Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS "FAITH" THE "GIFT" OF GOD?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS "FAITH" THE "GIFT" OF GOD?  (Read 3147 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »

IS "FAITH" THE "GIFT" OF GOD?

BY RUSSELL S. MILLER

Is "faith" in Ephesians 2:8,9 the "gift" of God?

Some have taught that the Greek word here, for "gift", suggests that faith is the gift of God. Can this thinking really be justified in the light of what the Apostle Paul says of salvation in Romans 6:23? The answer is an emphatic "NO".

Meditate upon this for a moment: Who created us? The Scriptures reply with a resounding: "GOD". God, "who created all things by Jesus Christ" (Eph.3:9), created us in His own "image" and "likeness" (Gen.1:26). And this great and mighty Creator, who "formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul" (Gen.2:7), put within this man, whom He
had created, the ability to "seek the Lord" (Acts 17:23-27). This quotation from Acts is no less than the words of "the Apostle of the Gentiles" (Rom.11:13). Is there not within every one of us that vacuum that can only be filled with Christ? Yet the Apostle to the Nations declares:

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no not one" (Rom.3:10-12).

The Bible does not contradict itself here. God has built within every man, woman and child—upon creation—that ability within him to believe. He can discern the sky; he can choose whatever he pleases; he can believe a lie. If man is responsible before God, and he most assuredly is, then he may choose to "receive" the gift of God:

"For the wages of sin is death; BUT THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD" (Rom.6:23).

It is not that he is unable to believe the gospel, as we have
demonstrated, rather it is a matter of his will. Consequently, man will stand to give an account to his Creator, for his faith—his ability to believe—is indirectly given of God in creation. Man, however, is a rebel from his birth, and intentionally disobedient. In the words of John 3:18, "...he that BELIEVETH NOT IS CONDEMNED ALREADY, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God". This is why his sinfulness is defined in terms of "total depravity".
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Subscribe at:
http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/twominut.html
Two Minutes With The Bible By Pastor Stam

Mailing Address:
Berean Bible Society
N112 W17761 Mequon Road
P.O. Box 756
Germantown, WI 53022

Web Site:
http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/
Gospel Books, Materials, & Free Mailings

Email: berean@execpc.com

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 09:46:42 PM »

He gives to every man the( a) measure of faith. In Romans somehwere.

aw
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 11:44:59 PM »

OK A4C – you’ve piqued my interest in a topic.  Great question!  “Is faith a gift”Huh??  Can I go for a while without any direct Bible scripture references???  I’ve just finished five 12-hour days at work to get a job out (14 hour days if you count the commute) so I’m kind of ‘punchy’.  However – I want to get in a thought:  

I think (I don’t know, I haven’t been taught, I haven’t read any scriptural reference) that God gave each of us the ability to have faith.  But actually taking advantage of that ability is up to each of us as individuals.  God gave us free will.  Faith is tied to free will.

Am I close?  I’m going to get about 10-hours sleep – reread this, and I’ll get back to you.

Your Brother in Christ,
JPD

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 03:45:18 AM »

I have no idea who Russell Miller is but,

I do know who my Lord is, and thru His inspired Word he says, I am justified freely by His grace (Rom 3:24) thru the righteousness of Faith, and it is an imputed righeousness (Rom 4:22-24) received by the Sanctifying FAITH in Jesus (Acts 26:17-18), the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. (Rom 4:13)

17  (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
18  Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19  And being not weak in the faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:
20  He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21  And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22  And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
23  [size=Red]Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;[/size]
24  But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on Him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; (Rom 4:17-24

Since it is clear that if "one died for all, then were all dead: (2 Cor 5:13), then if any be made alive it is because God has chosen and calls the dead to life and raised them in newness of life, this is hard to swallow by some, since they can't stand to hear that God soveriegly calls sinners to repentance, and gives hearing to those who trust His word spoken by His Son.

If the "righteousness of Faith" (Rom 4:13), is an imputed righteousness, then Faith is a gift, that is how simple this is..it has nothing to do with men, and everything to do with God.

As He has said;

Rom 9
11  (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that callethWink
12  It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13  As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14  What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy.
17  For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

So what is the end of the matter.............FAITH a FREE GIFT given solely by the Grace of GOD..

Blessings,

Petro

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 05:11:54 PM »

"FROM FAITH TO FAITH"

BY RUSSELL S. MILLER

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith" (Rom. 1:17).

What does Paul mean by the phrase, "from faith to faith", in this passage? His words in Galatians 3:23-25 may give us food for thought and substance to our faith:

"BUT BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, SHUT UP UNTO THE FAITH WHICH SHOULD AFTERWARDS BE REVEALED.
"Wherefore the Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
"BUT AFTER THAT FAITH IS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER A SCHOOLMASTER" (Gal.3:23-25).

Hence, the Apostle’s use of the phrase, "on whom the ENDS of the ages are arrived", and the Greek word, telos, in I Corinthians 10:11, is pertinent here, for Paul’s gospel is the unveiling of God’s "eternal purpose" in Christ. In his epistles alone we learn that "the time of reformation" had come as "works" gave place to the Age of Grace (Heb.9:10-14). This, then, and the passage in Galatians, gives us additional light and under-standing upon our text, "from faith to faith", in Romans 1:17. When God does something, it affects the whole Universe as is evidenced in the Epistles of Saint Paul concerning the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary’s cross.

"FOR HE HATH MADE HIM TO BE SIN FOR US, [CHRIST] WHO KNEW NO SIN; THAT WE MIGHT BE MADE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN HIM" (IICor.5:21).

Therefore in Paul’s gospel, both Jews and Gentiles can "now" live "without the law":

"Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
"WHOM GOD HATH SET FORTH TO BE A PROPITIATION THROUGH FAITH IN HIS BLOOD, TO DECLARE HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS THAT ARE PAST, THROUGH THE FORBEARANCE OF GOD:"TO DECLARE, I SAY, AT THIS TIME HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS: THAT HE MIGHT BE JUST, AND THE JUSTIFIER OF HIM THAT BELIEVETH IN JESUS" (Rom.3:24-26).

Thus in Hebrews 9:26 Paul’s words about our Saviour, and His finished work of redemption, are most significant:

"For then must He often have suffered since the foundation of the world: BUT NOW once in the end of the world hath He appeared to PUT AWAY sin by the SACRIFICE of Himself."

In the book of Romans we see that God’s righteous standards are maintained, "from faith to faith". Whereas God once required obedience to the Law of Moses for acceptance with Him, now, in this Age of Grace, you must accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior today, for His righteousness is "witnessed" by the Law and the prophets:

"EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD WHICH IS BY FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST UNTO ALL AND UPON ALL THEM THAT BELIEVE..." (Rom.3: 21,22).

How important Paul’s words are then, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved..." (Acts 16:31), and do it today.
Subscribe at:

Mailing Address:
Berean Bible Society
N112 W17761 Mequon Road
P.O. Box 756
Germantown, WI 53022

Web Site:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 05:34:08 PM by Ambassador4Christ » Logged

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 06:57:10 AM »

"FROM FAITH TO FAITH"

BY RUSSELL S. MILLER

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith" (Rom. 1:17).

What does Paul mean by the phrase, "from faith to faith", in this passage? His words in Galatians 3:23-25 may give us food for thought and substance to our faith:

"BUT BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, SHUT UP UNTO THE FAITH WHICH SHOULD AFTERWARDS BE REVEALED.
"Wherefore the Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
"BUT AFTER THAT FAITH IS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER A SCHOOLMASTER" (Gal.3:23-25).

So where did FAITH come from??  

And I mean SAVING FAITH, not just any ole run of the mill faith, men can conjure up.

It isn't like people get it while sititng around watching TV, and get an idea...

Has Russell ever answered this??

Petro

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 09:01:54 AM »

"THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH"

BY RUSSELL S. MILLER

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith" (Rom.1:17).

Nearly 500 years ago Martin Luther shook the world on the eve of October 31, 1517 when he stood against all the ecclesiastical powers of Europe on the truth of this passage.

"The just shall live by faith." This revelation Christ gave to the
Apostle Paul. Thus in his three quotations of that mysterious phrase of Habakkuk 2:3,4 we can glean some wonderful truths concerning the "revelation" of God’s Son (Gal.1:16).

"THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH" (Rom.1:17).
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Rom.5:1).

"THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH" (Gal.3:11).
"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the Law; ye are fallen from grace" (Gal. 5:2-4).

"THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH" (Heb.10:38).
"Now the just shall live by faith: But if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul" (Heb.10:38,39).

It has become very clear, then, that in Paul’s gospel, salvation for Jews and Gentiles is on the basis of faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ. And Martin Luther was right!

"But now the righteousness of God WITHOUT THE LAW is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
"Even the righteousness of God which is by faith [faithfulness] of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
"Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
"WHOM GOD HATH SET FORTH TO BE A PROPITIATION THROUGH FAITH IN HIS BLOOD, TO DECLARE HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS THAT ARE PAST, THROUGH THE FORBEARANCE OF GOD:
"TO DECLARE, I SAY, AT THIS TIME HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS: THAT HE MIGHT BE JUST, AND THE JUSTIFIER OF HIM THAT BELIEVETH IN JESUS" (Rom.3:21-26).
Subscribe at:

Mailing Address:
Berean Bible Society
N112 W17761 Mequon Road
P.O. Box 756
Germantown, WI 53022

Web Site:

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Reba
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 10:17:01 AM »

He gives to every man the( a) measure of faith. In Romans somehwere.

aw
You had left this posts so i handed you the chapter and verse.  just that simple
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 10:22:46 AM »

Okee dokee.

Grace X,

aw
rightdivider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 11:58:13 AM »

To everyone on this thread:

Hello, my name is Don. I am a monthly reader of the Berean Searchlight magazine, from which A4C has quoted. I do not understand why A4C is not giving direct answers to your questions, but instead keeps posting articles...at least that seems at first glance to be what he/she is doing.

Doctrinally I am pretty much in line with Miller, but I would not post articles by anyone, only to respond with MORE articles when questions are asked.

Just my two cents...looking forward to talking with y'all,

Don/rightdivider

Preaching Jesus Christ "according to the revelation of the mystery" (Rom 16:25).
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 01:07:31 PM »

Perhaps we have placed too much emphasis on hebrews 11 as an operational definition. Actually, it seems to me that Heb11 is describing faith in UNSEEN things such as the rapture and Second Advent. Those folks were willing to suffer and die because they had a VIEW of the unseen.

Faith for salvation seems to be a simple TRUSTING in the Lord for forgiveness of sins and the impartation of eternal life; eg., as a child. With the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, a person simply BELIEVES with the HEART that the record provided by God is true for them personally.

A response to the grace of God for salvation.

In prayer it would seem to be 1 John 5:14,15 and this is the confidence that we have in Him; that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us and if we know He hears us we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.

aw
The Crusader
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 06:55:02 AM »

To everyone on this thread:

Hello, my name is Don. I am a monthly reader of the Berean Searchlight magazine, from which A4C has quoted. I do not understand why A4C is not giving direct answers to your questions, but instead keeps posting articles...at least that seems at first glance to be what he/she is doing.

Doctrinally I am pretty much in line with Miller, but I would not post articles by anyone, only to respond with MORE articles when questions are asked.

Just my two cents...looking forward to talking with y'all,

Don/rightdivider

Welcome aboard Don/rigtdivider. Now that you gave your two cents, please go ahead and answer the questions. Don, Is Ephesians 2:9 your web-site?

Your Friend & Brother

The Crusader
rightdivider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 07:15:13 AM »

Good morning, Crusader!

Yes, Eph 3:9 is my website, and no, I do not believe saving faith is the gift of God.

Talk you you later,

r.

Preaching Jesus Christ "according to the revelation of the mystery" (Rom 16:25).
The Crusader
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 07:32:04 AM »

Good morning, Crusader!

Yes, Eph 3:9 is my website, and no, I do not believe saving faith is the gift of God.

Talk you you later,

r.

Good Web-Site

T.C.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 01:07:49 PM »

If FAith is not a gift of God,

How does a spiritually dead person acquire it, it is clear from the verses, I presented that Saving Faith is not the result of  mental or logical ascent since it is clear the "natural man receives not the things of God" 1 Cor 2:14.

Faith, is the result of Gods supernatural working in the Heart of the heathen in the drawing him/her to the truth and,  in the end the result is results in a New Heart and a New Spirit (Eze 36:26)

God commands, everyman everwhere to repent (Acts17:30), man cannot until God thru the active persevering work of HIS Spirit brings this individual to the illumined state, both to hear with the ear, and understand with the heart (Mat 13:11-17)

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

What I see, is christians, ignoring the fact the a spiritually dead person, cannot see, hear, let alone underdstand anything, this is why they reject, FAITH as a gift, being the direct result of GODS work, in that person (Jhn 6:29); they adopt it as their own work, they have accomplished.

This is why they proudly proclaim , I believed in Jesus, I came to the truth, I know the truth, I, I, I...............

So it naturally follows, that when one views FAITH as a work of man, contrary to the word of God, notice jesus words;

This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. Jhn 6:29

The man that sees his faith as a product of his own doing, that, now he must continue doing good works to continue being saved, work becomes the means of salvation NOT the result of it, to him.

How deceptive the teaching..

The Flesh prophiteth nothing, IT IS THE SPIRIT THAT GIVETH LIFE.

When the Gospel is preached it produces sight, hearing and understanding in those whom are called of God, this is what God claims in His word accomplishes;

His Word has produced His Work from the very begining, by it we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.  Isa 55:11

How anyone can claim, he produced Saving FAITH, when they heard the Word of God, is beyond me, ..............since it is clear it is God's WORK alone, which gives eyes to see, ears to hear, understanding to believe with the heart and, all they are sanctifying work of God the Holy Spirit.

Where are the scriptures, that refute this great truth?

Blessings,

Petro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the