Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  AXE IS LAID UNTO THE ROOT OF THE TREES
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXE IS LAID UNTO THE ROOT OF THE TREES  (Read 2314 times)
livingbyfaith

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »

Hearing a lot of sermons, I may think they were great but in such a short time I forget what it was about. On rare occasions I hear one that really impresses me and I don’t forget it. Today I heard such a one. It planted a small seed in my mind which led to this article I am writing. One idea led to another until the Holy Spirit led me to this topic.

I don’t try to copy the whole sermon but something he said struck me like lightening. It was about there being only two types of religion---one of works and one of grace. Many churches today think that by doing good works and lots of them, they will get to heaven. Grace is too high of a concept to grasp.

It is man’s ego and desire to be in control of his own life. He may say he believes in God as long as God doesn’t interfere in his own plans. God is only there to pray to when he gets into a jam he made for himself.

The meaning of grace (Hebrew) is “to bend or stoop in kindness to an inferior, to bestow”. In Greek, it means “the divine influence on the heart, and it’s reflection in the heart”. Both are great meanings. This grace can and does change lives when we accept God’s gift. Some may take offense in the thought that they are inferior to any one. They elevate themselves high in their own eyes. This is why pride is mentioned so much all throughout the Bible; old and new Testaments.

One meaning of pride is another amazing thing. In Greek it says “to envelop with smoke or to inflate with self-conceit. Also “the verb: to make a smoke; that is to slowly consume without flame.” When we think only of ourselves and how wonderful we are,
we become slowly burnt up by our own importance that nothing can penetrate through that smoke. God can’t even get through to us. We just won’t let Him in.

Grace is God bestowing us with gifts He wants us to use for His glory, not our own. He is all kindness to give us all these gifts. None are worthy to receive them.
In Matthew 8:8, the centurion humbly realized just how inferior and unworthy he was that Jesus should even enter his home to heal his sick servant. When Jesus said he would come and heal the servant, “the centurion answered and said: Lord I am not worthy that you should come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.” He had no doubt at all that this could happen. Verse 10 “When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to them that followed, Verily, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel”.

Where did this strong faith come from? Man does not receive it under his own power. It is a special gift from God. He did not give it to him because he was better than anyone else. The man used that gift. He probably never wondered where it came from or how great a gift it was. Just his declaration of his belief will be remembered by those who followed Jesus. Jesus made sure they did. Only one man of faith in all of Israel???

He was also given the gift of leadership. He could command someone to do something and they did it. I could tell someone to do something and they would just ignore me. I do not have the gift of leadership.

The greatest gift God has given anyone is the gift of Salvation. The other gifts are added as God sees fit. We get a touch of these gifts even when young. We all have a tendency to be able to do something special that others may not be able to do; no matter how little or big it is. He knows those who will use them and also those who will waste them. Yet he gives everyone a chance to do something special for Him. But using them for the world and without salvation is useless.

Ephesians 2:8-10 “For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourself: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man shall boast, for we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.”

We can’t boast about anything we accomplish. God alone makes us able to perform the job He planned for us to do from the beginning of time. We use these talents individually if only telling others, maybe only one on one, what God has done for us through His Son Jesus Christ. They should see in our life that we are different and want to know more about this wonder worker. Although a preacher stands in a pulpit in front of a few or many, he is no better than the individual nor any more worthy. He is just a man doing the work God gave him to do.

In Corinthians 12:1-11, Paul tells the congregation about the spiritual gifts God gives to His people that will benefit all. Some churches get so wrapped up about these gifts along with all the programs they think is necessary to please God that they forget the very core of “Church” at all and that is to make Jesus the Lord of their life. To give up their own rule and kingdom of self. Busy, busy, busy; too busy to stay with the basics (the roots) and they add their own ideas of what God wants. They may “talk” basics but their heart is not really in them. How many people are not getting “saved” because they think that they will get to heaven by their good works and many programs and much busyness.

In Luke 3:9, John tells everyone who would listen “Bring forth therefore fruits of repentance, and begin not to say to yourselves, we have Abraham to our father…And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees; every root therefore which brings not forth good fruit is cut down, and cast into the fire.” The good fruit is the souls that accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and abide by it.

He was mostly talking to the Jews who thought their relationship with Abraham would save them. John dispelled that idea when he said in the same verse “for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.” This is not just for the Jews but any one who believes in Jesus. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him, should not perish but have everlasting life.” We will be in the presence of the glory of God forever. And the Lamb is the light. Revelation 21:23

This is the core and full plan of God for our lives. Nothing else matters. God is all. God bless you as you think about this.

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »

This is the core and full plan of God for our lives. Nothing else matters. God is all. God bless you as you think about this.

AMEN SISTER JOAN! Your last sentence especially struck me as being the ultimate truth.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 4:1-18 AMP  THEREFORE, SINCE we do hold and engage in this ministry by the mercy of God [granting us favor, benefits, opportunities, and especially salvation], we do not get discouraged (spiritless and despondent with fear) or become faint with weariness and exhaustion.  2  We have renounced disgraceful ways (secret thoughts, feelings, desires and underhandedness, the methods and arts that men hide through shame); we refuse to deal craftily (to practice trickery and cunning) or to adulterate or handle dishonestly the Word of God, but we state the truth openly (clearly and candidly). And so we commend ourselves in the sight and presence of God to every man's conscience.  3  But even if our Gospel (the glad tidings) also be hidden (obscured and covered up with a veil that hinders the knowledge of God), it is hidden [only] to those who are perishing and obscured [only] to those who are spiritually dying and veiled [only] to those who are lost.  4  For the god of this world has blinded the unbelievers' minds [that they should not discern the truth], preventing them from seeing the illuminating light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ (the Messiah), Who is the Image and Likeness of God.  5  For what we preach is not ourselves but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves [merely] as your servants (slaves) for Jesus' sake.  6  For God Who said, Let light shine out of darkness, has shone in our hearts so as [to beam forth] the Light for the illumination of the knowledge of the majesty and glory of God [as it is manifest in the Person and is revealed] in the face of Jesus Christ (the Messiah). [Gen. 1:3.]  7  However, we possess this precious treasure [the divine Light of the Gospel] in [frail, human] vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding greatness of the power may be shown to be from God and not from ourselves.  8  We are hedged in (pressed) on every side [troubled and oppressed in every way], but not cramped or crushed; we suffer embarrassments and are perplexed and unable to find a way out, but not driven to despair;  9  We are pursued (persecuted and hard driven), but not deserted [to stand alone]; we are struck down to the ground, but never struck out and destroyed;  10  Always carrying about in the body the liability and exposure to the same putting to death that the Lord Jesus suffered, so that the [resurrection] life of Jesus also may be shown forth by and in our bodies.  11  For we who live are constantly [experiencing] being handed over to death for Jesus' sake, that the [resurrection] life of Jesus also may be evidenced through our flesh which is liable to death.  12  Thus death is actively at work in us, but [it is in order that our] life [may be actively at work] in you.  13  Yet we have the same spirit of faith as he had who wrote, I have believed, and therefore have I spoken. We too believe, and therefore we speak, [Ps. 116:10.]  14  Assured that He Who raised up the Lord Jesus will raise us up also with Jesus and bring us [along] with you into His presence.  15  For all [these] things are [taking place] for your sake, so that the more grace (divine favor and spiritual blessing) extends to more and more people and multiplies through the many, the more thanksgiving may increase [and redound] to the glory of God.  16  Therefore we do not become discouraged (utterly spiritless, exhausted, and wearied out through fear). Though our outer man is [progressively] decaying and wasting away, yet our inner self is being [progressively] renewed day after day.  17  For our light, momentary affliction (this slight distress of the passing hour) is ever more and more abundantly preparing and producing and achieving for us an everlasting weight of glory [beyond all measure, excessively surpassing all comparisons and all calculations, a vast and transcendent glory and blessedness never to cease!],  18  Since we consider and look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are visible are temporal (brief and fleeting), but the things that are invisible are deathless and everlasting.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the