that have visited the sick, and the prisoner etc. Jesus says that they have in effect been helping him. The judgement is not based on what the people believed. Indeed they are surprised because they did not realise that in helping others they were, in effect, helping Jesus.

The dammed are in the opposite situation. They did not visit the prisoner etc and for that they are condemned. Again their beliefs are not relevant. Perhaps some of them believed that Jesus was their saviour but, as they did not do good deeds they are for Hell!

So I wonder how this account of the Last Judgement is to be squared with 'justification by faith'?

All the best

Q
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 09:53:11 AM »

The Bible gives us clear examples of the fruit that should be evident in a redeemed vessel.  They are not the means but the fruit.

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you fail to meet the test! (2Co 13:5)

"fail to meet the test" means that you have not believed Christ for your salvation.

And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." (Mat 25:33-46)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 01:10:28 PM by I_Believe » Logged

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Questionner
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 01:06:14 PM »

Sorry 'I believe' but I just do not understand how your reply answers my question.

I wonder if you spell it out more simply for a slow old man like me.

Thanks

Q
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »

God made his righteous through Christ.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly... Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation... death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 5:1-21)

Then the righteous will answer him, saying...

Then he will say to those on his left...depart from me...Then they also will answer...

Are you of those he made righteous through faith evidenced by the fruit of your works or are you of those on the left, the ones He NEVER knew.

*** Many people confuse cause and effect.  They try to use the effect to establish the cause. ***

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Whom he predestined, those he also called. Whom he called, those he also justified. Whom he justified, those he also glorified. (Rom 8:28-30)

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up in the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'They will all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who hears from the Father, and has learned, comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father, except he who is from God. He has seen the Father. Most certainly, I tell you, he who believes in me has eternal life. (Joh 6:44-47)

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming. He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine, and will declare it to you. (Joh 16:13-14)

If you are not a believer...If the Father is not calling you then no amount of explanation will suffice.

If you are...the Spirit of truth has come and will guide you into all truth.

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Questionner
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 05:25:56 PM »

But the problem is that the quotes you give from St Paul seem to contradict the account of the Last Judgement given by Jesus.

I am asking for the explantion. How are the different texts to be harmonised. Just quoting them is no help.

Thanks for your attempt to assist.

All the best

Q
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 06:38:40 PM »

But the problem is that the quotes you give from St Paul seem to contradict the account of the Last Judgement given by Jesus.

Please describe the exact contradiction that you see and then I will see what the Spirit gives me as far as explanation.

Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, proof of things not seen. For by this, the elders obtained testimony. By faith, we understand that the universe has been framed by the word of God, so that what is seen has not been made out of things which are visible. (Heb 11:1-3)

..."Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and have believed." Therefore Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name. (Joh 20:27-31)

For we were saved in hope, but hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for that which he sees? But if we hope for that which we don't see, we wait for it with patience. (Rom 8:24-25)

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the