Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Back again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back again  (Read 3302 times)
alice

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2004, 08:54:57 AM »

Those of you who read my "confused" thread back in December will know that I was having a severe crisis about what to believe.

I think that for the moment I have resolved my crisis and although my findings are a bit upsetting and not perhaps what you would all wish for me, I wanted to post a big thank you to all who made an effort to help me.

In particular, thanks to Tibby, Ebia, 2ndTimothy and Tom.

I believe that you are all kind, good, people and that your hearts are very much,"in the right place". I have had my eyes opened to certain "truths" in the last month and I am forced to reconsider the validity of some of my beliefs. This is not an easy process and has put an enormous strain on relationships with my family and some members of my community, but I have to be allowed to think for myself and those who try to stop me doing that are not helping me.

You guys were SO supportive at a really hard time, and no matter where I end up, I will always be grateful for that.

Love and peace to you all.

Alice
xxx
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 01:02:08 PM »

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 02:07:58 PM »

Truths? What Truths? Half the time, you didn’t post anything for us to address. You talked about websites that were convincing you, but you never posted them. The only questions you asked us where the ones in the opening post, and we answered all those. Truth? TRUTH? Please, how about you post some of these websites you where talking about? Then, we will talk “truth.”

Sorry this has been a hard time for you, but when you fear talking to your pastor, and you don't even want to talk to people on an anonymous website, is it any wonder you are feeling the way you are?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
teddi

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 03:05:42 PM »

Are you leaving, Alice?
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 03:09:39 PM »

Those of you who read my "confused" thread back in December will know that I was having a severe crisis about what to believe.

I think that for the moment I have resolved my crisis and although my findings are a bit upsetting and not perhaps what you would all wish for me, I wanted to post a big thank you to all who made an effort to help me.

In particular, thanks to Tibby, Ebia, 2ndTimothy and Tom.

I believe that you are all kind, good, people and that your hearts are very much,"in the right place". I have had my eyes opened to certain "truths" in the last month and I am forced to reconsider the validity of some of my beliefs. This is not an easy process and has put an enormous strain on relationships with my family and some members of my community, but I have to be allowed to think for myself and those who try to stop me doing that are not helping me.

You guys were SO supportive at a really hard time, and no matter where I end up, I will always be grateful for that.

Love and peace to you all.

Alice
xxx
Look up, Alice, look up.

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 07:40:35 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Alice,

I'm extremely happy to hear that things are working out for you. I realize that I'm probably the typical older Christian, especially when the subject is my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. The things of this world many times rob a Christian of the peace and joy that is possible when they seek the will of God and obey. Once you have experienced this peace and joy, you will want more. This can become a beautiful and precious relationship with Jesus and fellowship with His children.

Alice, I will continue to pray for you that your peace and joy in Jesus will grow and become the most precious portion of your life.

Love In Christ,
Tom    

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 07:45:19 AM »

Alice, I will continue to pray for you that your peace and joy in Jesus will grow and become the most precious portion of your life.

Love In Christ,
Tom    

Ditto to Toms post.   I too will continue praying for you Alice.
Just remember...

1Co 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 10:08:32 AM »

I have had my eyes opened to certain "truths" in the last month and I am forced to reconsider the validity of some of my beliefs.

Alice:

What are your beliefs and what is making you reconsider their validity? From what you posted originally you were under Satanic attack to disbelieve God, and even after many [including myself] suggested you trust God, you continued to express doubt.  So exactly what "truths" have your eyes been opened to?  

Satan deceives people by putting ideas before them that have no basis in God's Word, and because they sound rational or make sense, we can be deceived. So beware of the "truths" you have discovered.  Since you haven't told us what these "truths" are all the more reason to watch where you are headed.

May the Lord grant you grace to trust Him completely.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »

Alice,
Have you read "The Case For Faith" and "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel?  I strongly recommend them.

Don't give up on the Word yet.  God has taught us that the wisdom of earth is the foolishness of heaven.  Humanists can be very persuasive, but their science is flawed.

Did you know that the odds of perfectly functional gold wrist watches “evolving” on the beaches due to ocean waves reacting with beach sand is about a million times more likely to happen than pond scum crawling out of the mud and turning into man?  So – if you find a wrist watch on the beach, did it have a creator or is it the result of evolution?

Just something for you to think about.
God bless.
JPD

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 09:41:31 PM »

Just a little advice from me, Alice.

Regardless of where you are right now, don't stop praying.  Ask God to manifest Himself to you in a way that you KNOW it's Him.  Tell Him you WANT TO WANT to believe but you're research is leading you away from Him and you want Him in your life.  The bible doesn't say this exactly but it does say it's FAITH (not facts) that pleases Him.  There are many scientists, etc. who believe.  Maybe you might want to seek out those testimonies.

Peace and love!

cris

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 01:17:05 AM »

Thank you, Alice.  You've certainly been patient.  You are understandably testing every implication.  Obviously, what is worth having, if it can't be "tested".  We all want things of value, and things that are of any real value are simply those things that stand any test.

Instead of looking why believe, try for just a moment asking why not believe.  If you need citations on the following, I can provide them.

Time Magazine several years ago did a lengthy article on the b iblical time of Christ.  In it it cites the discovery in 1968 of the remains of man who had been crucified, dated to the 1st or 2nd century.  The distinction was tht the spike for his feet had been driven through the ankel, double; effectively the crucifixion was with the lower torso twisted.  Point: we know for a fact they were doing crucifixion then.

The timeline now, from 3000 B.C. onward, down to the time of Christ and after, is being further literally validated virtually daily, as new arch'l discoveries are being announced regularly.  Check out this month's edition of Biblical Archaelogical Review magazine(Jan/Feb 04); they are not known for their necessarily Christian sympatheis; they are predominantly academic and scientific, and pride themselves in that approach.  But skim through this current eidtion; you will find a plethora of just what will be unfolding in just this coming year.  A virtual litany of "digs" throughout Palestine and the Middle East generally, their backgrounds, what they have found in the past, what they hope to find and accomplish this season, etc.  And in the articles, they do refer to chapter and verse, literally, out of the Old and New Testaments.  Locations, artifacts, names and places are being validated, crossreferenced, cross-indexed more and more efficiently, with the advent of technology, like never before.

But just as importantly, don't forget to ask yourself about what Jesus was doing in the first place, what He claimed, what the story of the OT is--about sin, why would a "perfect" creature "need" to come in the first place; "HOW" could a perfect creature "save" us; do we need "saving"; "WHY" do we need saving; are we really sinners?

Obviousloy, if we are not sinners, the whole question in the first place is moot, pointless.

But if we are sinners.  And if we die.  

Is there Judgement?  Is there law?

The bible effectively answers all of these questions.

It's all very rich, very wonderful, what is beinjg discovered, and how it all fits together.

If nothing else, for a time possibly block out distractions and just sit down regularloy and casually but attentively read through the Word, one day at a time.  That's what I did, on my day off from work.  And I didn't listen to anyonje else during those times.  I just read through it, to "see" if these things are true or not.

Thank you.
alice

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 08:56:43 AM »

Thanks again for your replies.

I am continuing to read and study.
Judgenot, i will look into the books you named and will follow up on the gold watch idea too.

I'll keep you posted.

Alice
x
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 06:57:25 PM »

What if it turns out to be a mystery and you never do get all the answers, Alice?

alice

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 05:28:21 PM »

Symphony,

I dont expect to get all the answers. I know that if all the answers were out there, no one would disagree about this stuff.

I'm looking to see which way of interpreting the world makes the most sense.

I used to think that it was the Bible, but at the moment, I'm unsure.

Alice
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 08:38:19 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Alice,

I think that one of your problems involves understanding the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament, specifically what changed after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on the cross.

One has to understand the Old Testament before being able to understand the New Testament. Earlier, you made some comments about portions of the Old Testament. Most of the Old Testament involves the Old Covenant, Mosaic Law, and prophesy of things to come. The Old Covenant and Mosaic Law involves over 600 commandments that were directed to Israel, the Jews.

The core of the New Testament is Jesus Christ, Him dying on the cross for the sins of man, Him arising from the dead, Him ascending back to heaven, and Him being a Living Lord and Saviour to all who will believe and ask Him to be THE LORD of their lives. Jesus Christ brought the New Covenant to man. If you try to understand this and start studying the Holy Bible, you will see things in a completely different light.

Let me just give you one thought. The world is darkness. Those who are lost live in darkness. Jesus Christ is LIGHT. Those who have accepted HIM as their personal Lord and Saviour live and walk in the LIGHT, Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit lives in the heart of God's children and serves as a guide and comforter to God's children who will listen and yield. Walking in the Spirit (LIGHT) is seeking HIS WILL and letting HIM guide you to a path that will be most pleasing to HIM. The closer you get to HIS WILL AND PURPOSE, the more joy and peace you will experience IN HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the